Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shipping
Hi All,

Im new to the forum, but have been looking around for a good while now.

Im looking at importing a Delorean and just wondered what shipping companies poeple have used before?
I live in Stockport, near Manchester so a company that will ship to Liverpool would be best.

Ive looked around on the net and sent off a few online quotes but only had one back up to now.

If anyone can recommend anything that would be great.

Also what happens when the car reaches the UK port? Is VAT payable at that point? how does it work once the cars at the port?

Ive also read that as the car was originally manufactured within the UK that no duty (10%) is payable, does this work?

Thanks,
Phil.
transglobal go to liverpool. I've used them before.

they're at tgal.us.
speak to Chris and Darren at PJ Grady - they will give you some top info
on importing a car from the US.

If you've not got a car yet, they may also be able to help you source one
through their contacts in the USA.

Good luck mate!! Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Gradys use thamesport (a lot cheaper than Liverpool - trust me).
We use Thamesport because it's closest to where we're based.

I don't think any one shipping company is better than another - after all, all they're realy doing is organising to put your car in a 20ft container - and pay the fees, etc when it arrives.

Happy to offer shipping advice if it's required.

Essentially though, what normally happens is that the transporter collects the car, puts it on the boat, and when it arrives, you have to fill out a form declaring what the car is and it's value. The transportwer will normally pay the port fees and VAT for you, and then invoice you for everything (including their fee) before releasing the car for you to collect.

VAT is 17.5% (as you know). Duty rate of 10% is cut down to a £50 flat fee admin charge providing it's a private import and providing you make this VERY CLEAR to the shipping company ahead of time....and state this on the 384 form.

Drop me a mail if you need any help....

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk