Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delorean Plans going under the Hammer Tonight.
Surprise This is not on Here. :o or is someone keeping it a secret :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/n ... 200438.stm >
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

[Image: DSC_0112-1.jpg]
Live the Dream today, Because I did it yesterday.
I was sent an Email regarding this, however as I could not get any reply as to what the content was I did not post about it. As we all know there are lots of sets of plans that come up on Ebay all the time from toilet blocks to test tracks! I think there must have been dozens if not hundreds of plans and copies made, But does this make them worth much? Looking at the ones sold on Ebay I dont think so, but I'm sure there a nice memento to have. Hope you get them Neal if you bid.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:I was sent an Email regarding this, however as I could not get any reply as to what the content was I did not post about it. As we all know there are lots of sets of plans that come up on Ebay all the time from toilet blocks to test tracks! I think there must have been dozens if not hundreds of plans and copies made, But does this make them worth much? Looking at the ones sold on Ebay I dont think so, but I'm sure there a nice memento to have. Hope you get them Neal if you bid.

Chris
I Think these are the master plans, as the ones on Ebay are copys from the master plans. I think they will go for a lot more than a few pounds.
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

Ahh right. Master plans of the factory? Would have been nice to see what was being sold so everyone could make there mind up as to view. Though difficult for them to do this for every item I suppose. You going down there to put a bid in Smile
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:Ahh right. Master plans of the factory? Would have been nice to see what was being sold so everyone could make there mind up as to view. Though difficult for them to do this for every item I suppose. You going down there to put a bid in Smile
Chris
I would need to be fast driver as it starts in a hour :lol: And it would not have made the news here if they were copys.
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

I've just read the BBC article - usual rubbish ie saying that "£80m of government money
was spent in the hope of creating 2000 jobs" - correct me if I'm wrong Neal, but I think
well over 2000 people did get jobs, and the factory is still there employing people to this
day.

Also they say that out of 8600 cars produced, only 6500 survive - I would have thought
that a 75% survival rate for a car approaching its 30th birthday is pretty good myself!! Big Grin

Journalists........ :roll:

I must admit, I didnt know anything about this auction, but I hope the plans stay in the UK
if possible.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Guinney1971 Wrote:I've just read the BBC article - usual rubbish ie saying that "£80m of government money
was spent in the hope of creating 2000 jobs" - correct me if I'm wrong Neal, but I think
well over 2000 people did get jobs, and the factory is still there employing people to this
day.

Also they say that out of 8600 cars produced, only 6500 survive - I would have thought
that a 75% survival rate for a car approaching its 30th birthday is pretty good myself!! Big Grin

Journalists........ :roll:

I must admit, I didnt know anything about this auction, but I hope the plans stay in the UK
if possible.
Clare
By June 81 there was 1400 jobs at the factory, at the end of may 82, 1500 were employed most were gone then, and that included myself. (pay stopped, and Take over of Factory began shorty after that.) The Labour government hope it would create over 2000 jobs. It was well over that if you include local suppliers.
Don't forget there was parts to build 20,000 cars, which I found out after the factory closed. We have to thank Steve and James at DMC Houston for that. Smile
The factory was build so if it failed,(which it did) it could be used for something else. So in all the tax payers got its money back and that included myself to.
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

cheers for clearing that up Neal, I always thought the factory employed more people then
that when it was at its busiest.

Parts to make 20,000 cars!!! Wow!! That'll explain the 'walls of doors' I saw at DMCH's
Open House in 2003 :wink:

Do you know if the plans sold last night? Who bought them and how much?
Guinney1971 Wrote:cheers for clearing that up Neal, I always thought the factory employed more people then
that when it was at its busiest.

Parts to make 20,000 cars!!! Wow!! That'll explain the 'walls of doors' I saw at DMCH's
Open House in 2003 :wink:

Do you know if the plans sold last night? Who bought them and how much?

Sorry Clare, Reading old Belfast Telegraphs at one point it was 2500. I think this was late summer 81.

The plans sold for £235 plus fees. thats all I know, giving the media interest these must have been used at the factory.
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

s'okay Neal, I'll let you off! lol :wink:

£235 eh, not bad really, wonder who bought them?
sorry, here is the right link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8200438.stm
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

hi
saw this post, but i don't think they were the originals, just prints.

(i worked in a structural engineers drawing office from 1984!)

normally drawings back then were done on a tracing type paper called negative.

as it was very expensive to produce title blocks with clients names on and other companies involved, as far as i know most offices used to copy onto a type of clear sticky back plastic (called transtext), and then stick onto the original tracing drawing which already had the engineers name printed.
you can normally tell as they were then printed onto paper with an ammonia printer, and certain parts of the titles will shwo up with a slighty shaded background, and yes you used to hang them up to dry for ten minutes (hence the lovely smell in the print room, and then they were posted to site...no emails, faxes or computers/CAD then!).

if you had 2 drawings to be similar but with a few differences (say different brackets on a steel frame), you could print onto a tracing film with the ammonia printer which came out darker, and then scratch out what you did not want with a razor blade.

then redraw on with rotring ink pens.

a construction set would have been sent to many people, QS's, Architects, M&E, local Authority etc, and in some cases contractors would have a few of the same.

now the original negatives could be worth a bit more!

sorry to show my age!!

Regards

Steve
ex vin 1621
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
lol, I know what you mean mate, my first job after I left school was at an Architect's, and
I had to use a big dyline printing machine that reeked of amonia. The paper for doing the
drawings was yellow one side, and white the other IIRC, and you had to lay the transparancy
that the architect had done on the paper, then feed it into the printing machine.

Jeez, thats taking me back abit (about 20yrs+) lol!! :lol:
here is the right link., put the other one on by mistake, but nice to share, working late last night. :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8200438.stm
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

yes

kids don't know they're born with CAD these days.

the old days were better, you learned quickly when you took a day to draw something, then 1/2 a day to scratch off and put it right when you made a mistake.

and you learned every note and item on the drawing. no in offices i work in everyone imports parts from other drawings, and have not a clue if it is right or what it is.
the old rule was, don't draw something if you don't know what it is because you'll look a fool when a builder rings and asks!!

and we all still lived ok without mobile phones, the net, faxes.

bring back the eighties.

Steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370