Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing Starter Motor
Hi all,

I'm going to whip out the starter motor on the D this afternoon so that I can get the
passenger manifold off ready for the new exhaust.

I haven't had a look at the starter yet, so it may be self explanatory, but before I
head over to my folks house (where the car is) I thought I would just check to see
if there are there any tricks/tips to removing/reinstalling the starter.

Any advice appreciated.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
The manifold can come off with the starter motor in place.
VIN: 6511
Dan1986 Wrote:The manifold can come off with the starter motor in place.

...tis much easier to take it off thou... only three bolts on the rear and a few wires to disconnect.... and its a good time to check the starter over and clean it up etc....
Fair enough. Remember I'm looking at mine with the body off so have plenty of room even with the starter in place.

On the subject of these exhausts, what did you do to protect the wiring from the new manifold?
VIN: 6511
Disconnect the battery to prevent a short circuit on the wiring.

Jack the car up, chocl the wheels and put on axle stands at least for clearance, or use a pit or 2/4 post lift.

Good luck,

NickT
Oh and remove the oil filter too...

[Image: DSC01918640x480.jpg?t=1237309811]
bozzzydmc Wrote:Oh and remove the oil filter too...

[Image: DSC01918640x480.jpg?t=1237309811]

Ahh memories Big Grin that was a good play day Big Grin

NickT
On the subject of the wiring ... my Special T auto alternator came with some grey heat resistant tubing to go ove the wiring on the back of the alternator... there was enough slack to pull the rest of the wiring loom well out of the way of the manifolds on my car .... just make sure all your wiring ig pulled out of the way..

[Image: DSC01924640x480.jpg?t=1237310092]
Indeedy it was and sunny too !!
Thanks for the info,

I only spent about 20mins on the DeLorean today as I got roped into felling some trees in my folks garden.
Anyway I managed to get the crossover pipe off in 1 peice, thanks for whoever recomended removing the drivers side drive shaft, it made removal a peice of cake.

I think I will take the starter motor out as it will give me slightly better access to the manifold studs.

Hoping to pick up the new exhaust on Friday and I have next week off to fit it and do some other maintenance.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
JamesRGUK Wrote:...............Anyway I managed to get the crossover pipe off in 1 peice, thanks for whoever recomended removing the drivers side drive shaft, it made removal a peice of cake...........
J

:wink:

NickT