Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean Blog
Hi, not been on for a while. Can't seem to see all the sections on the forum I used to be able to, so I'll post this here.
I just found this blog http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/ which had a few posts in May which I found particularly interesting.
Has anyone ever had a problem with an RPM Relay?

D
Funny you should say that. My original RPM relay used to prime the pump on the second turn of the key. When it failed I replaced the timing chip within the relay. With no success I acquired a replacement RPM relay (from DMCH) and then another from Bozzy (Volvo one I think as it was/is green) and although both work neither prime the pump on the second turn of the key. Alistair V confirmed that if you turn the key to four and then back to two it primes before you then turn to five? that actually starts the engine. I wonder what was so special about my original RPM relay as to why/how it primed the fuel pump so nicely before actually starting the engine.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Hello fellow DeLorean friends across the pond.

I found some hits on my DeLorean related blog site, and traced it to here, great forum, glad to see the ownership pride and love for these cars here.

Glad you found the my blog interesting, I try to post one technical (with a "modern upgrade" theme) about once a month, would be an honor to have you folks pay a visit every now and then.

As for the Solid State RPM relay referenced (link is here: "The RPM Relay, a modern update"), I've been running this part for thousands of miles now and it is great (lower wattage, higher reliability). These relays get quite a workout, so coveriting it to solid state is a great and proven functional modern alternative. Funny story: I recently drove a 200 mile trip in my DeLorean and had trouble restarting (turned out to be a corroded fuse), another owner who came to assist thought it may have been my RPM relay, and since he didn't know about the solid state one was about to give it a whack on the side as that tended to get the contacts back in order. ...I stopped him and reminded him it was a solid state one, but it shows the extent of failures and fixes that we seeing with the OEM parts.

As for the different OEM ones, I had two orignally, a black case and green case Volvo one. The Volvo one would never prime upon with the ignition key to "on", the black one did. Apparently that's the way the Volvo ones work. (The solid state does prime like the black case ones.)

Thanks again, hope you find the information useful.
Wishing everyone many happy DeLorean miles and smiles.
Hello Ozzie

Nice to see your post and welcome !

Been reading your blog for quite sometime now and its been no end of help... keep it up Smile

Regards

Mike
Thanks, Mike!

...and because you folks are great, and you also make the best televised car show "......in the world" (Top Gear), here is a world exclusive for you all :wink: :

I've just posted the November Blog article, titled: "LEDs are Cool".
Be the first to check it out at:
http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... -cool.html

Hope you all, find it useful.

Regards.
Hi,

I didn't realize Top Gear was exported to the States?
VIN: 6511
Yup. Shown on our "Public Broadcasting Stations (PBS)", where many fine English shows are shown.

Some of my all time favorite TV shows are Top Gear (Clarkson series), Dr. Who (Hartnell through Tennant), Keeping Up Appearances, Fawlty Towers, and Monty Python, and I've seen them all here in the States.
I'm suprised Top Gear is shown. I didn't think some of Clarksons comments regarding america and american cars would go down too well :lol:
Dan1986 Wrote:I'm suprised Top Gear is shown. I didn't think some of Clarksons comments regarding america and american cars would go down too well :lol:

Who has he not offended ?:lol:
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

[Image: DSC_0112-1.jpg]
Live the Dream today, Because I did it yesterday.
Haha thats true :wink:
Aw shucks, Neal beat me to that same answer. :lol:
Happy New Year, to my fellow UK DeLorean owners and enthusiasts. Big Grin

Also wanted to let you all know that I've updated my tracking of eBay sales of DeLoreans in the US, for the last 26 months. I hope you find it useful.

Graph and tabular summary, are "here".

Summary:

Whereas we saw a generous double digit increase in average selling prices in 2007 from 2006 (+13%), 2008 to 2007 showed a very slight decrease (-2%). Considering the type of year 2008 was with respect to the economy (US and global), compared to stock porfolios and 401Ks performances in this same year, it really wasn't too bad of a drop. You will note above that the low end of cars sold, was also down (-7%) from the previous year, unlike a large rise (+23%) in 2007 compared to 2006.

This year was a buyers market for many item and not excluding DeLoreans, there were some beautiful looking cars that sold in the $17K-$20K range. However, whereas I have only tracked closed bids, it was very encouraging to see that at the end of 2008, there was some active bidding on 1981, 500 mile beauty (#3446) that went up as high as $28,889 - but did not meet the reserve price; as well as a $39,999 closed sale of a similar condition 1983 (#16558). That may be an indicator that top notch cars (low miles, concours type) are still holding a good value.

Let's hope for a turnaround in 2009, and not just a turnaround in car values.

Disclaimer: eBay sales do not define the DeLorean market, but it sure is an interesting indicator of trends.
Hello friends,

Just a quick note that I've updated the blog today with a sneak preview of an upcoming relay upgrade for our cars, that you may be interested in.
Also in the next few days, I'll post the Q1 update on Ebay sales.

Hope you all find the new content informative and interesting.
Best wishes from United States of Obama.

EDIT:

Just for clarrification, I am the Beta tester for Dave's products, and I run the blog site on my car's maintenance and upkeep.
If you wish to contact Dave directly about his products, his contact information is at the end of the blog posts that reviewed his product.
Review: Dome Light Module
Review: Solid State RPM Relay

...and if you are curious, I am not associated with Dave in any financial partnership nor benefit in any way other than being able to test out his products, to write independent reviews of them up on my blog, and to benefit from their use.

Thanks.
Hi Ozzie

Thanks for the post ... im looking forward to seeing these in production... as i would like one for the blinking doorlights feature alone Wink

Good blog yet again buddy

Regards

Mike
*** Momentary off topic discussion ***

Hey my UK friends, I seek a translation.

I've heard the term on Top Gear: "gaffer tape".
Is that what we call "duct tape" here in the States?
..and what is, what profession is, a "gaffer".

Been curious about that for a while.

*** Momentary off topic discussion ***