Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recovering Steering Wheels
Hi All

Has anyone had any experience in getting their steering wheels recovered ?
We did Mat's for him (Frenchy) and the results were absolutely superb, however it is expensive to have it done that well. £250 with about a week's turnaround but without and shadow of a lie, it come sback looking and feeling twice as good as new. One of those things where you instantly see where your money has gone.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I saw this particular steering wheel at DMCL and have to agree that it is better than OEM. I bought a 'new' OEM steering wheel from DMCH at their open house event in 2003 which cost around £150. I sold my old one (leather was split and 'green' in places from sun damage in Arizona) on Ebay for £43.

The OEM feels like there is little cushioning (if any) between the leather and the steering wheel. The re-covered one although not stock looking (visibly more chunky) is better for it. It is kind of squidgy in a good way to grip.

Mat, if you want to swap let me know :wink:
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
£150 thats not bad for a new OEM steering wheel.

I would love to see a pic of Matts wheel just so i can make my mind up. mine is starting to look a little too worn in places. I will drop him a line.

Yes I agree the the OEM wheel does feel a little hard compared with modern equivalents.
Dave howarth had one done for around £100 Lee Paterson i think, he done my r/h knee pad
Cheers tony TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
What alot of people dont realize, is, if you take the leather off your steering wheel, it actually still looks pretty good underneath!

It still has the steering wheel grip pattern on it too!

I removed mine after it got VERY worn, and it doesnt look that bad.

I will recover it eventually, but £250 is a best spent elsewhere on the D. Seeing as its not that bad without it anyway.
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
I remember i saw it at the NEC Paul, and i thought it looked good.
cheers toyn TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Chris Hawes Wrote:The OEM feels like there is little cushioning (if any) between the leather and the steering wheel. The re-covered one although not stock looking (visibly more chunky) is better for it. It is kind of squidgy in a good way to grip.

Actually it's not at all bigger - if anything it's slightly "slimmer". it feels very different because you can actually feel the padding beneath the leather which is new and supple. I guess this fools your brain into thinking you're gripping something fatter, but it's only over the original padding

The only reason it doesn't look stock is that the new leather isn't shiny, it's nore of a matt black and that always looks grey compared to gloss black
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk