Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many 2 day?
Hy guys,

How many DeLoreans are there today?

Somewhere I saw that they are about 3000, is that true you think?

Regards, Stefan Örn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DMC 1981 - the only one in Iceland
I've always been lead to believe, that out of the 9000 or so built, around
6000-6500 are still in existence.

Not a bad survival rate for a car that is now 30+yrs old Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Guinney1971 Wrote:I've always been lead to believe, that out of the 9000 or so built, around
6000-6500 are still in existence.

Not a bad survival rate for a car that is now 30+yrs old Big Grin

Shock Shock

Thats 66% in 30 years! Shock

Thats 1000 lost every 10 years
Thats 100 cars every year
Thats just over 8 cars a month
Thats 1 car lost every 4 days.

Shock

90% of all Rolls-Royces built since 1904 still exist. That's 10% loss in 108 years.

As a fair comparison with R-R at Delorean rates they'll be none left in 90 years since production, compared to 90% of R-Rs.

Now Claire can you see how shockingly terrible Delorean survival rates are. :wink:
VIN 4532

DOC-574
lol, but compare DMC figures to something like a Corvette of the same build time
- ie a comparable car - and I'm sure you'd come up with different figures (assuming
Corvette figures for 81-83 are available).

Rolls Royces and other prestige brands like Bentley, Aston Martin, Bristol, etc, will always
have better survival rates.
Oooh, can I play the stats game too? :wink:

Quote:90% of all Rolls-Royces built since 1904 still exist. That's 10% loss in 108 years.

Yeh, but that's a 10% loss between 1904 and 2012 not between 1982 and 2012

How many RRs were built between those dates, and of those, how many still survive as a percentage of total production?

As Claire says you're not comparing apples with apples. Given that a RR was considerably more expensive than the DeLorean
and thus likely to be cared for much more as a result, you must factor that price differential into the percentage
loss. Then you have to consider the type of person likely to buy a DeLorean vs RR I think it would be reasonable to
suggest that most RRs will be chuaffer driven, with great care and not particularly quickly...
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
LOL Rich,

You missed my point totally.
:wink:

Delorean was marketed as a sports/exotic car, and cost more than a Porsche 911 new. It is only fair to say it was therefore bought by affluent people, not just a car to go to work or serve the family or utilitarian purpose.

To loose 1 Delorean forever, every 4 days is a terrible thought.

I dont care if its a Skoda or a Rolls, you should cherish and look after it.

Sending it to the big scrapyard in the sky at such a rapid rate is unforgivable.

Thinking it's acceptable is also shocking, but a sad reflection of our throw-away society.

I thought this was the Delorean Club, as Delorean enthusiasts and custodians of the marque how can you think that this level of demise is ok?
VIN 4532

DOC-574
I've always wondered about that 6500 number. It is usually attributed to DMCH, so presumably it's based off their order books. But over what time period, its unknown.

As we know, there are cars popping up all the time that have been in storage for 20+ years, well before DMCH was formed.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Lets hope the demise continues cos in 2052 I'm gonna have one of the few remaining Deloreans and it's gonna be worth 1 Million pounds...... ( quote from Austin Powers ) ! It's my cunning plan. Unfortunately I may not be around to collect !!
Quote:You missed my point totally.
:wink:

I'm sorry, it was too well camouflaged as a quality comparison with RR Tongue

Quote:Thinking it's acceptable is also shocking, but a sad reflection of our throw-away society.

I thought this was the Delorean Club, as Delorean enthusiasts and custodians of the marque how can you think that this level of demise is ok?

I never said that.

Thinking about it, I've been quoting the 6000 figure for almost ten years now, so perhaps the initial decline has slowed considerably....?
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Hi Rich,

No you never said that, but Claire thought it was ok. :lol:

I'm sure we're below 6000 now. Cry
VIN 4532

DOC-574
If anything I reckon the number's goin gup given all the restorations that keep coming out of the woodwork. I've rescued four...
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Darren C Wrote:Hi Rich,

No you never said that, but Claire thought it was ok. :lol:

I'm sure we're below 6000 now. Cry

I never said it was ok to throw them away either Shock

Darren C Wrote:I thought this was the Delorean Club

nope, this is the DeLorean Owners Club UK :wink:
I've never agreed on the 6000 figure, that has to be too low a figure for a car that has less rust issues than most cars.

We've all seen loads of pictures of totalled, damaged, burnt out Ds on the internet. There's even footage of one being hit by a train!? But thousands can't be destroyed can they?

I don't know, lets say 1000 have met their demise over the years, I would say that a high percentage of these accidents happened in the first decade, at a time when people weren't as careful with them and a lot of them not having their safety recalls or being abused by their owners/drivers and climate while being used as a daily driver.

Many of the early cars were used as fleet rental cars & company cars and the later cars were sold at a large discount to people who may not have considered owning such a car beforehand. In the first 10 years of the marques life, I'd say, there were more DeLoreans 'on the road' than even today. So probability tells me that there were more Deloreans at risk of accident damage, etc then, than any time since.

Generalising, is it fair to say, for the first decade the majority of DeLoreans were used and (some) abused, the second decade a majority were put into storage due to overheating/mechanical failure, future investment or people getting themselves a new car, then the third decade has seen these cars brought out of hibernation and restored, cherished & loved again. Big Grin

So today there must be fewer DeLoreans ceasing to exist due to the enthusiasm and support for these cars nowadays, and if one does have an unfortunate moment, it is much more likely to be fixed and saved now than at anytime during the past 30 years. Mr Green

Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
thats actually quite a good point Stuart.

I think last year there was something about the DVLA 'knowing of' around
130 cars in GB - for NI you'd need to ask DVLNI - but if we assumed there
were around 20-30 cars over there, would that be accurate?

Then you have to find out how many are registered in all the other countries,
we know there are healthy populations of DeLoreans in Eire, Belgium, Holland
and Germany, but there are also cars in France, Sweden, Norway, Finland,
Italy, etc etc. There could be 500-1000 cars in Europe.

And what about cars in Africa? Middle East? Far East? South East Asia?
Indian Sub-Continent? The Russian Federation? Who knows? another 100 cars perhaps?

We know also that a few have made their way to Australia/New Zealand - at a guesstimate, maybe
another 50-100 cars?

So, that could account for around 1500 DeLorean's that aren't in the USA/Canada/South America.

Soooo..... if they built circa 9000, and 1500 aren't in the USA, then there's 7500 in the America's,
less any that have bitten the dust over the last 30 years - assuming 500-1000 have been
crashed/stolen/burned out/wrecked by film companies/broken for parts by vendors, then maybe
there could be closer to 7-8000 cars left worldwide.

However, no one is totally sure how many were built, there always used to be the 8583 figure banded
about, but then at DMCH in 2003, I remember James Espey saying they had bodies with 9200 build
numbers, so who really knows the true figure.

Short of doing a 'worldwide DeLorean Census', I don't think we'll ever truly know how many cars have
survived in one form or another.

Interesting topic though! Big Grin
Quote:were around 20-30 cars over there, would that be accurate

I think there are nearly as many cars in Ireland as the UK, seem to recall seeing a figure of 100+ somewhere a couple of times

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584