Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extending the years on tax exemption!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/historiccartax/

signing up to the above will increase the demand for improvement to the current tax emption that currently exists only for cars being regisitered prior to 1st january 1973.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
That's a little bit of an eye opener, I was under the impression that anything over 25 years old was classed as historic and thus road tax free, this has been the case with anything my Grandad has bought (he restores vintage lorries, steam engines, and tractors etc.) as I know all the vehicles he owns are tax exempt.

And there was me thinking if I bought a DMC at least I wouldn't need to worry about the cost of road tax for it, how much is a years road tax for a DMC anyways?
£175 last I checked, it's probably gone up.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
Rottbott Wrote:£175 last I checked, it's probably gone up.

That's not that bad actually, was expecting it to be a lot higher than that.

I get fleeced £175 to tax my 1.8 diesel "shopping cart" fiesta, which I think is a bit excessive for something as small as a fiesta, but hey ho.
MikeWard Wrote:That's a little bit of an eye opener, I was under the impression that anything over 25 years old was classed as historic and thus road tax free....

Hi Mike,

Labour scrapped the rolling 25year exemption from paying road tax after they came to power in 1997. (The tories have promised to bring it back in the last 2 elections btw).

A vehicle is now only exempt from paying road tax if it was manufactured prior to 1st January 1973.

I'm gonna SORN Flopsy next week as I havent got £175 spare to re-tax her. Cry Thankfully, Rapey being of 1968 vintage is exempt and her new disc is in the post as we speak.

The annoying thing is, is that when I convert Flopsy, Rapey and Guinney to run on eco-friendly LPG, I bet I wont get any thanks in the form of reduced car tax Sad Makes me wonder why I'm bothering some times..... :roll:

Mind you, LPG is only about 40p a litre (and even cheaper if you buy it in bulk Big Grin ) and the duty is a fraction of what it is on petrol and diesel - well, at the moment it is anyway......
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Yep wont be long before it goes up claire, remember when diesel was a lot cheaper than petrol, now roughly a third of new cars run on it so up it went Cry TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
You're not wrong there mate. Sad

I just get so bloody annoyed, because we're being lectured on green policies and saving the planet, so I'm prepared to spend the best part of nearly £1500 converting my 3 to run on LPG, a nice green fuel. Like you say, as soon as it catches on, and more people convert their cars to LPG, the government will realise they are losing revenue, and whack the tax up! :evil:

I wont get into a rant on here about it, as I dont want to be accused of spoiling things with politics :wink: but the people of this country need to take a stand before things get out of control. We are already threatened with road pricing complete with 'big brother' boxes in our cars.....whatever next?

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I wouldn't mind paying the tax if it went on sorting out the transport system, or the roads for that matter!!!!
Kelvin Tan
Well to be honest we should be payed to drive our cars for free,cos most cars are a bit too boring and it gives joe public something to talk about. i know it doesnt make sense but thats my philosify (cant spell :lol: ) anyway Cheers TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Here here Big Grin Big Grin
Kelvin Tan