Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing Question
Hi to all DOC members.

I have a question for those who have imported a car from the US, that I was hoping you may be able to help me with.

I’m originally from NI, presently living in the US. I’ve always wanted a D (like you also) and I finally got the opportunity to get one. I plan to bring it back with me to the UK when I return. However, and here’s the potential problem, I do not have an official Title for the car (in my name anyway), and am wondering if this will be a problem. Let me explain:

I do have the original title to the car from 1981. The original owner sold it to a car dealer and both the original owner and the dealer signed the back of the title (to transfer ownership, as is required over here). The dealer then sold it to the 2nd owner (AJ) in 1997 who should have taken the signed title form and had a new title issued in his name, but for some reason he didn’t. I do, however, have the Bill of Sale from that transaction. AJ sold it to the third owner, CC, only 7 months after AJ purchased it (in 1998). I have the Bill of sale from that transaction too. CC was unable to get a title because AJ had never titled it, but he was able to register it in his name, and tax, insure and drive it for 10 years. I purchased it from CC in 2008. I have a Bill of Sale from that transaction, obviously, but again I can’t get a title, because CC couldn’t get one, because AJ didn’t get one.

In summary, I have the original Title as well as a documented exchange of ownership. I am the registered owner of the car, and got it licenced and taxed through the state using the above paperwork, without a problem. I can sell it to another person here and pass ownership simply by providing a Bill-of –Sale and I have in fact done this with a different car. ( In the states, ownership of the car and possession of the Title seem to be two different things). There are no liens or loans on the car.

My concern is that I have read that one needs a Title to import a car to the UK (or is it to export one from the US?). Will an established paper trail as outlined above be sufficient?

thanks for reading all this Smile

Dermot
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Hi Dermot and welcome Smile

The short answer is no....

You will need a title in your name to import this into the UK... is this not possible to apply for one whilst your over there ??

see: http://pjgrady.co.uk//GenericContent.as ... ports.html

Regards

Mike
Hi Dermot, welcome to the forum.

I have a question, why are you moving back to the UK? :wink:
VIN: 6511
Dan1986 Wrote:Hi Dermot, welcome to the forum.

He must miss the glorious non stop rain we get over here............

NickT
..and the endless days of sunshine .....
and all the horny women lol TT X
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tourettes Tony Wrote:and all the horny women lol TT X

LOL....TT you should move to Yorkshire buddy Smile
bozzzydmc Wrote:Hi Dermot and welcome Smile

The short answer is no....

You will need a title in your name to import this into the UK... is this not possible to apply for one whilst your over there ??

see: http://pjgrady.co.uk//GenericContent.as ... ports.html

Regards

Mike

Great link, Mike, thanks.

The problem is that the 2nd owner (who I have christened AJ) did not get the title transferred into his name back in '98. The lady at the DMV recommended that the most efficient way to do this now, is to have AJ, CC and myself appear together at the DMV headquarters and have a document signing session. (the alternative would be to send AJ the original title and have him put it in his name and then send the new title back to me. Of course AJ, whom I have never met) would then be the legal owner of the car, so I'm sure you can see where that could end up.

Through the wonderful world of the internet, I think I was able to track down said AJ, and he seems to have left a succession of multi-million $ lawsuits behind him as he moves from state to state. He's now in one of the NE states, and I just can't see him flying down here just to do me a favor.

So that option just isn't going to happen, unfortunately. I am encouraged by PJ Grady article, that said it is possible, though tricky, to do it without an official title (or at least a recent one in my name)

I guess what I have is the equivalent of the cars original V5 but without all the intermediate owners typed in!!
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Dan1986 Wrote:Hi Dermot, welcome to the forum.

I have the desperate need to pay $10/gal while piloting a LHD car in the driving rain Big Grin You miss it after a while........

No, it's more like education options for my kids. And we've been here a few years now.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Hi Dermot,

I believe that you'll be OK importing the car to the UK with the original title. It doesn't need to be signed over to you, as it would be pointless registering your name on he DMV database only to export the car. Similarly for UK residents, exporting a car from the US, we wouldn't be registered owners on the DMV either.

All you need is a title (which you have) and a bill of sale from the previous owner. Ideally, the name on the title should be the person that's sold you the car....

Like all of these things - it's subjective by the port authorities - check with your preferred shipping company about what documents they need before you commit to buy.

Also - I'm not sure if you're a UK or US citizen - the rules for vehicle registration may be slightly different (in terms of DMV registration)...

Thanks

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Darren,

thanks for the advice.

I am a UK citizen, so that should make it easier.

I actually bought the car last month, as it was too good a deal to pass up on, with the intention of driving it here for a year or two, depending on job location etc. However, upon discovering the DOC-UK forum (and the DOI one) I realised that quite a few D's had been repatriated, which got me thinking about doing the same.

In the meantime, I will live vicariously through the forum, in the hope of officially joining the DOC-UK someday.

Dermot
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Hi Dermot,

Welcome to the forum. I think as a UK citizen living outside the EU, if you can prove you've owned the car for more than 6 months (bill of sale) you pay less tax when you import the car.
At least this was the case a few years ago when I was living and working in Kenya, and was considering bringing a car back to the UK.

Might be worth checking out.

Good luck

Kind regards
Darren
VIN 4532

DOC-574