Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 meets?
Hey all.

Right now, since i'll be spending the first summer for years, in the UK, I'm of the mindset thinking that perhaps after my friends wedding on 2nd last weekend in May, I might return down to Rugby in Lex, so that I can use her as my every day car, and get some summer use out of her for a couple of months, especially at the weekends.
This of course means I'll need to do some prep work in March while i'm in Edinburgh, to make sure she's up for the task, as once I get her down here, my options on fixing and maintenance are sorely reduced when compared to my provisions at the parents in Scotland. Anyway, to help me decide if this is something I might want to do, can I ask what sort of meets etc I might be able to attend during the summer months, to help make it worth while.

The only thing which is putting me off the idea a little, is the fact I don't have a garage in Rugby, only a driveway, which everyone can see into, and since i'll be working Mon-Fri during the days, that means leaving Lex open to prying or whatever during these times. This is of course, not even to mention the fact that although it will be "summer", it's still bound to be rainy and rubbish. (I hope not, crossing my fingers)
If I do this, it will be a big move for me, as i've never had her here for longer than 3 days before, supervised all the time (except at night sleeping, but still with the bedroom facing out over the back)

...I might be criticised for being overly protective, but you just never know with some people, and I don't live in a really bad area, but its far from the best too. I'm sure people, especially neighbours on accompanying streets to mine will not take too long to clock the car going in and out...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
well the Midlands is quite an active region - it certainly is up here round Notts/Derby's anyway.

Can you protect your drive with somesort of gates or CCTV? Can you put Lex under a car-cover to protect her?
Is a Car-Port an option? Does a neighbour of yours have a garage they dont use and could rent out to you?

There's always plenty on up here, I've posted a meet in Staffs in May, then in June we have Long Eaton Carnival,
June also sees the Evesham Festival in Worcestershire (free onsite camping), then you've got other big events like
Cromford Steam Rally in August, Lullington (near Burton on Trent) in July, etc.

For an event like Cromford, which is a weekend jobbie, you would be more then welcome to stop at ours and put Lex
on our secure drive (with Flopsy and Sorbet).
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I have a gate for my driveway, but it's only as secure as the weakest link, which is unfortunately, the neighbours back garden accessibility. Meaning it wouldn't be difficult to get access to mine. I fact, i'm already thinking i've had people accessing mine in the past, to steal my bins etc, and then i've had issues reclaiming them etc!

I'll bring my car cover down, but as for everything else you mentioned, I don't have.

Anyway, not to bore people.... lol!

If i bring her down at the tail end of May, then for a couple of months, or possibly until the weather shows signs of getting bad again, then I could appear at some stuff with LEX, although, there is a good chance I'd get grief if i disappeared off at the weekends without the new g/f in tow. We have a weekend planned for some weekend in June. Going to stay in a hotel in Salisbury, so we can go see Stonehenge, and if i've got LEX down, then that will be our transportation down there. So already got a mini adventure planned! lol!

I'm also thinking at some point, since i don't think Rich H stays too far away from me, I might either get him round, or visit him, to give me a hand with a couple of bits and bobs. Tech weekend style. 8) (He doesn't know this yet! lol!) SO....maybe we could build on something like that!?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
The Midlands Posse are always up for a techie weekend, you sort out beers/bacon butties/tea urns/barbeque/sleeping accomodation, and
a load of us will turn up mobhanded, with DeLoreans, and invade your home for the weekend.

Its what we do 8)
Ha-Ha!! Simple payments for jobs in hand. I like it.

You're saying that, but the point in me asking who was going where, and when potentially to be able to meet, for a tech time, or not, was down to the limited resources I have in Rugby, and interest in getting the cars legs stretched out a bit. I don't have that much space in Rugby either. I think we would definitely pull in a crowd were there were a good handful of D's parked out the back of my house! lol! Whether it would be good attention, would remain to be seen! Anyway, not having much in the way of tech stuff tools etc in Rugby, if someone else had a better provisioned place than mine, then i'd be only too happy to supply the bacon sarnie supplies! :wink:

I've no problem with getting people round to mine if they wish (might be interesting actually) but there would be a limit on what sort of tech could be accomplished.

I have in mind simple bits, like my clock needs looking at, which Rich H knows about from the NEC in November, but apart from that, i'm just plodding away doing bits at a time, as time and circumstances allows. (Right now, i'm in the process of replacing water hoses, section by section, with nice new silicone replacements - but have been doing that in Edinburgh, since I can jack the car up there etc. Something i can't do in Rugby)

...I'm actually more interested in just getting LEX out in amongst your guys for mini meets etc since i've only ever done Wales 2 years ago, and Belfast last year.

I'm planning on trying to finish my hose job, and stuff BEFORE i bring the car down to Rugby for a stay, cause if anything goes wrong, that will definitely be the time i'm asking for help for someone to come round and rescue me, since i'll probably not be able to fix an issue myself without my mates around, and an extensive array of tools at hand either. But we'll see. Maybe nothing will go wrong!? Hopefully. Big Grin

Roll on getting my chassis off job arranged, as once that's done, and the car is put back together, with many renewed parts etc, i'll be a lot more confident i think.

I know i have earthing issues, which, only one time, has actually prevented the spark plugs from firing, meaning i couldn't get the engine started! BUT, since i knew where i'd just been footering, i just went back in there, waggled a few wires (literally!) and hey-presto, sparko! :o
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Hey, so i've been looking at the events this year, and i've compiled a short list of the ones I think i'll be going to. Just if anyone is interested, and can maybe tell me when I'm not going to be the only D' to be seen on them too..

Sat 9 June: Halls Green, Weston, Herts - 82 miles from myself.
Not completely sure about this one yet. But might consider going. This would be about 3 weeks after I've brought LEX down to Rugby. I'd be more keen to go to this one if there were others from the club going.

Sun 17 June: Warwick Castle - 22 miles from myself.
This is pretty much a definite now. I also have a friend with a TVR Cerbera, which I might try to convince to bring along at the same time, in convoy with myself in LEX.

Sat + Sun 23 + 24 June: Bath - 127 miles from myself.
This is a really push the boat out affair for me. The g/f and I are thinking of going to this one, but stay at her summer place in Weston Super Mare at night, meaning a drive down to the event, and then carry on to Weston at night, and then return trip the next morning, if worth it, to then leave from there direct on the return trip back. A LOT of mileage though! Not sure. We ARE thinking of going to Weston Super Mare, maybe in LEX, in July anyway, so might skip this, and concentrate more on the same journey, the next month in a more relaxed fashion, rather than for the car show...

Sun 15 July: Butterly - 56 miles from myself.
This, i'm definitely wanting to go to, and will probably be coming with my friend BIG PHIL.

Sun 12 August: Newbury - 81 miles from myself.
I don't know much about this event, and would be more keen to go to it, if there were others from he club going...

Sat 15 September: East Kirky - 93 miles from myself.
I REALLY want to go to this one, and will probably try my best to go, but its the day after my g/f's birthday celebrations, so i'd need to commit myself either way I think, in order to be focused on what my intentions are. This would probably be the last event I go to, if indeed I make it at all.

I haven't applied to any of the above events yet. No forms requested or anything yet....

If anyone can give me some idea of mutual attendance, then that would be good, and if there was any chance of any mini convoys going.....that would also be good.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
I'll deffinatly be at Butterley that weekend, so I'll say hello!
Paul Bardill

1995 Peugeot 106 - N982 ATV
Get urself over to east kirkby rissy.....i should be going with my kids so i'll come say hello... Smile
Rissy, we're doing Butterley and East Kirkby.

If you fancy a run 'oop norf' we do Tatton Park (Cheshire) each August, just
waiting for details on this years show from Scott Miller or John Chapelhow.

There's Long Eaton Community Carnival - we join in the road parade of Classic
Cars behind the floats before all finishing up at the showground for the afternoon. Thats
on Saturday 16 June (day before Donington/Warwick Castle).

I'll let Warwick Castle know to expect you at their meet, I'll try and remember to get in touch
with James Baker and see if he's going too (he lives near Evesham).

Evesham Festival is another nice meet and very chilled out, Ben is going and possibly RichH too.

I'll post more events as and when I hear about them Smile
...cool, cheers. For the Warwick castle one, I'm still to hear back from my friend about whether he is going or not. I'm not sure if he will need an application form or not...?

....Out of curiosity, is there no club meet this year?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
There's no 'big meet' this year, just lots of regional ones - unless of course you fancy organising something? Wink