Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gerry Andersons gull wing door car
Dont know if this has been looked at before, but in the t.v. series UFO from 1970, a couple of cars (modified Ford Zephrs) were used as the lead characters cars-'Ed Straker' used the brown coloured one, 'Michael Foster' had the white one. Whats interesting for Delorean owners is the gullwing doors which were way ahead of their time-even if they didnt lift up on their own, and the louvered rear deck, I wonder if JZD ever watched this tv series and got some ideas, after all it was another 10 years before they prototyped the DMC! 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Phill knows alot about these cars, I think he nearly bought the brown one once too.....

I'll go and ask him Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I was always impressed by Gerry Andersons work and wonder if as a kid watching UFO (especially the cars) I was longing for a gullwing door car of my own in the future....... 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
dang!!!!!!! you could be onto something there!! lol

Phill has got a HUGE Gerry Anderson collection, including an original Zelda puppet head from Terrahawks.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I'm working at Pinewood at the minute and have met Gerry a couple of times. He's really showing his age but is a total gent, very lovely man. Trying to get a new film off the ground if anyone is looking to invest Wink

As for the connection with the UFO car and the DeLorean.... I'd say there wasn't one. Depending on who you listen to, the gullwings were either a safety thing for when the car was still called the DSV (gullwings allowed high sills for impact protection), or that John's inspiration for the doors came from the 300SL. John loved the car, and if memory serves he even borrowed one at some point during the inception of the company from someone, and it was never seen again...