Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New owner and VIN6383
Finally took delivery of VIN6383 last Thursday and it wasn't until Saturday that I got to drive it properly. I took it for a run around Malvern, which if any of you know the town, is lots of narrow roads and steep hills.

The best way I can think of describing it is as a cross between a go-kart and a tractor. Strangely, that's not meant as a negative comment. It's low and when I got used to it, the driving position is very comfortable and when moving above 10mph is easy and relaxing to drive. I'm still learning the gearbox and do find second a touch tricky and reverse can take a couple of goes if there's an audience watching. The turning circle of the car is large and the brakes less responsive than modern cars (as one would expect).

The car looks amazing though. There's no other car that beats it on looks (in my opinion anyway) and when I pull the door closed, it likes being cacooned in a leather cockpit. But the best of bit of all is the excitment I feel when driving it, I haven't felt that way since I first learnt to drive and I don't think that I would feel that way if it didn't have a few warts.

Tomorrow I'll see how it fairs on the country lanes.
DOC 529
VIN 6383
Congratulations on your purchase Smile

I hope you have many miles of pleasure in your D Big Grin

We are all here to help if you have any queries or issues.

Nice one

NickT
I used to work for a company in Malvern and occasionally took my DeLorean over there. Glad you are enjoying your new car. You certainly have some great scenery to drive it around in.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
hi are you the guy that came to see a delorean for sale in ross a couple of months ago,if so im glad to see you finally found one,i sold mine to a guy in buckinghamshire but still have that massive amount of parts left {didnt let it go with car}if you need anything youv got my number mate.
Yep, welcome aboard.
Hope you have plenty of fun in your new D. Big Grin
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
welcome.

how un-responsive are your brakes. I would hope that your car brakes would respond well, regardless Smile
enjoy your D (I'm a recent member to the Gang myself!) have you sat in the car gobsmacked in a garage or drive with a beer yet??? I spent some time doing that! car nearly turned me into an Alcoholic :lol:

No Idea where you live but hope we meet up soon!

regards Jamie Flanagan

PRODUCT OF NORTHERN IRELAND. Smile
Vin #1458
My reputition proceeds me....>
Hi all,

thanks for the warm welcome, I'm still rather nervous about owning and driving a D so the support is appreciated.

blknight -> no, that wasn't me. The nice chaps at PJ Grady imported and restored my car.

Barson -> the brakes are no less responsive than my other half's Saab, so I'm not that worried. I'm used to them now.

We took it out round the country lanes and it was much more fun than round town. It sunk into the bends a treat and seems to be much more responsive at speed. I got it up to 65mph, which isn't exactly fast but there were a lot of old fogies on the road and I'm not confident enough to overtake yet.

A couple of questions for the more experienced:

1. Do the lamps in the doors drain the battery? If so, how fast?
2. Should the light in the engine bay come on when the engine cover is lifted?
3. Best way to clean it? I've used a stainless steal cleaner (no water) and cleaned it with the grain of the metal. It looks a bit streaky to be honest.
4. I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but, what sort of mpg should I expect?
5. Does anyone know a good way to clear oil stains off a driveway?
6. Can I raise the height of the steering wheel easily? It looks like I should be able to raise it an inch.

Well there are more but I think that's enough for one post! If there are any other owners in the west midlands, it would be good to catch up!

Hope you're all well!
DOC 529
VIN 6383
Dyf Wrote:Hi all,A couple of questions for the more experienced:

1. Do the lamps in the doors drain the battery? If so, how fast?
2. Should the light in the engine bay come on when the engine cover is lifted?
3. Best way to clean it? I've used a stainless steal cleaner (no water) and cleaned it with the grain of the metal. It looks a bit streaky to be honest.
4. I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but, what sort of mpg should I expect?
5. Does anyone know a good way to clear oil stains off a driveway?
6. Can I raise the height of the steering wheel easily? It looks like I should be able to raise it an inch.
!

1. yes they do, best to replace with LED's - there are plenty on here that have done it and it does mean you can leave the doors open at a show and they wont drain your battery Smile

2. Not necessarily - mine doesnt, and they were a bit unrealiable TBH - also, I did hear that they get very hot and are probably left disconnected!

3. I clean mine using normal car shampoo/Fairy Liquid, rinse off, dry with a microfibre, then use a good quality stainless steel cleaner to give it a really good finish. I have some stainless cleaner here (PM me for info) and I think Dave Howarth (Club President, contact details on website and in Mag) has some really good stainless cleaner too.

4. Well, it depends how your car is set up, how good the bits are and how you drive it Smile I suppose you've got to be looking 17-27mpg as a guesstimate - most people get an average of 22-25mpg.

5. Some sort of degreaser or detergent and lots of hot water I find helps, you might find pressure washing it will help too, but be carefull of blasting sand out if your drive is block paved.

6. There is an adjuster under the steering column (right hand side I think, but could be wrong), which will allow you to adjust the column to suit you - look out for the bushing at the bottom of the column though, they are notorious for either coming loose or being missing.

Hope this helps, congratulations on your new purchase, and welcome to the DOC! Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Glad your enjoying the new car

In answer to your questions:

Quote:1. Do the lamps in the doors drain the battery? If so, how fast?

Yes. The bulbs are 5Watts each. Thats 30Watts total, pulling 2.5 Amps. If you left your doors open all day, you could find it a struggle to start the engine.

Quote:2. Should the light in the engine bay come on when the engine cover is lifted?

Yes. But often the switch at the front of the engine compartment (next to the ballast resistors) is disconnected for shows. Also the light has been known not to switch off when the cover is closed. The lamp then over heats, melts and can catch fire Shock

Quote:3. Best way to clean it? I've used a stainless steal cleaner (no water) and cleaned it with the grain of the metal. It looks a bit streaky to be honest.

A very debatable topic. Plain old soapy water is best. I have generally been disapointed with many of the stainless cleaners as most leave a greasy 'protective' film - this tends to pick up dust very quickly. The 3M one is very good, as is the giant tin of stuff that we got free from the club a the last EuroTec.

Don't use WD40 as this will turn your stainless yellow over time. Baby oil is OK, but it's greasy and the flies love it :?

Quote:4. I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but, what sort of mpg should I expect?

In town around mid 20's, on a good clean motorway run, mid 30's

Quote:5. Does anyone know a good way to clear oil stains off a driveway?

If I did, I'd be a very rich man. Big Grin

Quote:6. Can I raise the height of the steering wheel easily? It looks like I should be able to raise it an inch.

Right had side of the steering column is a knob, loosen it. You have up/down and in/out.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Ha, beat me to it Claire!
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
RichH Wrote:Ha, beat me to it Claire!
yeah, but you were a lot more techie - plus I was typing fast as I knew
you'd probably be on replying too! Tongue

BTW - put a couple of cracking photos of you on the Vauxhall forum tonight
in the Billing 2008 photos section :lol:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi Dyf

I personally want to thank you, and your lovely wife for being the one of the most patient owners that we have ever had the pleasure of rebuilding a car for. This is the second RHD we as a company have produced, and hand on heart it was a back breaker, she took way way to long thankfully Dyf was patient with us (For that he deserves a medal)! in the end we got her out.

Welcome to the club, their are a lot of good people/owners on here only to happy to help. Once again thank you for being yourself and 'keeping in their'

Best wishes!

Chris Nicholson

PJGrady.co.uk
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Hi,

You can replace the bulb in the engine compartment with an LED as well, then it won't get hot Big Grin
VIN: 6511
Enjoy your D! Smile
"How cool would it be if we just came across a DeLorean!" -Alex off The Apprentice Big Grin
Money in the DMC fund: £412 aprox. - Target: £15,000