Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eBay DeLorean for sale - need advice please?
Hi there

I'm a new poster who has been saving his pennies for a long time now. And has finally got the OK from the missus to buy his dream car (a DeLorean of course).

As there appears to be nothing in the UK (for sensible money anyway), I have started to look at cars in the States. On eBay I've found what looks to be a nice original manual '81 DMC in San Fransisco. It's a bit rough, but has no overall body damage and mechanically is very strong (so the seller says anyway!).

It does have some faults though. The AC is broken, the front and rear bumpers need paint. The dash has cracks and the driver's seat needs reupholstering. Funnily enough my major cause for concern is there is a big chip in the windscreen. If this needs replacing how hard is this to get hold of? I should imagine a call to Auto windscreen would prove fruitless here. These faults appear largely cosmetic - but I presume still expensive?

The car is currently $18,000. This appears about 2-3K to expensive to me? I know that is only about £11,200 in proper money. But by the time you add on shipping it mounts up to a fair bit.

Any advise would be very welcome?

Thanks Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Hi Steve, windscreens are no problem over here, I know of at least three members who have had their screens replaced so not an issue. All you mention is perfectly doable in this country. As for the AC, id depends on what's broken - if it needs a new compressor they're cheaper from the US anyway, so you could perhaps arrange getting it shipped with the car to avois a separate import tax bill?

Good lcuk, R
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Hi Steve, windscreens are no problem over here, I know of at least three members who have had their screens replaced so not an issue. All you mention is perfectly doable in this country. As for the AC, id depends on what's broken - if it needs a new compressor they're cheaper from the US anyway, so you could perhaps arrange getting it shipped with the car to avois a separate import tax bill?

Good lcuk, R

Of course Rich, i'm not sure what compressors are being sold in the US now, but the old R12 stuff is no longer an option anywhere, and R134A is all but being phased out too, so it might be worth getting a more modern conversion doing to the car to be compatible with the latest stuff (of which i'm not sure of the name of off the top of my head - but is now being used in new cars i believe)

I'm thinking of getting LEX converted to something up to date an modern when i get the chassis off job done.....which will be done.....at some point.

Anyway, Steve, welcome to the club. As Rich says, windscreens are no problem here. Euroglass i think it was got an example of one of our club member's windscreens for mass remanufacture a couple of years ago, and these I believe, can be bought through all the major suppliers now....including autoglass. You can even have one with, or without the radio antenna filament inside the glass. Being an '81 you're looking at, there is a good chance that the original screen in that car, the same as LEX (my car), is with the radio antenna filament...meaning no aerial required for the radio inside to catch a signal. 8)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Thanks for the responses guys - much appreciated Smile

It's good to know that the windscreen isn't an issue after all. The compressor is Kaput I would say - judging by the guys comments on it, and the fact it hasn't been working for the last 5 years.

I'll update everyone if I succeed with the eBay bid - I have a limit, so I won't be too suprised if the price sales past that.

But thanks for making me feel welcome.

Cheers

Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Steve,

Good luck with the purchase, a few of us here have imported over the years so feel free to ask any questions. One thing I would say is know your costs ahead of time, this will be mostly made up by:

-Purchase price of the car £11.5k
-Haulage to the port £250
-Shipping to UK £1500 ish
-Import Tax is waived providing you have a nice letter from the DOC stating that the car was manufactured in the UK
-VAT at 5% (assuming it is imported as a historic vehicle, speak to your shipping agent on that) payable on the cost of the car plus the shipping £600-£700

So you are looking at the best part of £14k just to get it to the UK, without factoring in transport costs from the UK port., or making ready for UK MOT/registering with DVLA.

A replacement windscreen and seat covers alone will be up at the £1000 mark.

On a side note, if there was a car available in the UK in the 16-17k range, would you class that as 'sensible money'?
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Hi Steve,
As with the AC bits, any trim items like new leather seat covers are
going to be a USA sourced part (unless your very lucky to come across some that someone has stashed away). Get these items stuck in the car before you ship it.

Regards

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Nick, unless the rules have changed since I shipped my car, there are very strict rules on the items they will allow in the car when it is shipped over.

-no more than a 1/4 tank of fuel
-original owners manuals
-spare tyre
-car jack/tools

I suppose there are ways around it, some have mentioned stocking the trunk with parts and temporarily "breaking" the trunk release.
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
personally, for the work that needs doing to the car, I'd say that $18k is a bit on the steep side.

The interior bits that you mention are the most expensive bits to sort, as generally the parts are
only available from the USA - although there are people in the DOC-UK like Dave Howarth who do
have quite a bit of NOS parts available, but its luck of the draw as to whether he's got to hand
what you need.

I think you'd be better off finding a car with a good interior and possibly engine issues, as the mechanicals
are much easier to sort over here then the interior - I bought a car that was mechanically and cosmetically
trashed, and 10yrs on........ Wink

Uroglass are the windscreen suppliers in the UK and they deal with Autoglass, et al, and they can supply
as Rissy said a screen either with or without antenna depending on your vin number. We have Club
member Phil Peters to thank for sorting windscreens out, as he dealt with Uroglass originally.

I had my original screen replaced under the insurance as it was cracked, and it only cost me my excess of
£70.00 - a couple of years ago, I needed another screen, and again it was an insurance job, and it only
took a week to come through - even with Autoglass breaking one of them and having to get a replacement.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and good luck tracking a suitable car down that is within your budget. As a
general rule of thumb, you need to add roughly 30% to the cost of the car to work out what it will cost you
'to your door'. My car came from San Diego as a non runner, and the cost of transporting it from San Diego
to the port in Los Angeles, then the car sharing a 46ft container from LA to Thamesport (via the Panama Canal)
was £909 - that was back in 2002 though. I then had various duties, devanning charges and taxes to pay,
so a car that cost me £2865 to buy, was £4100 by the time it was on my driveway. If you are shipping a car
from the East Coast, it is of course much cheaper. Phill's car came in from Long Island (bought from a dealer
in New York), and I think he only paid about £500 shipping.

Also check out vendors like PJ Grady in New York, as they may have cheaper cars that need work that they
could sell on to you at a competitive price.

Good luck, and if you need any advice or info, or want to have a look at some De's to decide whether you
want auto/manual, grey/black interior, grooved bonnet/gas flap bonnet/flat bonnet, then just shout! Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi everyone

I have been quoted an all inclusive service by a shipper (including MOT, car tax, oh everything really) and that is about 30% of the cost of the vehicle. So at least I know I'm not being ripped off there.

Yes I agree, it did seem to me a tad expensive at $18K (although in fairness he has spent some money on it - although it is a little tatty inside). But there doesn't seem to be many around at the moe? No one's bid so far and there's only a day left - so a cheeky (yet more realistic) offer may be on the cards.

I kind of want the fun (or sheer hell - not sure which yet?) of restoring one back to former glory. Interior bits and bumpers don't scare me, where as engines and chassis corrosion make me shudder a little. And I've also factored in that trim and stuff can be bought as and when really. Done at my pace if you like.

Hey, even if I do miss this one, then I'm not put off at all.
Thanks for all your advice guys.
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Hi Mike,
Lets just say I have been to pick up a car at the docks (no names to protect the innocent :wink: ) with a mate. Quiet a lot of spares were chucked inside. Mind you it was quiet trashed so maybe the powers that be could not see the wood from the trees so to speak.

Steve,
It might be worth hopping a flight to check out the car and ether fit the new bits before you ship it or bring the parts back yourself.
If you shop around and travel at non peak times you can get some great flight
deals.
I brought a new AC compressor and all the hoses and dryer back on my last trip 8) .

Regards
Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
This may be a better buy??
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120909485698? ... 1423.l2649

Similar money will be cheaper to ship as well as it's on the right side of the country.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
For the asking price, that seems quite reasonable - looks like a fair bit of TLC required in places though.
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Looking at it more closely, it's missing the door markers, and what's up with that binnacle?
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Quote:and what's up with that binnacle?
I think both the dash and binacle have been recovered, as we all know not an uncommon issue and some done better than others!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584