Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home security - DMC minder
I'm getting close to bringing my car down from Edinburgh to Rugby for the summer.

As some of you are aware, I've been a little apprehensive about bringing the car down, and then leaving it unattended whilst I go about my daily business as normal.

SO...to try to alleviate some of these feelings, I’ve gone out and bought a CCTV system at the weekend, and an accompanying more expensive camera than that which you get with the system (which are fine for close up monitoring less than 10-15m away, but no good over a garden and driveway over 30-40m in length.)

My system has motion detection and night vision, and seems to perform quite well.

I’ve spent time over the weekend, and last night setting it up. I have to say, I’m quite pleased with the results I’m getting. I’ll feel happier knowing Lexi-baby is being looked over while I’m not around.

It has cost me about £360 to get what I have up and running, with another two lower spec cameras still to be mounted etc. Not that expensive to look over a £20k classic car I think.

Of course, all of this would not be necessary if I had a garage to keep her in….but hey, can’t have it all immediately.

Don’t know if anyone else has ever gone out and bought one of these systems or not, or has any experiences to share…
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I know Paul Birks has got a security system set up too, which he can monitor from his
smart phone or laptop when away - and his car is garaged.

Its something we're gonna be looking into this year too hopefully, as these systems are
certainly coming down in price now - and for the competent electronics DIY'er quite easy
to set up.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I have a couple of WatchBot's that I am going to install in our US pad. Nothing
complex. They use your wi-fi router.

They look pretty good for the money.
They email you if motion is detected and you can check out what's going on
via your mobile.

Also allows 2 way audio communication so at least you can give the tea leaf some verbal! :roll:

These would be dead easy to set up in your garage.

Regards
Nick
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
just did a search for Watch Bot on Google and came up with this

http://www.avforums.com/forums/monitors ... issue.html

sounds like there may be issues that could be a PITA to resolve all the time.

Anyway, security is something we will be addressing when the garage is extended (7 car garage Big Grin )
Thanks for the link Claire. It looks like I'll need to download the new firmware.
Garage security is taken care of by "Boco" who barks and has big teeth :lol:

7 car garage! Cool. Ours is 40sq meters with a 50sq meter gamesroom attached . Tam calls it "Casa DeLorean"

I like the your idea for a 2 post lift. Some good deals on eBay on used ones. You might need an inverter if it's 3 phase.

Sure beats working outside! I did the head gaskets outside and it was a killer. As was having the heads on the kitchen table when Tam walked in! :wink:

Regards
Nick
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
lol, well our current garage is 16ft x 23ft, and when its done the main part will be 16ft x 47ft,
with an extra bit on the back next to an existing outbuilding which will house the car lift and
car no.7 - and even after all that, there will still be 2 cars on the drive lol.

I've got visions of Tam waving a rolling pin at you whilst you work on engine parts in the kitchen lol