Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering column lock assy
My steering column lock is broken.

I have read that a ROVER SD1 steering column lock works on a Delorean.
Somebody knows which part number that part has?
Rimmer Bros has a part with number CRC3914.
Does this one works?
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-CRC3914
I think the lock assembly is Austin Rover (British Leyland) but I seem to remember it being Marina/Ital sourced-Ive had a few SD1s and cant recall the steering lock being the same, also the SD1 didnt have to have the steering wheel turned back to 'lock' so the ignition key could be inserted. Hope this helps 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Not sure about the steering lock but I think the door locks were Austin Montego. So your on the right track. Column stalks were based on the Mini but modified if I remember corectly.
Funny my Dad had a 1.6 HL Montego C reg back in the day. Can't remember when I last saw one on the road.

Regards
Nick
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
I seem to remember Paul Birks has to replace his ('Birksie' on here) - might be worth a PM or searching his old posts?

Rimmer Bros are def. the place to try if it does turn out to be the same as the SD1 one...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
...HAving siad that, the key blank is a Volvo, not sure if that;s just coincidence or Volvo-sourced...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I have been trying to fit BL door ones, it fits in hole ok but the plasticky connentors dont fit the door rods.

Regarding the steering collum / ignition switch, I just dont know.

Dave Howarth sorted out Paul Birks, I have just ordered the last of his current stock for vin 522.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks for the replies.
But i am still not 100% for sure if it will work, i have read the post of Birkie but that doesnt give me an answer too. Birksie doenst answer my PM.

Anyway, i found one on ebay for 20 pounds, i think i will take the risk.

I did receive various offers of people that want to sell me one for +- 200 to 300 dollars/pounds/euro.

Its a shame some people prefer to keep the secret and earn money on their fellow delorean owner.

I am already looking 1 year for this part, i feel i am getting closer to finding it!
Mostly people try and help......i'm supprised at your comments, but some people do sell DeLorean spares as a buisness.

I think the answer to your question seems to be that we dont yet know. Let us all know how you get on. Good luck.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Most parts on the Delorean appear to be sourced from regular production cars of the period with the exception of Delorean specific running gear, trailing arms etc, like the indicator/wiper switch gear are obviously British Leyland, warning lights in the doors, courtesy light switches etc. Just looked on ebay motors and someones selling a Morris Marina steering lock and key for £16+pp, I'd buy that as the steering cowl fits the B.L. indicator stalks maybe Delorean designed the steering around the off the shelf parts-just a thought, I hate paying inflated 'Delorean' prices too, especially when the same parts are availible cheaper. Make sure to use the Parts Cross Reference, you can pick up a lot of info. 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
I just bought this one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Austin-Rover-igni ... 0772868486

On the picture it looks perfectly the same as the expensive offers of some forummembers/cardealers send me.

To be followed...
well done on sourcing that, and yes please let us know if it works ok on your car.

Sometimes, I dont tell car parts shops that I'm buying for a DeLorean, as they either say they dont stock parts for them or just put the price up. I always use the parts x-ref numbers from this forum too when sourcing parts.

regards,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I hope it works because I have just bought one to!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
and another forumreader bought the third and last one!
When it comes to one-off items I have in my stash of parts, I ask for a price that makes it worthwhile selling rather than keeping it in case I need it one day. I once sold a driver side torsion bar for £300 and then needed one a year later and had to pay more like £800.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I just received the steering lock.
It fits perfectly, moreover also the canopy (plastic lower and upper cover) fits perfectly!!!

Finaly, after one year of searching.