Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The import tightrope
Hello all,

I have also posted this on the other channel, apologies for cross-posting, but I'm just trying to canvass opinion in the most effective way, and if some dont read both forums, am grateful for any advice thus received. Here goes:

I am planning an bringing in an as yet un-bought car from the states. I would of course buy a UK one, but dont currently have 20k. I will eventually, but in the interim there is normally more than one way to skin a cat.

I have now asked half a dozen to a dozen people for frame pics. Without fail I have had either no answer, promises, assurances, or encouragement to bid or call them!

I am a bit concerned that many of the EBay sellers have low or sometimes NO feedback. I mean, unless you are a scammer, how can you seriously try to sell a car on the bay, with zero feedback??! Is there something I am missing here??

I was also thinking… So I see the car I want, and promptly transfer 15k USD to some absolutely anonymous person in the states….

What to do when my car doesn’t arrive??!

(This assumes that it is an unknown, outwith the DMC community. But the principle is the same- plenty of scammers out there!)

Perhaps there is no answer to this! Admittedly I would request a fax of the title etc, but they will (quite rightly) want money before releasing their car to the road haulier. What to do if/when they “disappear”…

Any advice appreciated,

Ta,

a

ps. Have read over Chris N's "rough guide". How have you guys avoided getting stung? Or have you?
Yes, it does seem a bit of a stab in the dark and I'm sure you will get very similar info. The best and most important thing is to join DMCtalk. http://www.dmctalk.com/index.php?s=010c ... c7876b56af
There are loads of people on there that will help you out with your potential purchase, these guys keep an eye on all the skammers and will let you know if the car actually exists and most (if able) will go and check the car out for you.
Dont forget all the US vendors would also probably go and check a potential purchase for you, for a fee no doubt! but would put your mind at ease, They may also help with the transaction/shipping. Once this bit is done and your using a reliable shipper I dont think they often go missing!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584