Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a new exhaust
I finally decided to tackle my exhaust leak and have decided that as I have the exhaust off I may as well replace it with a new system.

I have got the drivers manifold off and the cross over pipe and loosened all the nuts/studs on the passenger side.

The UK s/steel exhaust system seems to get a lot of praise, but I'm finding it hard to justify £1000 on this one part, are there any alternatives?
I was interested in John Hervery's set-up from the states, it seems about 1/2 of the price, even when you include the crap exchange rate and shipping vat etc...

I'm not so much in the hunt for more power but the original exhaust is tat! And I'd like something that sounds a little more aggressive.

I would be interested in some views from people who have changed their exhaust setups and what they think of them.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Only options I know of ( apart from fabricating yourself from scratch ) :-

UK Exhaust
http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/pictures.htm

Ed Uding Exhaust
http://www.delorean.eu/product_info.php ... 381fac6b3d

DMCH
http://www.delorean.com/store/p-10337-s ... grade.aspx

Special T Auto
http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/ ... lished.jpg

I can only speak for the UK System, pricey it may seem, but in comparison to other SS exhausts for other classic cars this is a very competitve price.

A well made, good fitting exhaust with a nice sound to it. The thing that swung it for me was it has been around for a good number of years now and tweeked for fitting, performance and sound.

Special T's headers look Ok i would just be worried about sourcing other bits like the silencers and the end result in looks and noise factor, you wouldnt want it to sound chavy after all that Sad

Regards

Mike
I only have experience with helping Mike fit his performance exhaust from:

http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/pictures.htm

and I have to say the fit and finish of it is superb.

Definately a 2 person job with lift/ pit.

Nick.
NickT Wrote:Definately a 2 person job with lift/ pit.

Nick.

Yes things are more fun with two Wink

Cheers again for the help ... I would still be there trying to get the cross over pipe out Wink
Does anyone have any opinion on whether the lovely stainless exhaust a) adds any power (to a de-catted car - does the more efficient manifold design have any effect)? and b) adds any value?

I would have thought a Delorean with one of these exhausts would be more desirable than one without, but does the £1k you invest go anywhere in terms of the residual value of the car?

Cheers all!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I would think that it has to add some more BHP, how much is open to debate, really you need to dyno the same car before and after. But it must help, a free flow exhaust using even headers has got to be better than the old system where one bank of gases has to travell around the engine before leaving the car! I would buy the one that Mike fitted if I had £1k spare!
As to if you get your investment back? probably not but may make the car easier to sell if you wanted to! Just my 2p
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I agree Chris... Its a nice addition, sounds good and imo adds 20 - 30 BHP.. but Im never going to get that £1200 back if i ever sold my car ....

I will get the car dyno'd one day soon... be nice to see some proper figures for this exhaust.
From my experience, the UK SS Exhaust does decrease the low end torque due to the extremely low back pressure as compared to the OEM one.

But it does makes the range from 1500rpm above much more "powerful", I am saying this with a set of timed accelerations using my digital speedometer.

My comment is... if you can afford it, it's a system worth getting!! (though it does skin your wallet quite a bit!)
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Outatime Wrote:From my experience, the UK SS Exhaust does decrease the low end torque due to the extremely low back pressure as compared to the OEM one.

But it does makes the range from 1500rpm above much more "powerful", I am saying this with a set of timed accelerations using my digital speedometer.

My comment is... if you can afford it, it's a system worth getting!! (though it does skin your wallet quite a bit!)

I have heard from a few people that the low end torque suffers a little as a result of the low back pressure, but the overall effect seems positive.

I think I'll carry on saving and see if a deal can be struck as I know 2 other people who are also interested, maybe a big dollop of cash and and order for 3 systems would allow me to negotiate a discount especially in the current economic climate.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Hi James. Let us know if you get a good discount, becuase I might be interested in one if the price is low enough. Cheers, Dan
VIN: 6511
Dan1986 Wrote:Hi James. Let us know if you get a good discount, becuase I might be interested in one if the price is low enough. Cheers, Dan
well I think if a few of us club together and offer a wedge of cash then we should be able to negotiata good discount, I can appreciate that these fabrications are time consuning, but I think if we could get 4 or 5 of us together we should be able to negotiate a substancial discount.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
You will have to ask Mike re low down torque as his system pressure was 5.3 bar (upper setting figure). We then re-set fuelling to stock figures apart from duty cycle of lambda computer to near 50%. I put some info on this in:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2472
(my car)

You might not get your money back if you sold the car, but the bling value is priceles Smile
(sounds like a Mastercard advert !!!)

NickT

JamesRGUK Wrote:
Outatime Wrote:From my experience, the UK SS Exhaust does decrease the low end torque due to the extremely low back pressure as compared to the OEM one.

I have heard from a few people that the low end torque suffers a little as a result of the low back pressure, but the overall effect seems positive.

I think I'll carry on saving and see if a deal can be struck as I know 2 other people who are also interested, maybe a big dollop of cash and and order for 3 systems would allow me to negotiate a discount especially in the current economic climate.

J
Eh up Nick Wink

Its quite an eye opener using a fuel test pressure kit to see the differences in operating pressures on various cars, I know on my own it had a new OEM metering head fitted in 2002, which could account for the system pressure on it being at the 'top' end of the range at 5.3 Bar (4.9 - 5.5 Bar is the book primary pressure range I believe) I think we came to the conclusion that the spring that controls the pressure, over time, weakens causing the pressure to drop.

I remember from your car, even though the primary pressure was above 5 bar origionally, the increase in fuel pressure to 5.4 Bar by reshiming made a noticable difference in how the car ran especially after resetting fuelling to stock figures apart from duty cycle of lambda computer to nearer 50%.

Low down torque, as well as the top end is a noticable improvement..but I cant remember the exact words you used when we took it out for a test drive Wink Smile

All good fun eh.
Big Grin
Hi Guys,

I did approach the company in regard to a multiple discount.

The words barrel and over spring to mind.

I was under the impression that he would not accept a discount on these, however that was a few months ago and things have got worse, so I we spent to him and smacked down say 5k cash infront of him, I'm sure he will do something.

James, I;m interested so eep me updated. Only need the exhaust and gaskets, no studs.

Cheers

Richard
Richard Milliken
DOC 417
Vin #10163.

Kevin Milliken

[Image: Signa-1.jpg]