Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering Wheel Puller tool - who made one?
Hi All,

I can vaguely remember someone made a puller for removing the steering wheel off the splines.

I need to move mine 1 spline round as it is not central to the steering rack and I want to adjust this before I do a 4 wheel alignment on the car.

Who made this tool and do they still have it?

Any chance I can borrow it?

Thanks in advance,

NickT.
James Russell Grant made it and I think It's sitting in Martins tool box mate
Hi Nick,

not sure if the one for the DeLorean is a specific type/unique to the DeLorean, but I needed a steering wheel puller for the Cavalier so Phill went to Romac for me and bought me one designed for that car for £13.99 - he said they had loads of different ones on the shelf - might be worth a look?

Claire
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I remember reading somewhere that the two holes in the wheel are the 'customary' 7mm threads... is that right ?

(What is it with DeLoreans and 7mm threads Smile )
If you do not find an extractor, you can also use a soft hammer, hold firmly the left part of the wheel and strike not too heavily on the back of the wheel on the right part.
Invert sides and repeat processus several times.
It works very well if you're not afraid to use an hammer, it took me more time to find the hammer in the garage than to remove the steering wheel. ;-)

You could also make your extractor with a little piece of metal, 3 bolts and some taps.

Like this one but instead of welding bolts, you can also thread the three holes :
[Image: dscn02857fo.jpg]
The photo represents an extractor made by a French owner (Stainless on the French forum).
DeLoreany yours,

Chris.
#04271.
steering wheel pullers are for wimps :wink:

Just undo the nut then push and pull quite hard, mine came off quite easily Big Grin
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
I am officially a wimp then Smile

Tried tugging and pulling at mine for ages and nothing happened ....

(Yes I am taking about the removal of the steering wheel)

My wheel is still one spline out too, might be time for the club to have something on hand for us wimps to use Wink
Chris_DeLorean Wrote:If you do not find an extractor, you can also use a soft hammer, hold firmly the left part of the wheel and strike not too heavily on the back of the wheel on the right part.
Invert sides and repeat processus several times.
It works very well if you're not afraid to use an hammer, it took me more time to find the hammer in the garage than to remove the steering wheel. ;-)

You could also make your extractor with a little piece of metal, 3 bolts and some taps.

Like this one but instead of welding bolts, you can also thread the three holes :

The photo represents an extractor made by a French owner (Stainless on the French forum).

nice pic Smile Im assuming the outer bolts just pass through the steering wheel holes and washered and nutted on the back ? cant see me getting any 7mm threaded rod easily
hmmm...........the Cavalier one is a 'two hole' jobbie too......... I wonder if the extractor we bought for that will fit?

We tried attacking the GLi's steering wheel with all sorts, ranging from brute force to ignorance, but it wouldnt budge - closer inspection revealed it being pretty mucky on the splines, so it's probably all gunked up and seized in there anyway.

When I'm feeling better and I've got some strength back in my arm I'll have ago with the steering wheel puller and see how I get on.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
bozzzydmc Wrote:nice pic Smile Im assuming the outer bolts just pass through the steering wheel holes and washered and nutted on the back ? cant see me getting any 7mm threaded rod easily

I never used this system, I think that the outer bolts are simply bolted on the steering wheel. I'm like ChrisS.Mr Green
DeLoreany yours,

Chris.
#04271.
If anyone wants one let me know and I'll make one for you. Any excuse to get the welder out Big Grin
Thants great Dan ...If you have time maybe you could make one up and sent it up to me . That way the club has one to use.
Daniel Shane Wrote:If anyone wants one let me know and I'll make one for you. Any excuse to get the welder out Big Grin

I miss my welder Sad
Just undo the nut then push and pull quite hard, mine came off quite easily Big Grin[/quote]

are you sure martin never put the steering wheel on :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Mike/Nick

Im off for a week starting the weekend but when I'm back I'll make a few of them.

My lasting contribution to the DOC Big Grin