Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarification of engine please
I was hoping that someone can clarify an engine query for me, I appreciate that this has probably been asked before so if so I apologise. Anyway the engine in a Delorean, it's a B28E right? not F or anything. Was there any other vehicles that had the identical engine fitted. ie; Volvo, Etc yes I know its a PRV. If so regarding Volvo's what were the differences. Pistons, Heads or whatever and what is interchangeable between them? Heads? Block, pistons, liners Etc Etc??
Thanks
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
waiting for Martin to answer.... Big Grin
The engine in the Delorean is a B28F
The engine in a volvo 260 estate is a B28E

F-Federal
E-Europe

Main difference is the compression ratio due to the crown on the pistons.
The B28F has a lower compression about 8.8:1 and the european about 9.2 to 9.5:1 if memory serves me right.

John and I compared his 1982 volvo scrapyard engine and all appeared and measured identical ie camshafts crank valves etc.

The block was slightly different wrt the oil sender but for £50 for a good clean running engine it didn't matter that much.

The lower sandwich block and sump had to be transferred too.

Fuel injection wise you can remove all the injection components ie venturi fuel distributor cpr (wur) and spark distributor from a B28E and install them on the delorean engine. Don't connect the thermo-vac pipe. The oxygen sensor is not used as it isn't a ke-jetronic system.
Fit a cat-bypass and set the CO to 2% with the ignition timing set to 10 deg btdc with spark distributor vac advance disconnected.
This is how it is in Rich's and Johns engine

There are probably other differences I haven't mentioned.

NickT.
Opps forgot the other one Big Grin
hey cheeky.... Big Grin

hey what's this about a lotus 2.2 turbo in the engine bay ! 8)

sounds interesting !

NickT.
The DeLorean engine is a RENUALT B29 engine destined for the Swiss market late Renault 25 & 30 with emissions controls. DMC got it thorugh US regulations by sourcing the compoinents through Volvo (according to Barrie Wills). Therefore it has mechanical components in common with the B28F volvo engine but the ancillaries are different, although several cross-ref to the Volvo B27 engine. ALL of the engines are K-Jetronic. The Volvo engines have a pump on top of the right rocker cover which makes it different. Interestingly, the DeLorean camshaft has the extra cam to drive the same pump but it isn't used.

KE Jetronic is a later style mechanical system with a less restrictive metering flap. KE was used on several turbo cars and runs mapped ignition and injection.

The static compression ratio of the DeLorean engine is 8.8:1, the European (non lambda) B28E (easiest source of alternative components) is 9.6:1 generated by a considerably higher dome on the pistons. Heads are identical. Cams I've never verified for myself but #4426 definitely runs differently with its B28E cams.

The CPR on a B28E is not advisable on the DeLorean because it does not provide enough accellerator deflection enrichment when cold. The distributor advance on the DeLorean is plumbed up differently too.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
K-Jetronic and KE-Jetronic are both mechanical injection, so how can the KE be mapped?
http://www.covintechnical.pwp.blueyonde ... tech_2.htm

I'm helping a friend graft an RS turbo engine into a mk 2 Fiesta. To anser your question, it's still a CI system but the ECU dynamically controls the primary pressure. There's no control pressure line and the sensor flap is simply counterbalanced rather than resistive, and a pot sits on the pivot.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Not exactly what I thought when you refered to being mapped as in the injection being digitally controlled at the injector.

The DeLorean does this already albeit in simpler feedback form by controling the bleed off valve, Frequency Valve, or 'Electrohydraulic pressure actuator"

I have the info on the RS Turbo setup if you need it.

NickT.
So basically yes they are the same, ie; block and heads are interchangeable? Would the volvo engine then be slightly more powerfull with the different pistons or would it be better to use D pistons in a volvo block? and are all the cams etc the same in a Volvo head?
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
If you can get hold of a complete B28E engine then this would be the way i would go. Tom I has this more powerful engine in his D from a volvo. Looking at it you cant tell thou, which is one of the reasons why i like it.
If you get hold of a complete B28E engine then this would be the way i would go about swapping an engine out. Tom I has this more 'powerful' engine in his D from a Volvo. Looking at it you cant tell thou, which is one of the reasons why i like it.
bozzzydmc Wrote:If you can get hold of a complete B28E engine then this would be the way i would go. Tom I has this more powerful engine in his D from a volvo. Looking at it you cant tell thou, which is one of the reasons why i like it.
Tom being?
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Club / forum member 'tom inman'
It's me with the volvo engine. It is a bit different, Rich pointed out the differences to me at donnington, otherwise you cant tell!,a microswitch and some tubes missing i think, (i'm not very technical.) The power increase isn't that much i don't think either, I drove a few when I was thinking of buying one and call me numb but i cant tell the difference. If you want any pics i'll see what i can do.
tom
vin 7155
DOC372