Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sidelights wired wrong?
Ok first major issue ive got which needs sorting quickly, is when i put my sidelights on (first time i press the headlight button) the front indicators come on and stay on, but the sidelights dont...

when i press the button again the normal lights come on as they should.

also when i indicate the side running lights dont flash so im guessing thats not been set up.

Anyways any ideas about the sidelights? as i have no idea where to look or what at, lol.

Thanks
DOC 527
Vin #10264
it was originally wired so that your front amber (i.e. the lights that face front) light up when you press the button for side lights. lights on the front fenders and rear quarters *might* also light up.

are you saying you don't get and white lights comming on on the front of the car when you press the button for side lights? you should have, as you've already gathered.

it's up to you either it's not been wired to have white light side lights (should have for MOT) or the bulb(s) have gone or there's a wiring fault.

pull one of your head lamps to see what the wiring is like behind them. if a white side light has been added to either lens, there should be a second connector somewhere on the lens.
yeah there's no White light at all for the sidelights! Which lights should I be checking? The inner or outer ones?
DOC 527
Vin #10264
either. I have mine on the outers some are built into the inners (because this i an after market modification people do it's up to the owners to do/commision the work). you might want to check with the previous owner/seller to see what the crack is with regards to the lamps before you take a screwdriver to it Smile

someone else might chime in if I'm talking out of my arse. :oops: Tongue

you should definitely have white lights on the front. :!:
It sounds like its all standard and the previous owner had a friendly mot tester.

You should find that the front yellow lights will get brighter when you use them as indicators.

The side markers don't have to be wired as indicators by law on a car of that age, but people do anyway because it could be useful.
VIN: 6511
the font indicators are double element like stop and tail there was an item on the doc webside how to do them but i dont know if its still there cheers tt
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
well I've noticed that the 2 outer lights have an extra bulb in each. So either the 2 bulbs have gone or they have been disconnected
DOC 527
Vin #10264
when i wired mine up i took power from the front fender side lights wire that ran through behind the headlights.

have you pulled the lamps yet? Smile
How do I get them off lol. I've tried a few screws. Some which seem to be the adjuster but I can't see how to get it off
DOC 527
Vin #10264
you see the aluminium bracket that surrounds the lights? there are four screws on each side of each lamp you need to unscrew each. sounds scary, but you need to bend the facia up to get to the top one and to the side to get to the side one (mask off the facia so you don't damage it (as i did) with the screw driver). it takes a bit of jiggling, but you can get them out no problem.
ok thanks, will give it a whirl next time im round me folks
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Let's hope it is all standard and no one has used scotch-locks to wire them in.

My front yellow side lamps are wired to work like indicaters on modern cars ie they only flash when they signalling to turn. This way it won't confuse MOT testers either.

Good luck

NickT.
Finally got the light off at the weekend. well its got a connector but no wires hanging about, so someone unded it at some point, so what i need to know is the best way to get behind the yellow lights and which wire to splice from

[Image: img0080j.jpg]
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Hi Mike have you pulled off the front slatted grille, the headlight wiring runs behind there too ... it just tugs off buddy...
not checked behind there, anything thats needs to be out of the way before pulling it off?
DOC 527
Vin #10264