Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel pressure shims
Hi there,

Does anyone have any spare metering heads that I could borrow a pressure shim out of? I want to get some made up as you can't buy them anywhere now. I need some for my car and I'm sure others do, so a few to bring along to eurotec would be handy I'd think.

I just need to borrow one shim to get the internal and external diameter, and then make some up with different thicknesses. What thicknesses would be it be worth making Nick?

Dan
VIN: 6511
Cant Ken Mills sell them to you in packs of 10 ??? Thought that was his minimum order now ?
I think Alastair spoke to them and they can't supply them anymore.
Im wondering ....cant ... or wont .....?
whichever it is, I have a couple of volvo metering heads and I think I have 1 spare shim.

I would say 1mm shims would be just fine and could be made from standard metric washers, but the centre hole would have to be drilled out.

I will get the dimensions for you Dan if you think you could get some made up.
I haven't bothered getting anymore as my fuel pressure is now set at 5.5 bar and Alistair had my last 2 0.5mm thick ones.

Book setting is primary pressure to 5.1 to 5.3 bar (checking range is 5.0 to 5.5
All cars have been around 4.7bar.

NickT
Hi Mike

It was definitely cant, and also I tried a direct Bosch stockist they all say no longer available.

I wonder if making them is a go-er?
I think mine was 4.7 when you checked it last year Nick. I would like to get it up to 5.5ish with the new exhaust on now. Roughly what is the pressure increase per mm shim?

If you could measure a shim for me Nick that would be great. I can make them on the lathe with a piece of stainless bar, turn it to the required diameter, drill it out then slice them off.
Dan1986 Wrote:I think mine was 4.7 when you checked it last year Nick. I would like to get it up to 5.5ish with the new exhaust on now. Roughly what is the pressure increase per mm shim?

If you could measure a shim for me Nick that would be great. I can make them on the lathe with a piece of stainless bar, turn it to the required diameter, drill it out then slice them off.

When I did a plot it was roughly 0.1mm shim = 0.06 bar.
1 shim = 0.6 bar

NickT
Hi Nick, did you get change to measure the ID and OD of the shims?
Outside diameter 9mm
Inside diameter 5.5mm

Thickness - 1mm should be fine.

I was thinking of making/ getting some made from standard metric washers by drilling the centres out with a drill bit:

http://euler9.tripod.com/bolt-database/25.html
Metric Finished Flat Washer
JWPCF04
Internal Diameter 4.30
External Diameter 9.00
Thickness 0.80

Then drill the centre out to 5.5mm

Given the amount of work I have at the moment I don't think I will have time to get these, especially as I still need to sort my starter motor out.

NickT.

NickT
Cheers for that Nick. I'll try and get some made up for eurtoec. Also can I book your services with the pressure tester? Beer will be available :wink:
Gee Dan! ...just how shallow do you think the man is bribing him with lots of Beer ??

LOL Smile Smile Smile

(Stainless steel washers ??)
bozzzydmc Wrote:Gee Dan! ...just how shallow do you think the man is bribing him with lots of Beer ??

LOL Smile Smile Smile

(Stainless steel washers ??)

I will do (almost) anything for beer ! Big Grin

If you can get them in stainless that would be better.

NickT.
Of course they will be stainless :wink: Nothing else will do.
Dan

If you can get the washers made, JRG wants to do the same check with his fuel pressure as well, if we enough washers then we could set our pressures right before Eurotec, provided someone will let us borrow their tester!

I know how many washers I need to get mine roughly right

Al