Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manifold Gaskets
Hi All,

I am about to embark on the renewal of my manifold gaskets which have been blowing for some time.

Whilst there is probably little benefit, I though I best spray a liberal amount of WD40 on the studs daily for a few days before I start the removal process, it can't do any harm.

I was interested to find that both the drivers side and passenger side manifolds only have 1 bolt holding on the manifolds at the rear most cylinders (near the firewall) I suspect that a previous owner changed the gaskets at some stage and these 2 studs where broken and not replaced.

Obviously this leaves me in a bit of a pickle, because if the studs are broken off in the holes, which I suspect they are, am I going to have to remove the engine to have these re-drilled/tapped. Or can the exhaust survive with only 1-stud? It has obviously lasted quite a few years before it started blowing but obviously the more studs the better.

Alternatively I could save up for a new exhaust which makes use of the other studs and so not need to remove the 2 broken ones, but these still seem a little pricy.

Interested in any suggestions/advice.

James RG
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
I may be wrong James, but I thought 1 stud was usual practice where studs have broken in the past.

There are blank holes opposite sides in the event of a breakage so you can use new bolts in these empty holes, and leave the snapped ones in there. Don't know if this was intentional......

If you have a snapped bolt in both holes, then I assume it's not no easy.......

Anyone please correct me if this isn't the case.

Ben
sounds like exactly the same problem that Flopsy had.

Her gaskets were blowing really badly (I know some on here have seen the video of the first
time Flopsy was started up after I got her), and so, what started off as a "simple" change the
manifold gaskets job became a bit more serious. Studs were snapped and also seized in the
heads. Martin tried to get them out with a stud extractor, which didnt work, so he then went
to plan B to try and drill them out, and ended up drilling into the water jacket Sad

Luckilly Darren Bowker had a matching pair of refurbished cylinder heads, which I bought off
of him and they are on the car now. Things like the timing chains were changed at the same
time.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Claire Usher Wrote:sounds like exactly the same problem that Flopsy had.
Her gaskets were blowing really badly (I know some on here have seen the video of the first
time Flopsy was started up after I got her), and so, what started off as a "simple" change the
manifold gaskets job became a bit more serious. Studs were snapped and also seized in the
heads.....

I may go for the single peice replacement gaskets, get the faces of the manifolds cleaned up and see if they will work with the stud missing, at worst I'll have to redo them in the future, but if it's all new hardware, properly greased up studs etc... it shouldn't be that much hassell 2nd time around.

Alternativly I look the look and price of John Hervy's single peice stainless steel mainfolds.

[Image: delorean-headers-polished.jpg]

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
you cange them out but its all a question of time and how much you have got, i had a snapped off stud in a car of mine and with a bit of patience you can get them out . Heat penetrating spray more heat, tap the stud more heat and so on, but then maybe new head gasgets and do studs at the same time.
Another way is to mig on the stud tip and try it that way TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor