Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheerfull morning
Thanks to the current economic situation, this morning I have been made redundant from my job in engineering. I am now at home working on a CV with a stripped down Delorean as my only car Sad Its a bit of a worrying situation really. Its surprising how quickly this has all kicked off, and looking on job websites there doesn't seem to be much out there, and certainly not much money :?

At least while I'm off I will have some time to get the D finished off I suppose :roll:
VIN: 6511
Hi Dan

Well that is a bit of a shi$$er mate, have you been given any notice period?

I am sure with your skills something will turn up fairly soon, but maybe not straight away.

Al
Dan1986 Wrote:Thanks to the current economic situation, this morning I have been made redundant from my job in engineering. I am now at home working on a CV with a stripped down Delorean as my only car Sad Its a bit of a worrying situation really. Its surprising how quickly this has all kicked off, and looking on job websites there doesn't seem to be much out there, and certainly not much money :?

At least while I'm off I will have some time to get the D finished off I suppose :roll:

Use the time as much as you can !

For engineering try registering on :

http://www.jobsite.co.uk

If you have some spare cash at least you will be able to finish the car off for July.

Mind you, it might be worthwhile taking a slight drop in salary as for some reason it is easier to get a job when you have a job !

Good luck,

NickT
Thanks for the link Nick, theres a few interesting jobs on there.

As for notice period, my job is redundant from 1st April but I've been sent home straight away. I've not been there long enough for redundancy pay either :roll:
VIN: 6511
Dan.

Sorry to hear your news. I got made redundant at the end of 2001, after the September attacks when World events cancelled some of the IT contracts the company I was working with had.

Whilst I was treated very fairly, I was told 'off record' that they were releasing the cheaper people, i.e. those who had the shortest time served, making the payoffs the smallest.

In the current climate, I suspect somethng similar is going on and you need to try and remember it is no reflection on you personally.

John C
DOC 19/19a : 'Boeing' #0737
JohnC Wrote:................

Whilst I was treated very fairly, I was told 'off record' that they were releasing the cheaper people, i.e. those who had the shortest time served, making the payoffs the smallest.

That's the trouble. With old "established" companies they don't get rid of the useless people who happen to have been there for years, they get rid of the people that haven't been there as long but may be more skilled !

Great. :roll:

Nick.
They only look at the short term 'gains' ie someone who has been there years will cost them far more in redundancy than someone who has only been around a year or so. Then if and when things pick up they have to spend far more money searching for the right person.

Its all ruled by accountants, why pay out several thousand when you can do it for free
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
The good thing is Dan that if the company wants to re'employ someone later for the same job within two years they have got to offer it to you first.If they don't change the job title if you look into it you do still have rights if the company is still running.The Law works mainly for the employee rather than the employer i would go to the CAB just to find out if you are entitiled to anything and if you need to take them to court you will get legal aid cuz you are unemployed.
hope you are well talk soon
Tyson.
hana 5284 Wrote:The good thing is Dan that if the company wants to re'employ someone later for the same job within two years they have got to offer it to you first.If they don't change the job title if you look into it you do still have rights if the company is still running.The Law works mainly for the employee rather than the employer i would go to the CAB just to find out if you are entitiled to anything and if you need to take them to court you will get legal aid cuz you are unemployed.
hope you are well talk soon
Tyson.

Sorry to hear the bad news Dan - I know what it's like, and I went home from Caley Hall in October to Redundancy.

Fortunately I got something within 4 weeks, but it's not like my last job. I wish I could say I was happy.

Actually Tyson, 2 years is wrong. It's 6 months for re-employing a previous employee. After that has elapsed, they can employ a replacement, and theres naff all you can do about it.

Sometimes these things happen for the best.

I was lucky, and had 8 weeks notice, and 9 years redundancy.

But yes, jobs are scarce out there now, and Dan, I wish you all the luck in the next few weeks. Have a go at anything if I were you, regardless of your trade.......

Good luck mate, and catch up with you soon.

Ben
Christ Dan,

Sorry to hear that matey.

If it's any consolation I was made redundant in 2001 (medical discharge from the Royal Navy, damaged lungs from inhaling smoke and chemicals in the Gulf War in 91, from the scar tissue since then) All I got was a nice medal, and a war pension to kick in at 55! :roll:
Got made redundant again in 2003 when the company I worked for went bust...they still owe me £3K :evil:
Then again in October last year when they closed my office and "downsized" the business. :evil: :evil:

Just remember that good skills are hard to find. Employers aren't stupid, they'll recognise your potential and I think you'll manage to find something soon. Pity you don't live closer, I could put you on to a few friends of mine.

Good luck Dan. I do know how your feeling mate, I've been through the mill 3 times now.

PM me if you need any advice.

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
just to echo whats been said, keep your chin up Dan, summat will turn up and I'm sure you'll
be ok.

Make sure you register at the jobcentre - I know it is a demoralising place to go, but you need
to for tax reasons, especially if you've been on a good salary and paying lots of tax. Also,
IIRC from when I was last out of work in 2005, they take over your National Insurance Contributions.

You'll be entitled to income based JSA, its only about £60pw, but its better then nowt, plus
you get free prescriptions and other stuff whilst your signed on.

Claim what you can mate, you'll have paid your taxes, so its YOUR money!!

Good luck for the future!!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Dan,
Sorry to hear That, And to everyone else, who have lost their job over the last year or so.

Jobs are going much Quicker today, than back in the 80's

I echo what Claire and Nick T and everyone else Said.

Good luck.
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

[Image: DSC_0112-1.jpg]
Live the Dream today, Because I did it yesterday.