Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Width of the DeLorean
Hi there! I'm planning on purchasing a DeLorean just as soon as I get the available funding (I'm currently about a quarter there), however there's a pretty important issue that I need to address beforehand.

I only have a single, not very wide garage, and whereas it fits my current car fine I'm aware that DeLoreans are a pretty wide car and, due to the gullwing doors, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get out if I parked in there! So I was hoping one of you could tell me - exactly how wide is the DeLorean with one of the doors sorta half open (measuring the tip at it's furthest out)?

Thanks in advance Smile
Steve
Cheers,
Steve Tucker

VIN 5706, October 81, grey interior, auto, "AXI 81"
DOC 685
Believe it or not, the Delorean is only 5" wider than a Ford Sierra and 10" shorter!

Full set of dimensions here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/t_dims.htm

Plus you'll need about 12" to clear the door.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Great, thanks Richard. I just measured up and with a little skillful parking I've got just enough room! Smile
Cheers,
Steve Tucker

VIN 5706, October 81, grey interior, auto, "AXI 81"
DOC 685
There's plenty of us with only enough room to open one door at a time, myself included! My garage is fine for doing jobs on the front or rear of the car but hopeless for anything on the sides!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Same story here.

I have carefully positioned mirrors in my garage in order to be able to see down the length of the passenger side of LEX when i drive in and out the garage. The front wheel arch sits about 1" away from the wall when i have it just right! The car also sits at an angle for the best access i find.

You'll need 73" car width space, plus 1" or so for security on passenger side, plus a further 12" in order to get in and out the car once parked. 14ft should see the length ok if memory serves. So basically 7ft by 14ft is just about right.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)