Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
soon to be owner - some questions!
Hi all!

Ok, well i went to have a look at one in Northampton yesturday:
- 1981 vin 3659, 31k miles, and its black, painted.
- body is good, no dents
- chassis looks good appart fom some sort of plate on the bottom of the chassis between the front wheels which has rusted through, is this structural?
- not been on the road since 1996, dry stored indoors
- dont know if it'll start, not run since 1996.
- the paint is in a bad way, someone has tried to strip it off one of the doors, badly.
- everything is there as far as im aware, but will need new brakes, and a partial retrim, new tyres etc.

so what im wondering is if the asking price is reasonable for one in this state? He's asking £7500, but i think this is a bit steep...
Also - i dont like the paint, and its a mess, can it be stripped?

looking forwards to hearing from y'all

(PS - im used to fiddling and very used to random fault finding on rare cars, i currently run a tvr chimaera)
That car has been for sale for a while now.

Probably needs another 5-7 thousand(?) to get it right assuming the panels under the paint arent too bad.

Things that will need replaced/refurbed after that length of time sitting:
Fuel system
Brakes
Suspension
Interior wasnt too good when I seen it a few years ago
Removing paint from stainless panels = regrain and repair of whatever you find underneath! Chassis repairs (if the fuel tank plate is rusted through, you can be sure the chassis itself isnt pretty in that area)
Vin #4087
dmc4087 Wrote:That car has been for sale for a while now.

Probably needs another 5-7 thousand(?) to get it right assuming the panels under the paint arent too bad.

Things that will need replaced/refurbed after that length of time sitting:
Fuel system
Brakes
Suspension
Interior wasnt too good when I seen it a few years ago
Removing paint from stainless panels = regrain and repair of whatever you find underneath! Chassis repairs (if the fuel tank plate is rusted through, you can be sure the chassis itself isnt pretty in that area)

Hi - yes i got the impression that it had been on sale for some time, though (this owner) said i was the first person to come and have a serious look at it, said he bought it last year.
the interior is very tired yes, will need a retrim, but if i buy i may just substitute some other seats for the time being.
i had budgeted for fuel pipes, brakes etc.

just worried about the chassis.

He says hes going to get it on a lift and get some decent photos and i can go back over for another poke. at least hes being honest!

So if its been on sale for ages and you say you saw it years ago.. what do we think to the value?
Where you looking at it to buy? if so, why didnt you?
Pm'd Smile
Vin #4087
Be nice to see this car on the road again!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I've also seen the car and the paint was applied over what looks like epoxy filler, so the usual paint stripper approach probably wouldn't work on its own. I would not buy this car in order to strip the paint *personally*

I didn't get a look at the chassis but I would consider it to be a full frame restoration job. Pull it apart , repair, galvanise and powdercoat. It's the only approach which won't leave you biting your nails at every MOT.

There no 4 things more likely to devalue a DeLorean than

1) Paint / damaged bodywork (one often = the other)
2) Rotten chassis
3) Rotten interior
4) non-runner

You won't find another UK registered DeLorean for £7500 in a hurry. However my mate Martyn recently got a 5-speed non-runner in from the US, tax paid with straight stainless, a good chassis and a rotten but complete interior for <£9500 if memory serves.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Thanks for the PM dmc4087 - good info - and just for the record, nothing bad said!

stunned_monkey - Has anyone not seen this car??!! out of interest, why where you looking at it, and when? was it in england, ireland or the US? and if you where looking to buy, what put you off? (PM best!)

Im still very tempted, but will have to work on the price with the seller as it will definately need a LOT of work, and either fully stripping or a full re-spray, obviously stripping being my preffered route if its do-able.
not to mention that we cant confirm that the engine even turns over....

very genuine seller though, could probably have spent another 4 hours with him talking about stuff!!
Darkcat Wrote:stunned_monkey - Has anyone not seen this car??!! out of interest, why where you looking at it, and when? was it in england, ireland or the US? and if you where looking to buy, what put you off? (PM best!)

I bought a restored chassis from him which he originally bought with the car but sold seperately. This was a month or so ago.

Speaking for myself, I'd probably be quite interested in the car if it were a 5-speed. I've always liked the look of that car since it appeard in the "Back from the Future" documentary. Always fancied one in black ever since. I just can't stand autos!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Ah yes he was on about you having had the chassis recently...
and this documentary.... is it available anywhere??

Thats fair enough, im not a fan of auto's either, but as a first delorean im willing to ignore that! im still not sure about it being black... its different, i'll give it that!
im not expecting it to be a "fast" car anyway, so not THAT bothered..... getting bored of the incredibly heavy clutch in my tvr....
With a modern clutch, the DeLorean pedal is nice and light. It's just that the manual transmissions are pretty bomb-proof with any repairs being cheap. The autos are always an unknown in a non-runner (often being the cause of the lay-up) and can cost thousands to repair or replace. They're slower, heavier, much less reliable and have only 3 speeds....

... sorry, not a rant at this particular car, just autos in general!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Im restoring a D at the moment, and its costing a fortune, just be careful and really check what needs doing. Speak to Chris at pj grady,s and see how much he will charge to strip the panels and do a re grain. i would try and knock him down a bit. we are in a recession and he prob needs whatever money he can get for it. good luck.
ill probably just give it a flash-over in black for a start (Have the kit to do that myself), get it MOT'ed etc, then think about stripping later when funds allow.
Darkcat Wrote:ill probably just give it a flash-over in black for a start (Have the kit to do that myself), get it MOT'ed etc, then think about stripping later when funds allow.

Probably the route I would take, I think the black looks superb too.
Vin #4087
stunned_monkey Wrote:With a modern clutch, the DeLorean pedal is nice and light.
Are they light? I'll have a left leg like popeye soon with the weight of mine.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
New hydraulics helps too (I swap out both cylinders on all my cars - but I am usually dealing with ones that've sat for eons).

We've got an A610 clutch in one car at present and it's still lighter than an original 1981 fitted standard clutch. I was quite surprised, given it'll handle over 400ft-lbs!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars