Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Calipers (brakes pulling to left again)
Hi All,

despite having refurbished calipers that have done approx 8,000 miles, Flopsy is now pulling very badly to the left again under braking Sad

I chatted to Phill and Rich about it on Sunday night, and first plan of attack will be to thoroughly bleed the system and make sure there is no air in the system.

However.......I got thinking...... Idea

We all know the pads are Ford Cortina MkV, so surely the calipers on the front are the same :?:

My calipers were only £39.50 (+£10 Surcharge) from a little motor factors in Belper for the Cavalier - so one would think that they would be a similar price for a Cortina?

Anyone got any advice/thoughts on this?

Claire
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I'm only 16 and havent a clue, could you ask a Ford dealershsip?
Alexander Adams
Hull, East Yorkshire
DOC member - 389
Reg of first D experience - HEC 6T
Have a look at your existing calipers to see if you haven't got a stuck pad in there first then look at the caliper itself. It may just be a stick piston.
Also double check that you haven't got a collapsed brake hose too.

NickT.
Forgot to add, use a dial gauge to check that your front discs haven't warped. Total run out at the edge should be <0.1 mm
Check that the wheel bearing nut is not loose. I can't remember the torque setting >150 ft lbs I think. I used air compressor and impact gun on it until it just didn't turn any more.

NickT.
As above ^^^^^^

I had this issue with the rubber brake hose on one side being weak and expanding sideways under pressure therefore not giving equal braking to both sides.

Resolution was braided hose...... sorted...

As for the cortina calipers you could be onto somthing there because there are other cortina parts on the car... Can't remember but to the calipers have a part number cast into them????

Paul
Yes calipers are cortina.... thought that was pretty common knowledge...

Pulling to one side being caused by the calipers is unlikely if they're not that old.

We gave up trying to "solve" braking problems long ago and simply recommend new calipers, stainless hoses and a brake m/c all round. Many might think this is overkill but it cover all possible bases. ANYWAY, the biggest cause of pulling under braking is anti-roll bar bushes. Check the donut type ones that go through the lower arm are in good nick and done up properly. Check also the condition of the ones on the roll bar mounts. It's the roll bar that stops the lower control arm disappearing under the car when you brake, so those rubbers are critical. And again, we usually recommend replacing them all - they at least aren't expensive.

Oh, but check your tyre pressures before anything else.....
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
cheers for all the responses guys! Big Grin

My main reason for thinking the calipers could be at fault, was because she used to pull to the left under braking, but changing the calipers stopped it, however its now happening again.

I have got some braided hoses to go on the car (one of those 'when I get around to it jobs...) so whilst I'm doing the brakes I might as well tackle fitting those too (help!! Sad ) I know my master cylinder is ok.

The braking efficiency of the car is still nob on, she just has a tendancy now to try and nosedive in to the nearest hedge in the process Shock

From experience of working for and dealing with Franchised Main Dealers for over 10 years, Cortina caliper(s) will be easier to get and cheaper from a motor factors then my local Ford Dealer - I can visualise the spotty little oik on the counter going "whats a Cortina....." :roll:

I've got so many jobs that I need and want to do on my fleet, its just a shame that work gets in the way of achieving them Sad
Yeah, work does sort of get in the way of most things doesn't it. Sad
Yeh...tell me about it...still at least my radiator is back on now after 3 weeks of sitting there laughing at me every time i got home.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Cortina-type ... dZViewItem

Any good?
Alexander Adams
Hull, East Yorkshire
DOC member - 389
Reg of first D experience - HEC 6T
Another "I would say this but..." seal kits are easy to get but when professionally rebuilt and very spangly-looking calipers aren't all that expensive............
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Claire Usher Wrote:I can visualise the spotty little oik on the counter going "whats a Cortina....." :roll:

Im one of them now - but i still know what a Cortina is :lol:
Dave S
DOC #479
Wiltshire
davesandell Wrote:
Claire Usher Wrote:I can visualise the spotty little oik on the counter going "whats a Cortina....." :roll:

Im one of them now - but i still know what a Cortina is :lol:

:lol: who do you work for matey? I'm at one of the Mercedes outlets in Derby, but luckilly its one of those 'family owned since the year dot' dealerships were all the staff have been there for ages so know what they are doing Smile

Anyway, best crack on, I'm on a day off today and need to be on the road in half hour :!:
I just work for a small local motor factors - owned by the same people since the year dot, and a small group of regular customers.
Dave S
DOC #479
Wiltshire
davesandell Wrote:I just work for a small local motor factors - owned by the same people since the year dot, and a small group of regular customers.

cool, so you fall into the "we know what we're talking about" catagory Big Grin