Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member seeks Delorean
Hello Members,
I have recently joined the Club and thought I would introduce Myself, and give you an update on my progress to become a Delorean owner.
I am now looking to make my first Delorean purchase. I have carried out a lot of prep over previous months including watching all the usual internet web-sites, talking to private sellers and Dealerships in the States and I have also been reading The Illustrated Buyers Guide to Delorean Automobiles by James Espey. (But still realise I have a lot to learn)
Due to availabilty I have decided to purchase from the USA, however, If you are aware of any British based cars for sale, I will be interested.
With regard to Deloreans based in the USA, any help or advice on the purchase, price, import saga, would be really appreiated, also any potential problems that I should avoid.

Thanks inadvance for any help
Regards
Kevin
kp-dmc Wrote:Due to availabilty I have decided to purchase from the USA, however, If you are aware of any British based cars for sale, I will be interested.

There's this one in Northern Island, it has had a lot of upgades done, but still needs work on the transmission and some minor things.
Thanks Starglider,
I have seen the Lisbon NI car on Ebay, but looking for a low mileage in original condition.
Thanks Again.
Regards
KP
kp-dmc Wrote:I have seen the Lisbon NI car on Ebay, but looking for a low mileage in original condition.

There were a few in very good condition over the summer - I almost bought a low-mileage one in France - but apparently they all sold. P J Grady Europe still have Pilot 20 which looks stunning, but the details differ from the production car.
Hi Kevin,

welcome to the DeLorean Owners Club UK and the Forum, great to have you on board Smile

If you're free this weekend coming, come along to the NEC Classic Car Show, we'll have 3
cars on display and there will be plenty of us about to chat all things DeLorean with.

Also, check out the thread by Flux3d, he's in the process of importing a car and has also
got a blog about the car.

Good luck with your quest, your car is out there! Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi Kevin. As Claire says I'm in the process of importing a car myself. Although not without its stresses and problems its certainly worth it, plus you have far more choices over in the States. Check out the blog, http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.com.

If you want some specific advice on a car then the guys on here and great. Just post the details or pictures on here and people will be sure to tell you what they think. You can't get better guidence.
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.co.uk
Thanks Claire & Mark,
I will be watching the blog with great interest, I see your using Hill shipping, let me know what you think. What are your plans once the D hits Thamesport.
Having looked at all the different options, I think I will use a shipping company to get the vehicle to the port and on a ship in the USA, and then use the receiving agent to process the paperwork which initally looks like a lot of hard work, I want to just tip up with the trailer, get it home, and start on the MOT work.
Thanks again both,
Regards
KP
wherabouts in the country are you Kevin?

If you're in the Midlands area (or close by), there's plenty of us (and cars) up here
and we'll be glad to show you round them and discuss all things stainless over a brew
and a bacon butty Smile
Hi Claire,
I live near Ashbourne, Derbyshire.
It would be good to catch up and pick your brains, hopefully see you soon.
If there is a meeting of members in the near future in the Midlands area, please let me know.
In the meantime, if there is any advice that the membership can give me on potential purchasing prices in the States, for a low mileage, in good condition please let me know. it looks like the prices range from approx $20,000 to $30,000 for a low mileage example with little work needed.
Also, advice on shipping companies to use, and the best route to follow.
Thanks again
KP
really! we used to live near Ashbourne (Hulland Ward).

We're on the Notts/Derby's border now (NG16 area), there are several
cars near to you, so you'll be in good company when your car arrives, plus
your in about the busiest region for car meets, so there will be no excuse (bar
the weather) for you not to be out in your car next year enjoying it and the
'great British Summer'.

Also, dont forget our main event next June in North Yorkshire, including a scenic
drive round 'Heartbeat Country' and visits to Whitby and 'Aidensfield'.

We're also organising an Xmas meet near Buxton for next month, so it would be
great if you can come along and join us.
Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the club.
If you can use a spanner you should be fine. Lots of friendly people in the club to point you in the right direction if you get stuck.

To give you a example a few years ago a lad rocked up on my door step who lives in the same village as me . He had just bought a barn find non runner from Kentucky and would I be able to help him.
This car was straight but needed TLC. Within a couple of weeks we had it up and running. I spent a couple of weekends
helping and pointing out what needed sorting. Dean put in the hard graft of cleaning out all the fuel system during the week.

Regards
Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Yeah Kevin, using Hill Shipping to do all my transportation from the USA. Jamie there has been very good with emailing me back and forth with things. The hurricane hasn't helped things, and communication could have been better at times, especially just after the storm hit NY, but generally quite good. as for plans when the car gets into Southampton, well I'm trying to decide. A few people have said get the car over to P J Grady in Essex and have Chris there give it a once over, plus sort out the lights, fog light etc and MOT it. However he's a busy man and I'm not sure he'll be able to fit me in. Just waiting to hear back from him about timescales etc.

If he can't do it I'm very tempted to just have it transported back here and do the work myself. Could be the best introduction to the car, and it will get me stuck in with the mechanicals straight away. Got to learn sometime.

With all these new cars coming into the midlands area we should be able to create some sort of "support group" of new owners, that way we can help each other out.
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

Hi Mark,
How long were you looking for the right car, and what did you end up buying, grey/black, manuel/auto, mileage etc, it looks a cracker on title picture with the black side decals.
KP
Hi Kevin, not as long as you would think really, but then I was probably a bit lucky with the one I went for. Loved DeLoreans for ages, and always said I'd buy one if I won the lottery. The in the summer I decided to look into it a bit more, joined the club here and went over and saw some of the cars in the flesh at an air show. New from that moment I had to get one. The original plan was to save a bit more money and buy one next year, but then a couple of good cars came up on ebay, and I'm not known for my patience once I have a bee in my bonnet about something Big Grin . It ended up being the third one of these that I finally went for. I thought it would be out of my price range, especially as it had had so much work done on it and updates, but as it turns out my offer was accepted. This was after having offers turned down on a couple of other cars. Fate dealt me a good hand (hopefully)

Its a December 81, registered in Jan 82 model. Grey interior (which is what I wanted), manual, Ariel in the rear quarter, flat hood, 27,735 miles on the clock, black wide dealer stripe as well. Original ASI radio.

If you've not seen this book its great for anyone thinking of buying a DeLorean. Great read, and invaluable:

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID...7942971161
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.