Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheeler Dealers DeLorean this week
A quick reminder, the new series of wheeler dealers enters its second week, and the DeLorean is episode two.

Lots of repeats, but the first chance to view will be Tuesday 9pm on the Discovery channel.

The presenters are usually very fair in their assessments of the cars, and pick cars they themselves like, so I'm hoping for a good show.

JohnC
the Dodge Charger was nice last week, be interesting to see what they spent on the
De, as a comparison to what nice cars in the UK sell for these days.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Well having watched the mechanic for some time during the 'sale' filming I can tell you that after they saw some 'other' D's the repair bill went up considerably. I suspect none of these additions will be part of the program. One way to tell is they bought a new binnacle circuit board from Ed to replace the original which failed during filming!

Look out for 17152 with her 3 leg stickers in the rear quarter windows behind the negotiations Big Grin

Can't wait for Tuesday! Big Grin
VIN 17152 - The Manx 'D'
blimey, I bet that wasnt cheap!

Thing is, they say they make 'profit' on the cars, but they dont factor in Edd's time
in fixing up the cars - if you had to pay garage rates of, say, £75 an hour, they'd lose
money on every car.

I'd heard it sold for £20,450, but that was on the proviso that it went to Chris N to have
several grands worth of extra work done in the price.

When you consider what a nice car like Robin Simpson's has just sold for..........

I'll be interested to see the programme on Tuesday, and see how Edd tackles the various
'foibles' on the DeLorean that us seasoned owners all know and love 8)
I know they replaced the seat covers, refurbished the wheels and replaced the windscreen, and a few minor electrical bits. I dont think they did a huge amount of work on it.
There was quite a bit of extra work which was going to be done at PJ gradys after the filming which was included in the sale price, such as a dent repair, rebrush and new door seals, I think more too which wont be shown on the show.

They got a very good price for it I think.

Looking forward to seeing the program anyway, should be good!
It was brilliant seeing the sale part being filmed. Mike, Edd and Paul are all a good laugh and nice guys to meet, and I think they genuinely like the car.
Apparently the reason they don't factor in the cost of a garage or Edd is because Edd is supposed to be you and me doing the work ourselves,
however it will be interesting to see if they fit UK spec headlights and a fog light as thats something they didn't appear to do on the charger..!!
Yep got the Sky box set Smile .

I hope Ed has to do some fuel tank diving! If not the ownership experience is not complete! :lol:

As they shipped the Charger out of Houston. I thought they might visit DMC
Houston when it came to doing the D'?
Makes sense to fill the boot and car with spares before shipping it.

Nick
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Ah the previous owner did the fuel system Smile
Edd got to enjoy taking the doors apart to do the electric windows!

Looks like they both like the cars though, which is great.

Nick
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
lol, I've drawn many a pint of claret on the insides of Flopsy's doors!

It was a very positive piece about the car for a change, which was really
good.

Did anyone notice the state of the expansion tank bottle when Mike looked
over the car? I know of bottles in that condition that have let go, as the plastic
gets all soft and eventually gives out.

Funny how nothing was said on camera about the extra work.... seemed a bit 'stage
managed' at the end. Nice to see Chris N working his magic on the stainless at Edd's
workshop, and to see DOC members like Phil Emsley and Chris Hawes on camera too Smile

All in all though, a really good show - I'm not sure I like the 'stitched' DMCH Binnacles,
but my non-stitched one has cracked again after repair, so maybe it does work out
cheaper in the long run to 'replace rather then repair' on that item. Mind you, that
oil seal looked a git of a job, I'm glad my oil leaks were easy(er) fixes then that!

Looking forward to next week's show already (does anyone know which week they're
doing the '57 Chevvy? thats one of my all time favourite cars)
Great show...but again nothing about headlights or fog lights....next week i believe its the 57 chevy pick-up and the chevy bel-air is on the 1 nov..... http://www.wheelerdealer.com scroll toward the bottom of the page to upcoming events.....
I was a bit dissapointed with the show - too much talking guff and adverts with not enough car time. It could really be a two parter.
Vin #4087
This weeks Delorean episode had a good positive attitude about the car, no nit-picking about the politics and money wasted issues and not too many B.T.T.F references, and I dont think the cars dodgy electrics or being underpowered were mentioned! I did spot the expansion tank that looked ready to pop, and Mike didnt say if the aircon was working when driving in the California heat, but looking underneath the car, the previous owner looked to have replaced the cooling pipes rubber hoses and kept the car in reasonable nick (that fuel tank plate underneath looked really clean and undamaged!)
All in all it was a good programme, although issues such as changing lights, registering for UK plates, taxing and moting appear to have been overlooked, but didnt they make their largest profit to date? Cant believe they got seat covers, instrument binnacle, carpet,gear lever gaiter and a rear light unit for around £750!
Mike and Ed done themselves proud and gave the Delorean a lot of respect back!
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
I was very impressed with the show. The time spent on chatting with Mike on the club stand talking about using a DeLorean in the show paid off. Mike seemed genuinely interested and keen on the car at that time, and I'm pleased that showed in the episode.

ChrisN got the camera time and appreciation he deserved (you wont see many other experts in the show).

I do tend to agree, that they may have got a shock seeing how good the cars were down at EuroTec, but fair play to them for then spending more cash off camera to further improve the car they sold.

JohnC
I agree, they could have cut the waffle and shown alot more mechanical stuff,
Phill said he was sure the car was sitting lower ex workshop then it was in the US,
so did they change the springs and just not cover it?

And as has been said, no mention on the show of meeting UK regs with headlights
or fog lamps, and also no mention of the Air Con - surely Mike knew the car came
with Air Con?

I just think it would have been good for them to say that the sale price included
extra work, so that 'Joe Public' doesnt think they've made a huge profit from the
car and just walked away from it.

All in all though, we enjoyed the programme, and it was nice to see a motoring
show's presenters enthuse about the car rather then slag it off.
Bj, £750 in the US for those bits. Not by the time they land here in the UK with
shipping, customs and 20% VAT.
That's why it pays to fill the car with stuff before you ship it back to the UK.

Nick
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...