Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manual Delorean Top Speed
I had my wheels balanced this morning and took the car out for a fast run to test for shaking. I used the satnav for speed and took it up to 115mph where it maxed out. I might have got a bit more down a hill but it was pretty much maxed at 115. Is this normal? I know the cars are pretty slow but I expected at least 120. Also doing 115 when I came to an incline the car started to slow back down to 100.

I'd never really taken it for a max speed run in the past because the old knackered bushes make it a bit twitchy over 80.

Cheers,
Dan
VIN: 6511
You'll have to let me know where your private track is Dan Big Grin

Sure you weren't going into a headwind? I would definitely expect more than 115mph from the car. It's not like you've got a large frontal area to push through the air and your car ought to be putting out 150bhp+. Top speed is generally governed by power, drag and gearing - so is it anything to do with the length of 5th gear? Is the car faster in 4th perhaps?

Normally 150bhp should be good for 130mph I'd have said - especially in something as low as the D. What was your speedo reading by the way, or have you got an 85mph one?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
My speedo isn't connected at the moment because I need a new cable. I remember it over reading a little though when it was working last year. The car certainly doesn't feel as fast as I'd expect, especially with the new exhaust. 4th maxes out at about 105, so 5th doesn't take it much more.

I really need to get the fuel pressure set up and try again. Could the low pressure cause it to lean off at high rpm?

The delorean test track is a top secret location between stanstead airport and braintree :wink:
I've got no idea about fuel pressure set ups. Nick H must be the man...

Despite Road and Track's test of a stock D back in the day that said top whack was 109mph, I've dug out this one that tested stock at 120mph, http://www.entermyworld.com/cat/articles...81f1x1.jpg which backs up the 130mph estimate for a tweaked car...

When I visit your test track in mine Dan I'll let you know how I get on...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Hi Dan, I know that section of road, A120 (I mean test track) very well. I am surprised you did not get more than 120mph out of the car, I always thought they should have a higher top speed than that. I do know that you can get 82mph in 2nd gear flat out Shock Up the 1/4 mile at North weald.
perhaps the rolling road at Eurotec will be able to test top speed?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Dan1986 Wrote:I used the satnav for speed and took it up to 115mph where it maxed out. I might have got a bit more down a hill but it was pretty much maxed at 115. Is this normal?

Oh you can get higher than that I think... :wink:
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
... i would say 125+ .... so Ive heard Wink

Fuelling could be an issue yes ... Rolling road at EuroTec will show if that is the case....
last year i took mine up to 115 on the sat nav in the space of a mile and a quarter (turbo on of course) and i could have gone a lot more but the fear of death slowed me up ( and a police motorcyclist ) but it did have more. I reckon 130 is maxing out tho TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
First check would be to make sure that the throttle spool and cable is correctly adjusted so it opens fully (to the end stop) when your foot is fully down on the accelerator pedal.

NickT
NickT Wrote:First check would be to make sure that the throttle spool and cable is correctly adjusted so it opens fully (to the end stop) when your foot is fully down on the accelerator pedal.

NickT

Absolutely - Of all the cars I've looked at none have been set correctly

I've had 4700RPM out of mine, and then there was a bit more (but I was kaking myself by that point).
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
I'll check the throttle spool tomorrow but I think its ok... I wonder if I just didn't give it long enough to get there. In 4th it did feel like it was down on power at high rpm. I'd expect to be able to get it round to nearly the red line in 4th but it seemed to go flat so I changed to 5th then it crept up a bit more then I gave up.

I've got fuel pressure shims now so I think I'll get that set, then get it on gas analyzer, I also have 2 air flow meters to play with. Then I'll try again. I don't want to thrash it round at high speed all the time, I just want it running as it should and from what you are saying it sounds like its a little bit down on power at the moment.
hi

i am not surprised at 115, afterall we are talking 80's technology. and make sure the Tabs have been done!

and its not how fast you go, its the style that gets you there.

i personally think an exhaust change would make little difference.

tha main change in acceleration a turbo or supercharger. (or nitrous)

Regards

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Vin 5255 has a stage I kind of setup with an unusual free flowing exhaust design and a little while back the GPS + 170mph speedo confirmed 135mph with a little more to give but it did take a while to get there. This was on the flat on a windless day. I expected 120/125mph but not past the 130mph plus mark. To say I was chuffed was a bit of an understatement. Big Grin

I love the mechanical speedo's, they are so much more reliable than the electric versions on modern cars that over read by so much. My father in laws Volvo said 70mph on the speedo and 64mph on the TomTom. The 170mph never over reads by more that around 2mph...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Dan1986 Wrote:I had my wheels balanced this morning and took the car out for a fast run to test for shaking. I used the satnav for speed and took it up to 115mph where it maxed out. I might have got a bit more down a hill but it was pretty much maxed at 115. Is this normal? I know the cars are pretty slow but I expected at least 120. Also doing 115 when I came to an incline the car started to slow back down to 100.

I'd never really taken it for a max speed run in the past because the old knackered bushes make it a bit twitchy over 80.

Cheers,
Dan

I found my speedo was pretty much a spot on match for my sat nav? once I getup to 30mph the satnav matches the speedo guage exactly, I've never taken it up to top speed.

Dan1986 Wrote:The delorean test track is a top secret location between stanstead airport and braintree :wink:
yeah I know that 1

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Today I checked the throttle spool and adjusted it to open to the end stop. I then got it on a gas tester and set the CO to 2% (It was reading 0.9% before!) I then went for another test and it pulls nicely up to 100 then you have to wait ages for it to creap up then again 115 seems pretty much maxed.

So it looks like something needs to be played with. Next thing to try is fuel shims, and another air flow meter (volvo one)