Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delorean VRT / VAT
Hey,
I'm just wondering if it's possible to import a DeLorean from America into the UK or Ireland and waiting until next year when it's 30 years old to register it? Can it be taken out of the docks without paying VRT?
Thanks
by VRT do you mean car tax (road fund licence)?

If so, yes you can collect a car from the docks and take it home without road tax - a car would need insurance, and MOT and other DVLA/Customs paperwork plus paperwork and title from the seller before you can register it in the UK and get a tax disc and registration number anyway.

Is the rolling exemption for road tax coming back then? I know the rolling 25yr exemption was scrapped by Labour in the late 90's, but hadnt read or seen anywhere about its return. Be good if it is coming back tho Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I'm wondering about bringing a car into Ireland really, the VRT is the registration tax on imported cars which is somewhere in the region of 4000 euro. Once a car is 30 years old it can be registered for a nominal fee. So I was wondering if I could get a car out of the docks without paying customs and wait till next year to register it?
Hi Kevin, welcom to the forum.

Certainly in the UK it has to be registered before 01/01/73 for free tax, which the Delorean will never be, under current rules. The incoming government has supposedly made some noises about reintroducing a rolling programme - but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Certainly the rule for a rolling 30 year definition still exists in Ireland as far as I know - and several owners are biding their time until this date before officially registering their cars, (as of 2009!)

I'm sure some of the members of the DOI forum would be more 'genned' up on the rules over there - try posting the question on

http://www.delorean.ie/forum/

as I'm sure the question will have cropped up before.

Good luck!

R
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
ah, I didnt realise that this was an import into Eire.

I've heard that Eire does have high car tax compared to the UK.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie