Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TROUBLE GETING IN 2ND GEAR !???!!
Hi all

ive started to have trouble having selecting second gear, it doesnt crunch or make any noises it just doent go in until you get the revs to a certain point and it slicks in, anyone know what this could be, something simple ? or expensive !
any help is much appreciated !

mike
NTH347X Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395
DOC 639
could be the cable adjustment at the rear of the box, i had the same trouble with mine. Have a look underneath and check nothing has come undone TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Manual or Auto?
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
I cant get any gears at the moment Sad

And the battery is flat again........ :roll:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
its a manual box, ill have to check that cable, its gradually got worse so it could be that, any other ideas just incase its not ?

mike
NTH347X Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395
DOC 639
it must be that mate, mine was the same. you may find the lock nut has loosened TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Mine was allways bad to get in to second gear (manual) But changing the 'shift piviot bolt' and lieral application of anti-sieze worked a treat on it!
Whats up with Flopsy Claire?

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
yay, Rich fixed it!! Big Grin

We bled the clutch anyway although the gears had mysteriously come back all by themselves (these cars are weird!! lol). I compared my clutch to the one on Rich's car, and his pedal had alot more travel then mine. Discovered that the 'pin' that links the clutch pedal to the master cylinder wasnt seated correctly. Romac in Heanor very kindly gave me a couple of new circlips £FOC and Rich then fitted everything back properly whilst I got the barbeque going Big Grin

Gear change and clutch operation is now really nice, and a total transformation Big Grin
does anyone have a pic or diagram of this pivot bolt or cable that may have come loose just so i know what im looking for ?? also do all the linkage bolts have to be as tight as possible or do that have to have some play so the linkage can move ?

thanks alot mike :lol:
NTH347X Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395
DOC 639
Hi mike,

I had a complaint where the linkage was floppy as sh*t and it was could be the pivot bolt. Well it turned out that the pivot bolt was not a proper manufactured bolt with a special sleeve, instead it was a bog standard bolt with no bush at all lol... Deloreans love them or hate them, therefore I bought:

[Image: 4-2-0.gif]

Figure 8 which is the bush and if you need any I think I have some spare, however I don't think this will help your shifting. It should only help your floppyness and prevent the metal on metal clunking when changing gear, not the actual selecting.

Thanks mate

Richard
Richard Milliken
DOC 417
Vin #10163.

Kevin Milliken

[Image: Signa-1.jpg]
Could even be in the gearbox itself.

2nd Gear Selector roll pin has a habit of breaking on the UN1 and it makes getting 2nd a bit of a pig sometimes. Had this myself on my D and on one of my old Esprits. The box may need to be split and the roll pin replaced.

Check everything like joints and bushes before going down this route as a gearbox rebuild costs about £150-£250 Shock

Dan
Hey all,

Just finished with LEX in the garage before M.O.T tomorrow.
Other problems look sorted, but the one remaining is my complaint about the car not going from 3rd to 2nd, or 4th to 2nd or 5th to 2nd, once the car has been warmed up and travelling for 10-15mins on the road.
Martin recommended adjusting the cable link, but my family friend mechanic who has agreed to take on LEX for odd jobs, says the cable seems fine, and would more likely suspect a synchro-mesh issue instead.
(Expensive, as that means taking apart the gearbox etc)

SO, i still have my 2nd gear issue, ready for heading down to Chirk next week for the June event.
I was just wondering if anyone had any tricks up their sleeve for maybe taking another look at it for me for a second opinion next weekend while we are all met up?
In case he is mistaken in his assumption up here in Edinburgh.
If there WAS any chance, then i just wanted to ask well enough ahead of time so that any willing volunteers could bring, or advise me to bring any certain tools for this task.

Otherwise this will have to wait until next year now, at least.

CHEERS!!! Big Grin
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Rissy Wrote:my family friend mechanic who has agreed to take on LEX for odd jobs, says the cable seems fine, and would more likely suspect a synchro-mesh issue instead.

If the gearstick refuses to move into 2nd

I's a really, really simple adjustment - just bring the gearstick fractionally over to the right. The problem is you can't pull the stick far enough to the left to get into the 2nd gate. You CAN if you lift the stick as if for reverse - just don't pull it so far to the left that you actually GET reverse. I bet 2nd is perfectly easy to select under the car moving the linkage by hand.

Synchros never fail on these gearboxes under normal use - especially not after <30k miles.

Honestly, it's a 30 second adjustment - really easy if you have a 24mm spanner that's been cut in half (just a bit more of a faff otherwise!).... I replaced the clutch not long before Jay sold you the car and it's really common for the crossgate to settle a bit after any gearbox-out work. A small amount of adjustment makes a lot of difference.

Just before Christmas we re-adjusted Chris Hawes' linkage for the exact same problem.

If you can physically move the lever into 2nd but there appears to be nothing there, or crunches unless you do some creative rev-matching

This is a different issue form that above where the lever won't move. This is typical of the 2nd gear selector fork roll pin having snapped. That job requires the gearbox be removed and split apart. We've actually had a run of clutch work recently and two gearboxes with broken roll pins. It's a known problem on the UN1 but like clutches, seems to crop up more on DeLoreans. I suspect this is down to most americans not knowning how to drive a manual transmission properly....
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Rissy,

I've got gear issues too, but mines a different problem.

If you can live with the gearbox as it is for the drive down to Chirk next week, RichH will be there from Friday evening, he's spent enough time sorting out my gears for me so I'm sure he wont mind having a quick butchers at yours.

We're gonna have a bit of a 'tech sesh' anyway on Saturday afternoon Smile
Guinney1971 Wrote:Rissy,

I've got gear issues too, but mines a different problem.

If you can live with the gearbox as it is for the drive down to Chirk next week, RichH will be there from Friday evening, he's spent enough time sorting out my gears for me so I'm sure he wont mind having a quick butchers at yours.

We're gonna have a bit of a 'tech sesh' anyway on Saturday afternoon Smile

This would be awesome, if possible! I have no choice in attempting to get LEX down with the gears the way they are. On the motorways, this should not be a problem, its just smaller roads which demand more gear changing that it's an issue. Especially, with having to fully stop at every roundabout to get back into first gear, and THEN second! I don't want to burn out my clutch riding it out through the rev range, stuck in third all the time!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)