Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charging / Voltage issue
Bit of a new one on me.

Voltage gauge has always read about 2-3 needles widths over the 13V when the engine is running, unless of course the headlights / fans/ etc are all on then it will be just above the 13V

When i went to monmouth 3 weeks ago, after the 15 mile journey, i noticed on tickover the needle was bang on 13V when idling, but the use of any accessories would make it drop below 13 which it never does.

I ignored it, and last weekend i went to start the car after 2 weeks, and it wouldn't turn over. I had to put the other battery on, and then it went fine.

On my way to hereford, i noticed it was 13V one minute, just over the next, and a few needles widths above as it should be all at different point of the journey.

Aint been back down the garage since, but i got a feeling the alternator is on its way out - either that or the plug is corroded or something, another thing i aint checked. Fan belt could be tighter, but i cant see that being the issue to be honest. Not once though has the charging battery light came on while driving.

Any ideas?

I think the alternator was re-built about 2002 ish....... can you clarify this ChrisS?

I also want to source some braided front brake hoses, cos i think one of mine has collapsed after swivelling it last year.

Cheers people......

Ben
new alternator mate, and edd is coming over get a set of hoses off him cheers TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Well I agree Tony... Perhaps Ed can bring over a new Alt too? I can help it to get over to you .....
Could just be the regulator pack thats going down, though they can be rather expensive.

Also check for bad connections on the main power cables. The positive makes quite a few jumps around the alternator, starter, battery, starter post and eventually to the bulkhead, just below the coil. Any one of those could be loose or corroded.

Also check the battery negative where it bolts to the chassis. It shares one of the mounting bolts of the right hand TAB bush - this is notorious for corrosion and wotking loose.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
I dont know about tyring to repair old alternators, they just seem to pack up again and you end up spending just as much as a new one ... personally speaking if its a 28 year old one you can do better with a modern higher powered one ... just my 2p worth
...and get a decent battery !!

NickT
Exactly Nick... however im getting worried as Ben is getting more attractive to me every day .....
yes he has done his hair :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Phew, I thought it was just me !

NickT
No need to worry Nick ...your more than enough man for me Wink x
bozzzydmc Wrote:No need to worry Nick ...your more than enough man for me Wink x

...thin ice there Mike !
If you've got voltage and alternator issues, just about every possible cause is discussed on this yankee thread:
http://www.dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=13145
VIN 7176
DOC 643
The Alt was replaced by a rebuilt OEM Motorola several years ago. Dave H had it rebuilt for me. I cleaned most of the connections but would check the ground connection on the TAB as previously mentioned as I have not touched that connection.
One way to check is to run a 'decent' jump lead from the battery negative onto the engine. Oh and a load test on the battery to make sure that's up to speed.

Have you checked the alternator is charging ok?
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
NickT Wrote:...thin ice there Mike !

My apologizes ... should have worded that differently x
bozzzydmc Wrote:
NickT Wrote:...thin ice there Mike !

My apologizes ... should have worded that differently x

OK sweetie xxx

NickT