Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooling Fans....
Hello all, me again.... I've got a snag maybe one of you could help with. I took BLM2Y nearly 200 miles today, and I noticed when on my way home the cooling fans were permanantly stuck on.... Whats the most likely cause of this....... ??? I know permanant fans is better than no fans at all, but them being on all the time seems stupid if this is just a sensor etc.... Just a few ideas, and where to look will be great.. She's going in for a service soon, so this can be done at the same time if I can get the part beforehand!!! Cheers all. Ben
Check the otterstat switch to see if it has stuck on.

http://delorean.com/dmcstore/ViewDir.as ... 1%2DEngine

No.65 thermo switch.

If it is 0 ohms (ie on) when the engineis cold then this is your problem.

NickT.
Thanks Nick... Ive got a sneaky feeling you are 100% right, I hope so.. I'll test it tomorrow... all the best mate... Mr.P
Hope so. I think the otterstat is the same as a metro but i can't remember the closing temp.

Better to have it fail in this position though !

NickT
Take my word for it though... to hear that roar everytime you pull up at a junction, it gets you down. I will defo test that, I know you are right, if you are not, I'll be in touch!!! Mr P Smile
hi

should be an easy one.

bottom left water pipe at back.
climb on hands and knees and look up. worth changing anyway if original

pull the lead and if the fans stop should be this.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
...unless you had your air conditioning on ?....
Good point Mike !
The stat was only replaced a few years back when I did the exhaust gaskets as I hit the stat with a hammer Big Grin But there not the most robust units ever and do go bad. I also upgraded the cooling fans breaker and has a fan zilla.
My first port of call would be the stat too.

Dave H was replacing them with a stat from a Metro, I think, they were a lot more robust but need a cable tie to keep them in as the original clip was too small.

The aircon was cycling a lot when I sold it and needed a refill, unless Ben has already.
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
Air con??? LOL Defo not... !!!! The roar was defo the cooling fans.... You were right guy's, popped the wire off the stat, and sure enough the fans went off one by one, courtesy of the FanZilla..... I've got a mirror switch and a stat on the way hopefully, just waiting for them to get back to me with a price..... Thanks for all your input guys, this will be changed within a week hopefully.....

APPRECIATED!!! I'll keep you all posted....

Mr.P
What Mike was trying to emphasise is that when you turn the air con on it also runs the cooling fans (,regardless of engine temperature) at the front, as this draws air over the condensor.

Nice to know it is an easy fix.

NickT.
Bloody otterstat!!! I ordered one from Ed in the Netherlands, and it came after about 10 days.... It was the same as the one that was taken out, but seemed to leak, so needed PTFE tape to seal it... then after running her for 20 mins, she almost boiled up... The previous otterstat had somehow started working in the opposide direction, and wasnt coming on at all, athough they were on when i started up this morning. Anyway, after boiling up, I ordered a metro one from a local motor factors as advised by you guys, and guess what?? Works a treat.

Cheers again all!!!
Mr P

Oh, PS Did oil & filter, plugs, multispark lead, mirror switch, aftermarket wire masking, and inner retention strips on bottom of inner engine compartment cover at the same time...
Result !

I bet the metro one was cheaper too.

NickT.
Yep it's a metro part,

You may have to file off a ridge on some of them between the pins in-order to geet them to fit.

If you like I can post the cross reference list if you want.

Dan
Sounds just what the club needs Dan !