Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ashes To Ashes"
lawrencew Wrote:
mikesumner Wrote:It's a pity I don't have the contacts to inform those that matter of my 1981 Talbot Solara as they are clearly struggling to find cars from that era in the right sort of condition.

I'm aiming on having a solution to this in the next few weeks, if anyone is willing to help me out. I'll provide some more details soon.

Classic car lover,
Lawrence Smile

My Solara is running but not MOT'd so I will happily trailer it if it is required as I have worked hard on it for the past 18 months to get it running again so it would be nice for it to be seen by others.

Let me know if it's needed.
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
Great to hear that this project is coming on Mike, got any new pics? Smile

Rich Hanlon called round last night with his new toy - very nice indeed and drooltastic!!! Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Claire Usher Wrote:Great to hear that this project is coming on Mike, got any new pics? Smile

Rich Hanlon called round last night with his new toy - very nice indeed and drooltastic!!! Big Grin

Sadly no new pics I'm afraid as I keep forgetting until I've put it back in the garage.

There isn't really much noticably different on the face of it anyway as much of my time has been spent elbow-deep in the engine bay adjusting and cleaning things.

The project has hit a bit of a halt at the moment though because it's running beautifully up and down the drive and even idles smoothly but the nest thing to sort has to be the rust. Admittedly there isn't much but there are a couple of spots behind the front wheels and I think it'll be so time-consuming that I keep putting it off.

From more than 5 feet away though it could easily pass as a new car if we were pretending to be in 1982 lol.
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
lol, well it might be worth getting some quotes for the welding if you are not confident of
doing it yourself. Its not as expensive as you think, and somone on here is bound to know
somebody who can help you out.

I've had various patches put on my 20yr old Cavalier over the years, and it was never that
expensive tbh.

Talking of which, I really *must* get around to sorting that car out, been promising to restore
her for nearly 2yrs now! :roll:
Thanks for the kind words Claire. Today should test the integrity of the canvas sunroof!

As for a list of older cars Lawrence, keep us posted! Besides Mike's Solara, I have a great little Allegro and the 126 might be finished one day... And now a Renault 17 of course!!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Thanks for the kind words Claire. Today should test the integrity of the canvas sunroof!

As for a list of older cars Lawrence, keep us posted! Besides Mike's Solara, I have a great little Allegro and the 126 might be finished one day... And now a Renault 17 of course!!

Absolutely.

It would be good to get a few of our various older cars out and about for people to see rather than the inside of the garage being the only scenery my Solara has been enjoying in the past 18 years.
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Thanks for the kind words Claire. Today should test the integrity of the canvas sunroof!

hang on Rich, you're going a bit far there mate - "great" and "Allegro" in the same sentence - come on!! :wink: :lol:

Hows the 17 holding up in this mornings Derby-Downpour? I'm not in the Cabby today, we've
taken Nuke in for her MOT instead - only done 1,258 miles since the last one, so *hopefully" she'll
pass ok and will be gleaming on the VODC stand at Billing next week Big Grin
Ah, there's as much bunk about the Aggro as there is about the D, it was never that bad really!! Plus it's only done 19000 from new, (of which I've done 8000 myself) and only one owner before me! Anyway, I don't want to open myself up to any flack here so we'll drop the Allegro thread!!

The 17 is watertight so far, beading nicely on the sunroof and nothing coming under it - at least not while stationary!

Good luck with the MOT today!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
lol, you know I'm only pulling your leg about the Aggro :wink:

Glad the 17 is watertight Big Grin

Car passed its MOT today with flying colours Smile
Tres bon!

My D's MOT is coming up too, just need to put the new rear discs on it. At least I now have them though!

I got the powerstop ones Bozzy recommended and they look just the part, though I didn't find the delivery exactly blistering (~10 days incuding badgering time...)
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
lawrencew Wrote:
mikesumner Wrote:It's a pity I don't have the contacts to inform those that matter of my 1981 Talbot Solara as they are clearly struggling to find cars from that era in the right sort of condition.

I'm aiming on having a solution to this in the next few weeks, if anyone is willing to help me out. I'll provide some more details soon.

Classic car lover,
Lawrence Smile

I was just wondering if there were any developments on this?
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby