Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old 1983 Hotwheels Delorean inspired car
A friend of mine was given a box of old toy cars recently, and he found this gem. The 'Super X' made in 1983 is obviously Delorean inspired, right down to details such as the gull wing doors and the six exhaust manifold pipes underneath (I think this model may have been rebadged as Turismo later).
The accident damage rotates over to reveal an undamaged section and the 'bonnet' pulls forward from under the winscreen to complete the transformation.I believe there was another model car that had damage to the door area, and that rotated to reveal an undamaged door, unfortunately the bonnet on this car no longer works but is still mobile after nearly 30 years (sound like my DMC). The six ram pipes for the carburation (ahem!) sticking through the rear deck lid is interesting! 8)
But they got the wheel and tyre size right for once! 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Looks like it hit a lampost!!! I 'think' DMC seller on Ebay recently sold some paperwork about a car model. May have been Mattel but I cant find the Ebay ad now. I'm sure it mentioned something about it being put on hold or something. Parhaps this was the outcome?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hotwheels released the Turismo in 1981, which is similar to the DMC in design so that may have been lined up to be badged as a Delorean but the patent or whatever licensing was not approved or summat. The Super X was released as a 'crack-up' (?) Why did it take nearly 30 years to release a decent version of the DMC? 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Hotwheels 'Crack-up' models were ones where they had spring-loaded parts which looked like a normal body-panel on one side, but when touched, they would flip round to show an accident-damaged version of the same piece on the other side - hence why this one looks like it hit a lamp-post. I had one which was a toyota pickup where the rear panel was done in such a way - an impact in the area (from another toy car etc)caused the Truckman top to spring up and the accident-damaged rear panel to whip into view, looking liek it had just been in an accident.

Fun times...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126