Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bare chassis photos required
Hi All,

Im looking for some decent bare chassis photos, all angles.
As hard as i try i cant find any, anywhere!!!

Thanks in advance!

Peter
From my own car last year http://www.delorean.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1317

[Image: 1-2.jpg]
[Image: 2-1.jpg]
[Image: 3-1.jpg]
[Image: 4-1.jpg]
[Image: 10.jpg]
[Image: 11.jpg]
[Image: 12.jpg]
[Image: 13.jpg]
[Image: 9.jpg]

[Image: 64.jpg]

[Image: 65.jpg]

[Image: 66.jpg]

[Image: 67.jpg]

[Image: 68.jpg]

[Image: 70.jpg]

[Image: 69.jpg]

If you want more, I am doing this car
http://www.delorean.ie/forum/viewtopic. ... 80&start=0
Vin #4087
http://rottbott-studios.com/DeLoreanProject/
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:http://rottbott-studios.com/DeLoreanProject/

Well there goes any productivity from me this afternoon in work! (opens link...)
Vin #4087
Martin, I notice the engine in those pictures has been painted too (especially the mounts) - any earthing issues when refitted?
Vin #4087
Brilliant! Thanks guys just what i was after

HOWEVER im particularly interested in the under-side of the front section between the shock-towers, as its quite shoddy on the one im getting, need to know if its structural or just a cover plate...
dmc4087 Wrote:
stunned_monkey Wrote:http://rottbott-studios.com/DeLoreanProject/

Well there goes any productivity from me this afternoon in work! (opens link...)

That link is ancient mate - Rob hasn't even owned the car for a year, and did 20k miles before then! To answer your question about the engine mount - no, made that mistake once, was careful to sand off the paint!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Darkcat Wrote:Brilliant! Thanks guys just what i was after

HOWEVER im particularly interested in the under-side of the front section between the shock-towers, as its quite shoddy on the one im getting, need to know if its structural or just a cover plate...

That bit is where you jack the car so they're often bent around a bit and the epoxy cracks easily. No big deal for a welder to replace but you'll never get the protection back inside without dipping, which is why galvanising has become so popular.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
stunned_monkey Wrote:That link is ancient mate - Rob hasn't even owned the car for a year, and did 20k miles before then! To answer your question about the engine mount - no, made that mistake once, was careful to sand off the paint!

What happened to yours? Mine still gets low volts when running, only getting around to properly sorting it now. I have a few things to try, one of which is to replace the stainless bolts holding the earth strap to the frame, and engine strap to the frame
Vin #4087
Oh it melted the crossgate cable sheath - that's the next biggest ground path after the engine ground strap!

Take a multimeter set to volts and run it from the alternator body to the battery -ve when it's running. You'll soon see if there's a problem with grounds.

More likely is a dodgy connection from alterator to instrument cluster either on the battery light or the voltage gauge itself.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
just what i needed - Thanks again guys!
stunned_monkey Wrote:Oh it melted the crossgate cable sheath - that's the next biggest ground path after the engine ground strap!

Take a multimeter set to volts and run it from the alternator body to the battery -ve when it's running. You'll soon see if there's a problem with grounds.

More likely is a dodgy connection from alterator to instrument cluster either on the battery light or the voltage gauge itself.

Would a bad connection to the gauge or light still cause lights etc to be dim?

Im going to do some checks at the weekend with my trusty multimeter.
Vin #4087
Looking at all these pictures above is amazing. I love to see the ins and outs of our cars that at least some of us never get to see. I ultimately want to get a lot of this stuff done to LEX. Not so fussed on things like turbos, but definitely a chassis off refurb of chassis, engine, suspension components etc. Many of you seem to take your cars apart yourselves, and then put them back together yourselves, but get someone else to do the restoration work done to the chassis etc. For someone like me, I don't have the luxury of the space, or tools, or manpower, or bravery to do this, so if/when I can get this all done with LEX, what sort of cost am I going to be expected to pay for basically handing someone LEX (and my sheer TRUST) and let them get on with it?
I mean, how much to quote as a "provided nothing needs replacing" (which i know aint gonna happen) and then typically, how much extra to get the "other" incidentals also taken care of?

Also, timescale? How much time would I expect to have LEX out of my loving hands and attention for this all to be done.

I wanted a project car, and i still have a project car, BUT somethings like this, are JUST TOO FAR OUT OF REACH or expection, for myself to undertake...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Hi Chris (I never had that radiator collected did I....?)

You don't really need a pile of special tools at all. All I invested in was some lengths of 2x4 cut up into small blocks and two the length of the sill, 16 breeze blocks and two ten foot 4" fence posts. I also have a decent jack obviously.

From that point on it's a juggling of jack and breeze block placement but otherwise just a game of lego.

The *cost* of galvanising and powdercoating is around £1500 here (the guys in Ireland get a better deal!) but if it needs welding first, that depends obviously.

The only thing Lex doesn't yet have in terms of mechanical upgrade are poly suspension bushes. I did the brakes, brake hoses, clutch hydraulics and Jamie had me fit a new clutch. You might like to re-do the exhaust gaskets as one o the downpipe gaskets is a bit suspect. BUT I installed all the exhaust studs with copper grease so they won't be a problem! (YAY!). I personally would not fit Lex with one of the stainless exhausts - it just sounds so nice and drives so well as it is. But that's just me Mr Green

Oh.... get the steering rack sorted once and for all. Hardly a frame-off job though.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
stunned_monkey Wrote:Hi Chris (I never had that radiator collected did I....?)

You don't really need a pile of special tools at all. All I invested in was some lengths of 2x4 cut up into small blocks and two the length of the sill, 16 breeze blocks and two ten foot 4" fence posts. I also have a decent jack obviously.

From that point on it's a juggling of jack and breeze block placement but otherwise just a game of lego.

The *cost* of galvanising and powdercoating is around £1500 here (the guys in Ireland get a better deal!) but if it needs welding first, that depends obviously.

The only thing Lex doesn't yet have in terms of mechanical upgrade are poly suspension bushes. I did the brakes, brake hoses, clutch hydraulics and Jamie had me fit a new clutch. You might like to re-do the exhaust gaskets as one o the downpipe gaskets is a bit suspect. BUT I installed all the exhaust studs with copper grease so they won't be a problem! (YAY!). I personally would not fit Lex with one of the stainless exhausts - it just sounds so nice and drives so well as it is. But that's just me Mr Green

Oh.... get the steering rack sorted once and for all. Hardly a frame-off job though.

Hey Martin. The radiator is still sitting in a box in the garage beside LEX, yeah.

...I think doing the job, although my heart would be in my mouth, with some help, perhaps it WOULD be do-able. More the issue though, is the time involved, and MUCH more importantly, the space. LEX is parked at the family home in Edinburgh (as you know). That house, is right now a 5 car household (2 owned by me!) and the house has one small garage (big enough to fit LEX in and open the drivers side door only) and the driveway has the potential to squeeze in 3 other cars (just), leaving the other 4th car out in the street. So as you can see, its barely manageable with all cars intact, never mind dismantling one of them, and leaving it sitting on blocks of wood etc.

Like i said, i think the best option for me, is to hand the car over to someone who does this sort of thing for a living, or something, and let them handle it. I think *THEY* would be in a better suited position to do the job.

Does no-one else have similar space/time constraints? Is it just me?

LEX is now a dry weather car only (except for taking a chance when travelling to club meets) as the chassis is rotting quite badly near the back end around the engine cradle. I've already had to have welding done to get past the M.O.T. last year, and until the chassis is preserved and protected for the wet, it makes sense to not expose the car to the wet if it's not necessary.
As you can imagine, even when i'm in the UK at home, that means the car isn't getting out as much as I would like. I would very much like LEX to be ok for driving in some of the more typical Scottish weather...

As for the steering rack. Yes. I would really like to get that done. My thinking was to do it, when getting the chassis off work done at the same time. I would also like, while the engine is off, to get it cleaned up and fix the oil leak i'm getting from underneath somewhere. I think its coming from the sump somewhere, although the gearbox bolts being loose last year, seemed to be where the majority of the leak(s) were coming from. I can't tighten up the back row of sump bolts just above the engine cradle! They're impossible to reach with a spanner! Even my mechanic has failed at getting those tightened up, telling me he'd have to lift the engine up to get at them, and then telling me "its a really good design!?" ha-ha! (I bet most mechanics have some similar comments to make about different aspects of these cars)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)