Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering column
As punishment for breaking down yesterday I have taken my car apart. For a while there's been a tiny tiny knock on the steering column which I thought was the bush. So today I stripped the steering column out only to find the bushing is fine, but the play is actually coming from here:

[Image: steering.jpg]

The play is extremely small, just enough to feel it on the wheel occasionally. Am I just being fussy, or is there a fix for this? Those bushes don't seem to be available.
VIN: 6511
Dan.....

You are not alone, I have a very small amount of play in the column, and at first I thought it was something to do with the adustable part.

But no matter where the wheel is positioned, you get this play.

The bottom bushing has been done on my car under it's previous owner.

I don't think there's a top bush, or at least it doesn't look like it........ but thats where the play seems to be coming from.

Needless to say, it hasn't gotten any worse, neither has it been pulled up on an MOT........

I better keep my mouth shut though, as my MOT is tomorrow.

And when I went and collected the car today, it performed faultlessly.

Good luck with this, and your pump Dan.

Ben
Thanks Ben, I've just come in from garage with feelings for my D similar to tourettes tony :twisted: Anyway its fixed, all I did was to very gently squeeze the metal tube in onto the bushing so it clamps it hard and can't wobble about. Just greased up the end and been putting collumn back in. What a bastard!!! Nearly done though, then to fit my new speedo cable while the binnacle is off. Fuel pump on order Ben, should be running again in the week.

Ooooo ekk Shock :
[Image: stripped.jpg]
Did tony have probs on the way home too?

Good to hear its getting sorted fast Smile
No Tony's car went fine. I was referring to his comments at the weekend about how much he hates his car. :lol:
The column is from a Rover SD1 so you might have some luck with classic Rover spares people like rimmer brothers.

Dan
Thanks for that info Dan. Its fine now though, but useful information for the future cheers Big Grin
Dan1986 Wrote:No Tony's car went fine. I was referring to his comments at the weekend about how much he hates his car. :lol:

its a love hate relationship with my car, and after all is said and done i still have it :wink: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
I think Dave Howarth has steering columns too. Phill got one for his car from Dave.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie