Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What questions do I ask a Delorean seller?
Hey again all. Okay, I've been doing some digging and I do now think it's gonna be better to shop from the states. There's a much wider selection and they seem to be in better quality. I can't really afford to go over there to view any car before I buy, so it's really gonna be a case of asking as many questions as possible, and asking for as many photos as necessary to decide whether the car I choose is the right one before I sign on the dotted line!

I'm a little out of my depth here on a techical level, so I'd like your opinion - what should I be asking potential sellers? I know I need to ask for photos of the chassis from different angles to check for rust and the condition, and also photos of the engine, but what else? I'd like to get together a list of questions and, if it's okay, post the answers here for you smart fellas to look at!

Cheers again, much appreciated,
Steve
Cheers,
Steve Tucker

VIN 5706, October 81, grey interior, auto, "AXI 81"
DOC 685
Best best is to register with DMCtalk the main US forum, you will possibly find that someone may know the car or would happily go and have a look at it for you. That way you should get a unbiased opinion
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I would enquire as to what maintenance has been carried out, including any of
the original recalls and upgrades that would have been done in the car's early
years in the USA.

Try to buy from 'dry' states, some of the northern states use very corrosive
road salts - I've seen an Illinois registered car at DMCH (pics on my Facebook account)
and the chassis was like rusty tissue paper.

When the car arrives in the UK, you need to factor in things like fog light and headlight
updates, and other desirable upgrades including tyres and UK ride height front springs.

If your not handy with the spanners, then there are plenty of club members who I'm sure
will be able to come and give you a hand in trade for bacon butties and mugs of tea Smile

Many cars from hotter states tend to suffer with cracked binnacle's and dashboards, but
this can be sorted over here and isnt a major issue.

If a car needs parts, I would recommend having them shipped over with the car in the
front luggage compartment - I have heard of stuff being left in the car's passenger compartment
before now and mysteriously going walkies between being loaded in the USA and unloaded
in the UK...... in fact, anything to do with the car I would ask the seller to put in the 'trunk'.

Hope this helps, any more questions, feel free to ask away! Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks so much for the detailed reply, Claire. That's all really useful and I'll take it all into account as I'm shopping Smile Cheers!
Cheers,
Steve Tucker

VIN 5706, October 81, grey interior, auto, "AXI 81"
DOC 685
no probs Steve, I'm just thinking of stuff off the top of my head, I'm sure others will
chime in with their comments and suggestions too Smile

Good luck in your search, hope you find a suitable car soon! Big Grin
Claire's right, hot states = tired interiors, cold states = rusty chassis. Suppose you takes your choice!

By good fortune, the handle had come off the end of the pull cable that operated the trunk lid on my car - so the bits inside (which included a new binnacle) were undisturbed. Inside the car, however, looked like it had been stirred with a big spoon, carpets and trim everywhere.

For shipping, if you get some conversation going with your vendor, I'd be tempted to ask him to disconnect the connections to the courtesy lights. Whoever had turned my car over had left the glove box open with the little light on, with a resultant flat battery and an extra towing charge as a result. Grrr.

The weak spot on the chassis seems to be emerging as the engine cradle and teh undertray, that's where I'd ask for some close-ups - I know of a couple of cars where that's on the way out and I had to make some significant chassis repairs there myself recently too.

Good Luck!

R
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
same here Rich, I'm looking at doing some serious repairs to the chassis box section under
where the starter motor is, its flakier in there then in a box of Kelloggs' finest :|