Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
replacement belts pls help and wipes stopped
Brian... Already replied on the Wipers....

The belts are easy to change... If I can do them, anyone can. You will need to remove the aircon belt to replace the alternator belt. Simple wind down long bolt tensioner and loosen the aircon pump bolts... no need to remove. Take that belt off.... Then loosen the alternator tensioner bolt... possibly the main bolts if they are siezed preventing any "return" on the swivel. Then slip the new belt on and tension up with an assistant and a stretegically places long bar.. Nip up the bolts... Then the same with the aircon belt. The belt sizes are in the parts cross reference... These are MOTOQUIP part numbers...

ACBelt VFB618 12mm belt

Alt belt - VFB244 10mm belt

The reason you had steam was because the water pump is also driven off this belt so any damage will be determined on how far you drove with it snapped to be honest.

I had a dodgy otterstat 5 years back.... Steaqm poured out of mine back then but its still alive with no fat in the water, or water in the fat!

Good luck!
Belts should not be to expensive to replace, MartinG has posted on the forum where to get them from. Should be an easy job for a garage unless any bearings have failed. Wipers (fingers crossed) should be just a fuse.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Brian. I am running 12mm for the aircon and 10mm for the alternator/water pump. The reason for this is my pulleys are different depths. In my opinion a 10mm would be too loose and not fit in the aircon pulley snug... where as a12mm on the alternator would be too fat and end up chamfering the belt egdes hence needing future and rwgular adjustment as it beds down in... just my opinion but others may disagree! ;-)
And your cooling fans were coming on because your otterstat switch is to the left of the engine bay... but take my word for it the water was not being pumped to the radiator while the belt was missing... it was quite normal for the fans to come on but in reality they wasnt cooling anything bar the water in the radiator which was probably cold anyway!

If you have any missfires, oil in the water or vice versa get it checked before you drive it Brian. Further use could blow the head gasket/s, warp head/s and do a whole host of damage. 3 things you should always keep in a DeLorean.... Alternator belt, Throttle cable, and a bag of cable ties/duct tape.

Dont let this worry you... its a very robust engine which will survive most of what you throw at it!

Good luck!
It is indeed a nice replica.

Good luck with the repair.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Sorry buddy... i looked at the avatar... assumed it was brian .. good luck with the repair ;-)
...I'm wondering/hoping that with this set of unfortunate incidents, and with the necessary repairs, that you truly realise that, your car is first off, still a 31yr old classic car, and a movie replica show piece, secondly.

The car has to be looked after and maintained and monitored, just as the rest of ours do too. Otherwise, as you are maybe now aware, there will be no showing off of the movie replica.

Your car probably requires even more close attention than an unmodified one, simply due to it having non standard fittings all over it, and vital pieces of important functioning parts of the car, covered over away from sight and less accessible.

I'm for one, all for the car as it is, and bringing joy and happinss to people, but all the more for the old car being looked after as a car, and treated with the respect it deserves.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
IF it had been serviced properly then I would probably just change the oil every year, Just because it does not get driven much the engine will still get condensation inside it (probably more so if your not using it for long drives) so it would pay to do this every year. assuming everything else was done I would be tempted to leave it alone. Really need to keep an eye on those belts though especially if one is rubbing against the other. Perhaps you can post some pics and I'm sure someone will point out whats wrong as it should not be doing this.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584