Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nervously contemplating taking the plunge...
I brought my car over at the beginning of the year, so the following costs should still apply.

VAT at the current rate is charged on the cost of the car plus the shipping.

Import Duty is waived provided you get a letter from DOC UK to tell the nice people at HMRC that the car is UK built and we should be proud to have it be reimported into the country.

I had a shipping agent take care of clearing the car through customs / dealing with HMRC, I think it cost my the tidy sum of £250, which in my opinion was money well spent.

So take the following example costs:

Car - £10,000 (ball park $16,000)
Haulage to US port if required - price will be dependant on distance (mine was $400)
Shipping - £1200
Total VAT (assuming VAT at 20%) to pay £2240
Import duty - nil (assuming you got a letter from the DOC)
So you are looking at an example total of £13440 just to get the car into the UK.

Haulage from the port to your chosen destination - mine went straight to down to Chris N from Southampton Docks, figure on around the £300 mark in transportation costs (myself and others have used Chris Huxtables).

Then you have UK MOT requirements - new headlights and rear fog light, figure on £170 for those, new tyres all round are most likely definitely required and the price will depend on the brand you go for, I think most try to track down a set of Pirelli P600's for the rear and match them to a set of P6000's on the front (however the P600's are like rocking horse poo to find), plus any other items that maybe required, definitely have the fuel system, brakes and hoses inspected/replaced as appropriate (budget accordingly, check Ed's site for prices)

DVLA registration - £60 fee plus 6 or 12 months road tax (12 months was £205 when I registered my car).

Point is, map out all your potential costs ahead of purchase, and budget for everything accordingly, set aside a budget for things you didn't expect to have done.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
well written Mike, and good to see an upto date list of costs to bring a car to the UK.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Yeah, cheers Mike. Good food for thought
Cheers,
Steve Tucker

VIN 5706, October 81, grey interior, auto, "AXI 81"
DOC 685