Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, heres a good question...
...Instead of getting my D shipped, can I fly to the US via one-way airline ticket, drive the D when I get there and get back somehow (are their ferries coming from the US to the UK?)

Yes I know there is a long time to wait but I think about a lot of stuff in advance! Smile
"How cool would it be if we just came across a DeLorean!" -Alex off The Apprentice Big Grin
Money in the DMC fund: £412 aprox. - Target: £15,000
hi there

you can but you might be the only one on the freight ship :lol: :lol:
lol there are no ferries that do that trip. Even if they did it would still be cheaper getting one imported via pj's
DOC 527
Vin #10264
LOL I didnt think there would be a ferry that does that!

I know exactly what D I want, its VIN 666, I have a deal with a guy in the US to buy it off him in 4 years (turbomcfly85 from DMCTalk), so I cant just get one from PJ Grady.
"How cool would it be if we just came across a DeLorean!" -Alex off The Apprentice Big Grin
sure you can, im sure they would be willing to help you out with importing it, getting it road legal here.
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Cool! Smile

Is importing cheaper and easier when done through PJ Grady? What is done when making it road legal here, anyway, I know you have to put fog lights in but what else? And how much extra will it run me to get PJ Grady to do this stuff for me? How easy is it to do yourself? (I do intend to maintain my D myself).

Sorry for all the questions 4 years before I get my D but like I said, thinking of things in advance, its what I do Big Grin
hi

you can convert your brake lights into fog lights with out putting a fog light on the back that you can do your self matey most things are easiy to do
Cool! Smile

Thanks, the DeLorean community is very helpful!
hi

you can also paint (or use a red led cluster) red one of the reversing lights, has to be right side.

then wire in to the fog switch which needs to light wehn on (with dipped or full beam lights)

the mot is vague on this, as long as a red light comes on at the back. i uded to import mx5's and i used to use a small LED bike strip, just under the rear bumper. looked fantastic compared to the ugly bolt on fog (like the RING one)
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Flux Capacitor Wrote:...Instead of getting my D shipped, can I fly to the US via one-way airline ticket, drive the D when I get there and get back somehow (are their ferries coming from the US to the UK?)

Yes I know there is a long time to wait but I think about a lot of stuff in advance! Smile

You can air-freight the car, like DMC done with the first production cars back in June 81.
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

[Image: DSC_0112-1.jpg]
Live the Dream today, Because I did it yesterday.
Flux Capacitor Wrote:Cool! Smile

Is importing cheaper and easier when done through PJ Grady? What is done when making it road legal here, anyway, I know you have to put fog lights in but what else? And how much extra will it run me to get PJ Grady to do this stuff for me? How easy is it to do yourself? (I do intend to maintain my D myself).

Sorry for all the questions 4 years before I get my D but like I said, thinking of things in advance, its what I do Big Grin

Have you spoken to Grady's yet? Having said that, I dont think any company would be willing
to quote for work 4 years in advance on a car they possibly havent seen.

Also, the car might be good now (I dont know what #666 is like tbh, havent looked into it), but over the next 4 years, anything could happen.

In the immortal words...... "calm down dear!" :wink:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Its 10666, and it will be good in 4 years coz its in the hands of a guy who restores cars for a living, I think its a project for him at the moment.
Flux,

I admire your willingness to own a DeLorean..but..

The exchange rate could adjust drastically in 4 years, meaning it wouldnt be worth it to import a car from the US.

Once you have the money, see what cars are available here.

4 years is a long time....
True, and I will see, all I have to do is explain why I cant buy it and he will sell it to someone else, its not like its being custom built just for me.
If you've not left a deposit or signed a contract, then he is under no obligation to sell the car to you, and likewise, you have no obligation to buy the car from him.

Like Al says, 4 years is a long time..............
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie