Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passenger side Torsion Bars For Sale
I have a friend, who wishes to remain anonymous.

He has 33 Passenger side Torsion bars in his possession.

Each one is "new" (30 years old but unused), and has been stored in the loft of the same house since the closure of the company in 1983.

The wife of a husband who used to work for DMC, recently died leaving the contents of the house to relatives.

The house has since been emptied and sold. (this is the time the bars were found and identified)

This is the only DMC related articles the husband had after working for the company.

(I don't know any more details than this i'm afraid)

My friend now has ownership of the bars and is wishing to sell them on to people who might be able to make use of them. He knows I am part of this club, and has given me a chance to see if anyone may be interested rather than put them on the likes of ebay.

I have bought 2 of them myself, plus the only Driver's side one that was also in the collection, as personal backups in case I ever need them. I can vouch for their quality. They are immaculate.

So, if anyone is interested at any time, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Once again, I stress that there are ONLY passenger side bars available.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
OMG, what a find!! Typically, its the LH ones that tend to go - but I'm thinking that RH ones
would be good for those members with RHD cars Wink
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Not sure what they would fetch on Ebay, need to see what the new cost is from DMCH Etc as a guide. It's worth bearing in mind that the failure rate of the P/X side is not that high so I would not expect them to sell that quickly. Perhaps it might be worth contacting Dave Howarth and/or Ed Uding to see if they wish to buy a job lot???

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
With that many, you could start a DOC Fencing Club Smile
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Chris Williams Wrote:Not sure what they would fetch on Ebay, need to see what the new cost is from DMCH Etc as a guide. It's worth bearing in mind that the failure rate of the P/X side is not that high so I would not expect them to sell that quickly. Perhaps it might be worth contacting Dave Howarth and/or Ed Uding to see if they wish to buy a job lot???

Chris

My friend is not in a rush to sell them, and seems to be happy to let them go at whatever rate of sales they go at.

Needless to say, the bars being in the UK, and with me being in the club, anyone wishing to buy, will get a good price when compared to the prices in Holland and the USA. :wink:
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Dangermouse Wrote:With that many, you could start a DOC Fencing Club Smile

I thought about a torsion bar tree art sculpture actually. :wink: might be worth a fortune in that form, what with the prices some of these art dealers pay! Shock
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
I'm just giving this topic a nudge now that we are into car show season. I'm going round to my friends this weekend to pick up a sample of bars for bringing with me to the events i'm going to, so if anyone is interested, you can see what they are like first hand.

I've had some interest from people, privately, for these, but there seems to be some quibble over the previous asking price of £320.

I know some people have access to friends in the US etc, which means they can get access to bars at a cheaper price, but that luxury is not blessed upon us all.

The original asking price, although thought to be fair, has been met with some skepticism, although this has obviously come from those of you with friends in the US. Never the less, in order to be competitive, and with light of the change in exchange rates etc, the previous asking price has been dropped. The asking price is now £299 per bar.

Right now from the US, the price comes in at £260 + (substantial) Shipping charges.
From Holland, the price comes in at £365 (I don't know if there is any additional shipping charges with that or not?)

...So, I think you'll agree, this is quite a competitive price. I can't see this price coming any further down. For most people, this will definitely be the least hassle, and cheapest price available for getting your hands on a spare/spares for your car.

Remember, these are NOS un-used (untested too), but well kept, perfect looking condition bars of the original design and manufacture dates. They are not newly manufactured.
They are expected to be of the exact same quality as that which you would buy from the US or Holland.

Once again, only passenger (RHS) bars are available.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Hi

If you can get a picture (though we all know what they look like!) it would be worth putting this in the club magazine as well (using your contact details if you wish) or on the club shop page. The magazine has a much larger coverage than any forum (only about 30-40% club members use or look at the forum) so it would advertise them a bit more that way and members do tend to hold on to the mags for reference for when parts/info are required.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:Hi

If you can get a picture (though we all know what they look like!) it would be worth putting this in the club magazine as well (using your contact details if you wish) or on the club shop page. The magazine has a much larger coverage than any forum (only about 30-40% club members use or look at the forum) so it would advertise them a bit more that way and members do tend to hold on to the mags for reference for when parts/info are required.

Chris

I think this is what i'll do. I'll take a picture this weekend, and post it up here. Then i guess, the picture can be extracted for the magazine, and my contact details can then be added to the magazine advert or whatever....?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
If I was you, I'd email the details and the photo to Eddie (editor@deloreans.co.uk) so that
he can work with the text and artwork. Also, the pic res might be better if it was sent directly
rather then copied from here.

I'll also get this link up on the Club's Facebook page too Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Piccies:

[Image: P1010573.jpg]

[Image: P1010571.jpg]

[Image: P1010572.jpg]

I'll have these with me in the car all summer.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
The trouble with shifting torsion bars is the relatively rare failure rate meaning I doubt too many people would want to invest in a spare. It comes under the heading of "people will only want one when they need one". Speaking as someone who recently had to find a driver side bar.... my advice to everyone is to ensure the steel roof section is stuck down properly because the bar will break if it isn't!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk