Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN #5641 gets new leather
Morning all,

Well I finally got "Maddie" back from the trimmers on monday so I thought I'd post up some pics of the work I've had done.

Bascially he interior was looking a bit tired. My main motivation for getting it done was that the rear quarter panels on both sides had as somepoint had the vinyl cut along the edges and the remaining vinyl had gone very brittle and cracked. This meant that the inner door seals could no longer grip onto them so they kinda hung down. It really bugged me, especially as the rest of the car looked and sounded so great.

Anyways, after getting a few quotes and talking through the job with some local trimmers I decided to go for it. Now the one problem was that none of my local (and very well respected I hasten to add) trimmers said they could do the rear panels without putting stitching around all the curves. They said that as the vinyl was moulded to fit the panel it was possible at manufacture, but doing it all in leather would have to mean stitching.

I really didn't want that. Anyways, after having a chat with Mart one day he told me they had tracked down a rather interesting guy with a lot of Delorean history in Norwich.

So I gave him a call. Nick Fulcher his name was. Well after the first 5mins of conversation it turned out that "he's the man for the job". He was the guy that trimmed the prototype Delorean that went to the Detroit Motor Show. He also designed the seats and a lot of the interior. He was also the guy that trimmed the original Delorean that they then took the moulds off of the create the Vinyl pieces. He also trained up the Irish workforce (which them became CP trim)

I'll leave the rest for an article in the club mag. But here are the before and after pics. I didn't get everything done, just full leather seats, leather quarter panels, gear box tunnel, custom gear stick boot and new carpet in the front luggage boot (no pics of that yet) oh plus new seals from Ed Udling and re-done headliners.

[Image: DSC00624.jpg]
Driving into the workshop for the first time

[Image: IMG_0193.jpg]
Before interior

[Image: IMG_0196.jpg]
Before Headliners

[Image: IMG_0311.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0313.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0316.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0321.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0338.jpg]
Date stamp on head rest

[Image: IMG_0358.jpg]
Seats ready to go in

[Image: IMG_0368.jpg]
Door headliner scribbles on driver side

[Image: IMG_0369.jpg]
Door headliner scribbles on passenger side

[Image: IMG_0381.jpg]
New headliners

[Image: IMG_0413.jpg]
New seats installed

[Image: IMG_0427.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0417.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0418.jpg]
New black and grey gear stick boot

I think it looks amazing, even better in the flesh. The roushing on the gearbox tunnel isn't as extreme as it looks in the photos. I think the flash of the camera picks it out more. Also the colour match from the new leather to the old vinyl isn't too bad either. We did use the original "Bridge of Wier" leather as used by the factory in 1981 and with the original colour code. Nick had a vinyl paint mixed up to colour match the centre elbow rest to the new leather and he said that if I came up in the summer he could re-do the dash and binnacle to get it all back to brand new. I might take him up on that in 6 month.

Nick also showed me a few bits of interesting paper work which I took pics of.

Here are two of them. The first are some inter office memos regarding the design of the seat. It talks about DMC 7 being on testing in Scotland and the fact that the original seat does not provide enough lateral support and so needs a redesign. The next page then shows DMC 7's original seat and the redesign. Look familiar? Smile

[Image: DSC00601trim.jpg]

[Image: DSC00602.jpg]
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

[Image: signature.jpg]

Emagine Productions

W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk
Blood hell Stu Maddie looks absolutely stunning!! Clean lines everywhere, just so fresh and crisp! Well worth the cash (however much it was) you spent! ...majourly jelous now!! :lol:
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
that does look the bomb
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Stu joins a very exclusive club now - people with seats re-skinned by the "original hands" Smile Mine, and (then) Paul Salsbury's were done by the guys from CP Trim in Belfast.

Stu, ain't it great dropping yer bum into your seat and hearing the seat sigh? Smile

I spoke to Nick before Stu and got some stories too. Put simply: If there's anything "wrong" with the work on Stu's car, then it's not that his is wrong, it's that the production version didn't represent Nick's original design!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
As usual top work Stu!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
hi

looks fantastic, did this chap also do your headliners?

Steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Yeah he did steve.
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions

Looks very nice, you'll need a VIP pass to sit in the car then !

How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

NickT.
I won't say here Nick, but enough Smile

But its still worth it. Went to a little monthly car meeting in Hertford Heath on sunday and out shone a Ferrari F430 and a Lambo Gallardo..... hehehe!

I can't help it if people flock to a Delorean..... I'm sure we've all been there lol!
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions