Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIG Delorean model
Hi All,

Those of you who have either met me or seen my signature know that I'm currently saving for a Delorean of my very own.
What you probably won't know is that I am very tempted to do a BTTF conversion on it once I get it.

However, there is a very high possibility that once I finally lay hands on one of these stainless beauties, I won't be able to bring my self to drill holes in it (or anything else needed for a conversion).
I have therefore decided to create a backup plan and buy a large delorean model, which I will then convert using scaled down parts.

This now puts me in the position of looking for a large delorean model. I currently own the SunStar diecast 1/18 scale BTTF car (part II), which is far from accurate due to size constraints.
And I've seen the 1/16 scale on the net, but I need bigger. I'm looking for something closer to 2 feet, and so far Google has not been much help.

Just wondering if there's anyone that knows of a Delorean model, pre-assembled or otherwise, that's close to that size?
I know its a long shot but it saves me trying to scale up the SunStar from scratch.

Thanks in advance!
Matt Goodliffe
Still dreaming the dream.
DOC 669
Honda Civic S

Delorean Savings Progress
██████████████████████████████████████████████████ 38%
I dont know of any models that big of the DeLorean - mebbe you could take a look at the
wooden DMC mock up at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum (will be on the net, if not
plenty of us have piccies), and maybe make a lightweight scale model from a modeling wood
like balsa (used in model aircraft).

Just an idea.....
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi Claire,

Yes, a wooden model made from scratch would be an option. Although I'm not sure how I would make it accurately enough.

At work I do have the use of a portable 3D Scanner, however I'm obviously not able to take it from the premises due to its enormous price tag.
I could, however, use it to scan a smaller model that I could take to work with me, which I would then enlarge to create an accurate replica.
Only problem - I have to have a perfect scale model to scan. I'm not sure how accurate those SunStar models are, probably not enough.

I work a lot with 3D graphics programs and CAD software, and have already build a Delorean model up in CAD. However the model was built using reference images, and a few dimensions taken from the same SunStar model, so again its accuracy cannot be trusted. I would use 3D CAD software to design the BTTF parts for the model and possibly (if I get the nerve) reproduce them full size for the real conversion.

I suppose if anyone has a LOAD of dimensions and possibly some engineering style drawings, a CAD model could be made that was accurate enough. I would of course share this CAD model with the Delorean community, for those who wanted it. Big Grin
Matt Goodliffe
DOC 669
Honda Civic S

This one big enough?
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1472&p=13394#p13394 near bottom of posting :lol: cant let you borrow it but your welcome to use it for pictures/drawings/mesurements Etc.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
That is awesome Chris!
Must be great to own a real piece of Delorean history.

I would love to take dimensions off it, but I fear it would take a LONG time to get them all.
Long enough for you to want me to stop pestering you at any rate :lol:

Perhaps if I can get some dimensions I could fill in the gaps with ones from your model.
How big is it btw? What kind of scale is it? 1/3?
Matt Goodliffe
DOC 669
Honda Civic S

This is apparently the miniture they used in BTTF3 for the train scenes...

[Image: BTTF3Deloreanminiature.jpg]

The only large models out there are one offs really, looks like an interesting project, look forward to seeing it one day.

BTW Chris, where did you get that model from?

Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Flex Wrote:That is awesome Chris!
Must be great to own a real piece of Delorean history.

I would love to take dimensions off it, but I fear it would take a LONG time to get them all.
Long enough for you to want me to stop pestering you at any rate :lol:

Perhaps if I can get some dimensions I could fill in the gaps with ones from your model.
How big is it btw? What kind of scale is it? 1/3?

It's a 1/4 scale origional prototype model. There were two, one off the car and one off the underbody/chassis. The underbody chassis is over in the US. Mine is in the loft because my 4 yera old thinks it's his :roll: To give you an idea of scale thats a sun star 1/18 car sitting on it!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
well, as an idea, if you havent booked already, why dont you come along to the DOC-UK
shindig in June in Shropshire - our special guest speaker has lots of factory memorabilia
which includes folders full of technical stuff about the car. Bound to have some measurements
for you! Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks Claire!

I was planning on coming, just have to check the dates and I'll be booked in.
Looking forward to meeting most of you, and this special guest!
Matt Goodliffe
DOC 669
Honda Civic S

Im working on a scaled down (not decided exatly what scale yet) model of a chassis and wheels as part of my degree. That model looks great Chris. How did you come by that? I've never heard of it before.

I'm taking alot of frame dimentions off my car then scaling chasis drawings to fit so I can scale the lot down to about a foot and a half long. Its the one university project that im fully into! Where abouts do you work Matt? If your not too hot on sculpting you could 3d scan it and 'cut' it up to print in section using a 3d printer, would cost an arm and a leg though! I'm planning on modelling the wheels for mine then 3d printing them, possibly some of the suspension components too.
Sounds like a cool project Scott! I didn't manage to wriggle the Delorean into my degree so feeling pretty jealous Big Grin

I'm not great at sculpting, but I would create most of my model in 3D CAD for exactly that reason, and then perhaps attempt a real model.
I have access to a 3D printer at work (Crawley Creatures in Buckingham), but I wasn't planning on printing any parts.

Any dimensions that you take off your car, or scaled chassis drawings would be very useful to me though!
I know its a lot of work for you to just give a copy away, so if you decline I totally understand.
Matt Goodliffe
DOC 669
Honda Civic S

a few friends of mine viseted crawley creatures earlier this year as part of a project. Small world!
Hi Matt,
If you want to take dimensions from a full sized car you are welcome to come to MK. Less than an hour from you I think...

I made a plaster cast from the 1/24 scale BTTF model around 10 years ago and spent ages measuring Dave Howarth's lourve etc so that I could accurately scratch build the factory/stock finish. (This model is available for reference too if helpful).

I seen some very successfully 3D models on the web over the years modelled with an array of packages, some more successful than others. Have you researched with Youtube and Google images?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the offer, may have to take you up on that!
Though again, I do worry that you'd get tired of me pretty quickly taking all the dimensions! :lol:
But if you're happy to, perhaps I could drop by some time and we could talk cars.

As for YouTube and Google images, I have found a few models, but most aren't up for giving those models away.
And again, I'm not sure of how reliable the pictures can be. I wonder how they have got the dimensions for their model.
I already made a 3D model myself:

[Image: NewFront.jpg]
[Image: NewRear.jpg]

But this was made from reference images and dimensions taken from a 1/18 scale BTTF model (mentioned earlier).
I could scale that model's parts to real size, but again it wouldn't be accurate enough to actually make parts from.
Matt Goodliffe
DOC 669
Honda Civic S

Just thought you might be interested in my first attempt at a BTTF model when I was... 14 I think.

[Image: oldFront.jpg]
[Image: oldRear.jpg]

Shows you what nothing but images and memory, and a lacking in 3D CAD knowledge does to your vision :lol:
Matt Goodliffe
DOC 669
Honda Civic S