Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A3 Colour Wiring Schematic Breakdown Information
Hey folks, Hoping to start a new thread here, for prosperity, where people can add questions and info and personal experience etc as we all go along.

To get the ball rolling, I whilst looking over this myself over the last week, I've built up some questions that maybe can be answered by some of you out there. I'm sure i'll have more as time goes by, but for the time-being, I think what i've got so far, should be enough for starts. I'm legitimately looking for some feedback on my questions, i've not started this on a whim. So any help would be appreciated.

Here goes:

Questions about Wiring Diagram:

1. 102 - Location 6,D - Auxiliary Relay. What is it, and where is it on the car?
2. 102 - Location 7,C - Auxiliary Relay. What is it, and where is it on the car?
3. 106 - Location 10,D - Main Fuel Relay - What does this do and where is it?
4. 107 - Location 11,D - Hot Start Relay - What does this do and where is it?
5. 108 - Location 9,D - Idlespeed Relay - What does this do and where is it?
6. 109 - Location 8,D - RPM Relay - What does this do and where is it?
7. 136 - Location 10,C - Coil. What it is, and where is it on the car?
8. 142 - Location 11,B - Frequency Valve. What is it, and where is it on the car?
9. 143 - Location 8,A - Cold Start Valve - What is it, and where is it on the car?
10. 144 - Location 8,B - Warm up regulator - What is it, and where is it on the car?
11. 146 - Location 8,C - Vacuum Solenoid - What is it, and where is it on the car?
12. 147 - 7/8,A - Thermo Time Switch - What is it, and where is it on the car?
13. 151 - location 8,B - Idlespeed Regulator - What does it do, and where is it?
14. 173 and 174 - Location 4,A - What are these? Where on the car?
15. Below 173 and 174 - Location 4,B - What is all this lot? Where on the car?
16. 232 - Location 11,D & F - Are these heaters not fitted to all cars? At what point were they fitted and what point, not? (Same question for the Diodes in a few places seen)
17. All of the mentioned capacitors on the circuitry of different capacitance values. Where are all of these kept on the car? Are they simply in line, soldered into the wiring in different places, or ar they contained in a central location?
18. At quite a few locations on the drawing, there is a mass connection for different wires. i.e. 6,B for the brown wires. Are these actual physical mass connections, or are they merely schematic representation, and actually doubled up connections all over different connected components throughout the car?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
You should be able to work out a lot of the "what does this do?" by simply reading the diagram, and identify the items in the car using the colour codes of the wiring, however:

1. In the relay compartment, big silver jobby. Makes one of the two clicks you hear when turning the key
2. In the relay compartment, big silver jobby. Makes the other of the two clicks you hear when turning the key
3. In the relay compartment. Powers lambda system and is unused on your car. On later cars, lives in a yellow socket
4. not present on the DeLorean but the socket with three wires at the back of the relay compartment is still there.
5. Idle ECU, black box behind driver seat, two white connectors.
6. Relay compartment, little black (usually) box with 6-way connector, controls fuel pump.
7. Really? You can't work this one out?
8: It would be on the right hand rocker cover, but you don't have one. It's part of the lambda system and dynamically adjusts fuelling
9. Blue thing on the left of the engine. Injects fuel, but only on midsummer's day when there's a full moon.
10: Often called Control Pressure Regulator (CPR). Left hand rocker cover, controls warm-up enrichment. Similar function to an automatic choke.
11. Behind fuel distributor, disconnects engine vac on the distributor at idle. missing on your car.
12. Brown connector on left hand side of water pump. Controls cold start valve as a function of engine temperature and cranking time.
13. Black 3-pin connector on left side of intake manifold. It plays a tune when you brake hard.
14. Reverse light switch and wiring (manual car)
15: Automatic transmission interconnect (auto car)
16: Wiring present, heaters never fitted.
17. All over the loom to supress EMI.
18: These are physical entities located in various places on the loom.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:7. Really? You can't work this one out?

A right sorry, this is the ignition coil. For a minute, I thought there was two coils, which is what was confusing me. "What is the other coil?" I was asking myself. Fair doos. Only one. Got it.

For the other answers Martin, thanks. If anyone else can provide me with the unanswered elements to my questions, it would be most appreciated.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Which elements were unanswered? What'd I miss? ;-)
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
stunned_monkey Wrote:Which elements were unanswered? What'd I miss? ;-)

I guess I was just looking for more of an answer than "Makes one of the two clicks you hear when turning the key" etc.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
One of the two is actually mis labelled. The one with the white control wire should be called the ignition relay. As for what they do... you've got the diagram... use it. I'm sure you're not asking what a relay is (?)
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars