Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A BIG HELLO TO EVERYONE IN THE CLUB
Hi Mike,
regarding chroming DeLorean wheels.....my day job is Chrome plating and I would definitely not do it! The shape is not conducive to plating of any sort. The recesses are too deep,the spokes too close together, to allow any decent covering of plating in between them.

Stripping the paint off and polishing the alloy is nice option. I did that on one of my cars and so has another club member, John. But there are maintenance issues...it needs rubbing up and metal polishing occasional, especially when its been wet.
I think a rarely nice paint job is the way to go (IMO).
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
mec Wrote:also does anyone know where i can get tyres for the standard dmc wheels with the white writing on the side ? any help would be much appreciated !

thanks all

mike c :lol: 8)

Mike,

General XP2000 Tyres will fit the rear and they have white wall writing on them (I have them on my car see pic below), they are universal so you can fit them to either side of the car so if you get board of the writing you can swap them round so it is hidden.

They seem to be quite well priced from what I remember, also they seem to last very well if you are only doing low mileage. Pirrelli tyres are very good but don't seem to have a great shelf life before they craze on the side walls.

I think Al Vanstone has just bought some General's for his car so he'll be more up to date on the pricing side of things.

James

[Image: dmc2.jpg]
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Whichever tyres you go for just remember some makes are uni directional ie: they have to be installed in the direction the car travels.
hi all
thanks for all the different bits of info, im taking it all on board, ive decided im not going to chrome my wheels now but i have been thinking about the polish option, at the mo though im just gona get the tyres for them and put them on as i think the original wheels were actually refurbed in america so are all in good nick, we will see ! watch this space ! lol

thanks all

mike
NTH347X Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395
DOC 639
hi

personally, i would stick to the stock look, colour for your car.

i think JD got it right, and they cannot be improved upon.

i blasted mine, powder coated, rubbed down then repainted the correct grey, then laquered!.

also make sure you stick to the correct tyre size, hence the pirellis.

there are not many that will fit, and again i like to stick to the stock correct width and profile size. (and so do insurance companies!). judding by many owners comments, the pirellis do seem to get the best grip.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
hi all

i have another question for you guys, does anyone have 205s fitted to the front of their de, ive found the tyres i want with the white writing but they can only do the fronts in 205s, has anyone done this ? do they look ok ?

mike
NTH347X Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395
DOC 639
thay will probably hit the wheel arch TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
yes i would keep to oem.

even if they fit, they may hit the wheel arch or possibly anti roll bar when turning.

i never like to change the width on the same rim.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
the chrome wheels that are on there at the moment are 205s, they touch very slightly on full lock but nothning to worry about, maybe i could put a 5mm spacer on to compensate ?

mike
NTH347X Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395
DOC 639
nice one pleased you got yourself a delorean well worth the wait , :wink:
cheers tracey
vin 6484
rhd
(marty)
doc 421
Delorean Dream within a Dream
roll on eurotec 2009 love you all