Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Importing Rate of Duty
All,

The rules for importing cars have changed slightly now we're in the new tax year.

In the past, saying that a car was manufactured within the UK was good enough - and you'd get the 10% duty rate knocked down from 10% to a £50 admin fee.

Now - C&E require documented proof...in either of the following forms:

1) A letter from the manufacturer (DMC) stating that the car was made in GB. I think this might be a little hard to arrange!

or (more feasible)

2) A letter from a bona fide owners club, stating that the car was made in GB in a given year (signed by club rep on headed paper).

So...the moral of the story is...

1) You can still save the 10% duty - if you get a letter ahead of time from the DOC secretary.
2) You have to keep the DOC secretary sweet and buy him beer.

So....Chris W....can I have a letter for Pilot 19 please?! Will call you later....

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Lager being the beer of choice (probably not to you proper beer drinkers :lol: )

Anyone who wants a letter just has to ask, if you can supply as much detail as possible (VIN/Build date/Etc) it will help

Best Wishes
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Yes, when I put my car through the system in February I had to provide C&E with a letter from Chris W which he very kindly helped me with. However I'm pretty sure I never got charged the £50 admin fee... Big Grin

Chris N said Pilot 19 was imminent when I saw him the other day - how soon are you picking it up Darren? And will we get to see pics? Mr Green
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Hi Gez,

P19 is sitting in a warehouse at Chatham docks whilst we 'negotiate' over a few thousand pounds worth of import duty. Should get resolved this week - for collection next week. Then we just need to find a space for it.

Will post pictures on here - and probably a few short videos on Youtube.

Unlikely we'll be able to spend any real time restoring it for a while - as too many customer cars to complete first. P19 hasn't been driven for more than a couple of miles since 1980 - so who knows what work that'll need!

Best regards

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Chris Williams Wrote:Lager being the beer of choice (probably not to you proper beer drinkers :lol: )
Best Wishes
Chris

Shock Shock Shock Call yourself a Yorkshireman!!!! pah!! Shock Shock Shock

Goodness knows what NickT would have to say on matter!! :lol:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:All,

The rules for importing cars have changed slightly now we're in the new tax year.

In the past, saying that a car was manufactured within the UK was good enough - and you'd get the 10% duty rate knocked down from 10% to a £50 admin fee.

Now - C&E require documented proof...in either of the following forms:

1) A letter from the manufacturer (DMC) stating that the car was made in GB. I think this might be a little hard to arrange!

or (more feasible)

2) A letter from a bona fide owners club, stating that the car was made in GB in a given year (signed by club rep on headed paper).

So...the moral of the story is...

1) You can still save the 10% duty - if you get a letter ahead of time from the DOC secretary.
2) You have to keep the DOC secretary sweet and buy him beer.

So....Chris W....can I have a letter for Pilot 19 please?! Will call you later....

Darren
Well,for a start, Here is the Letter Head from the manufacturer. :lol: :lol:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/ ... g002-1.jpg
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

[Image: DSC_0112-1.jpg]
Live the Dream today, Because I did it yesterday.
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:Hi Gez,

P19 is sitting in a warehouse at Chatham docks whilst we 'negotiate' over a few thousand pounds worth of import duty. Should get resolved this week - for collection next week. Then we just need to find a space for it.

Will post pictures on here - and probably a few short videos on Youtube.

Unlikely we'll be able to spend any real time restoring it for a while - as too many customer cars to complete first. P19 hasn't been driven for more than a couple of miles since 1980 - so who knows what work that'll need!

Best regards

Darren

Yes, I know Chris was working late last night to try and create space in the workshop for P19! I'm afraid my car was the latest addition to clog it up Big Grin

Hopefully you can get it cleared through customs and get your hands on it soon. How much of an unknown quantity is it? Do you know exactly what condition it's in etc?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Claire Usher Wrote:
Chris Williams Wrote:Lager being the beer of choice (probably not to you proper beer drinkers :lol: )
Best Wishes
Chris

Shock Shock Shock Call yourself a Yorkshireman!!!! pah!! Shock Shock Shock

Goodness knows what NickT would have to say on matter!! :lol:

He has lost his northern ways..........

Cure is to drink vast quantities of "Old Theakstons" and "Black Sheep" bitter.

I am sure it will be 1 bottle of whisky per letter (single malt!)

NickT.
Quick post to say thanks to Chris Williams for writing me up a quick letter confirming that Pilot 19 was manufactured within GB.
After a bit more haggling with the tax people - the letter got £3k knocked off the import bill!

Thanks Chris - that one letter alone is worth 120 years of DOC membership alone!!!

For anyone else out there importing a Delorean (or planning to soon) you really MUST sign up as a DOC member. The fact that the club will write you a formal letter for customs and quote that you are a DOC member will save you thousands.

Thanks again....some Eurotec beers/lagers are definately in order.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk