Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding aftermarket stereo head unit
I've searched the forums but can't really find much information about replacing the stock Craig unit with something newer. Apparently the stock unit is kaput in 7176 so this decision is made for me...

Will any modern stereo simply plug in to the D? Are there any issues with size/connectivity/speaker wires?

Also, how easy is it to get rid of the stock speakers and update those too?

Cheers!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I have found that the stock speakers are perfectly good. As long as they aren't broken. I turned the rears off on the headunit because I prefer to keep the sound at the front. The standard front speakers are small so I turned the bass down on them and put a separate small sub in the back. I have found this sounds really good.

As for wiring, basically my car has the standard Delorean plug removed and replaced with the Alpine connector to go straight into my unit (NOT crimped on and NO scotchlocks!) However you can probably find an adapter lead to convert the Delorean plug into a standard plug, then another adapter to convert that into your headunit probably!! I don't know what the Delorean plug cross references to though as I doubt halfords sell them as Delorean adapters :wink:

If your front speakers are shot, then you can replace these by laying in the footwells and reaching up under the dash to unscrew them.

The rears you have to cut the quaterpannel molding where it goes under the door seal and pull it all out to get access, and in my opinion the rears are a bit pointless as they face each other and are behind the occupants of the vehicle so I would leave them wired to keep it original but just turn them off on the headunit.
VIN: 6511
Good advice Dan - thanks!

Where have you put your sub? I've seen people mount speakers into the back of the luggage area but I'd rather not do this if possible...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
My sub sits on the rear shelf and can be unplugged if the space is needed. Its only a 10 inch one, not like Tourettes' essex-boyracer one :lol:

You will need one of these to put a standard sized unit in:

http://www.delorean.com/store/p-7793-fac...radio.aspx

Or modify the standard one Big Grin
I take it you modified the standard one then - what's involved?!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I didn't modify mine, a previous owner did. You just have to cut the rectangle shape out as the standard craig is different. A job for a dremmel cutting disc or a drill and junior hacksaw :wink:

Also while your in there I would change the bulbs for LEDs. Houston also sell blue and red leds to fit inside the headlight and hazzard switch which I also fitted.
Cool - I'll see whether Chris/Darren can molest the existing panel more easily than $150+shipping+VAT! LEDs are a good idea too...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Those original radio surrounds are getting harder to find now as more and more of them are being cut up to fit a DIN size stereo.

Maybe you can do a swap with someone who is restoring their car to original spec?

Best wishes,

Phil
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Dan1986 Wrote:I didn't modify mine, a previous owner did. You just have to cut the rectangle shape out as the standard craig is different. A job for a dremmel cutting disc or a drill and junior hacksaw :wink:

Also while your in there I would change the bulbs for LEDs. Houston also sell blue and red leds to fit inside the headlight and hazzard switch which I also fitted.

Don't butcher your centre console Shock Shock

You can buy a ready made backing plate from DMCH with a DIN hole. Just un bolt your old one and keep it safe, then bolt new one in it's place. Big Grin

As Phil said, the original un molested panels are getting rare now. Cry

Good Luck
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Don't you have to run seperate wires to each speaker if you are fitting an aftermarket set? I'm sure the original DeLorean loom shares an earth for the left front/rear and right front/rear respectively (IE only six speaker wires instead of eight )

Trying to configure a head unit to work properly without running a new wire to each speaker could damage the amp in the head unit...... Remember the old joystick faders in the old XR3i's? They had a similar system, and if you plugged a new head unit straight into the ISO connector (if it had one), it would only take a feed off the 2 front channels of the head unit amplifier, then it would split the signal between 4 speakers.......

I'm sure the craig head unit was geared up for this setup, but seeing as most modern sets are high powered mosfet amps, the joining 2 of the earths together could kill the set.

Just my 2p

Smile
Oh your right Ben I forgot that. But the wiring is there for each speaker but it joins up where it goes into the Delorean plug. So you will have no option but to do what I've done and chop the connector off a replace it with a modern one.
If you do need to rewire it, you might as well wire it to a standard ISO connector.

Yes you have to run new speaker cables to the speakers as the original stereo used earth returns as the other connection. On a new stereo this will cause a short.

NickT

ps NO SCOTCHLOCKS !!!!!!!!!!!
Good advice guys, thanks!

So does anybody want to swap an original dash plate with a DIN sized one? Available mid Jan Big Grin
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Hi there,

I finnaly dug out the original delorean connector that was cut off my car.

You can see where the speaker earth is shared but it divides into 2 as you can see, so as long as you cut your old connector off before the earths join, and fit your ISO connector there you won't need to replace all your speaker wiring.

[Image: speakers.jpg]
[Image: radiodelo.jpg]