Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean in Old Town, Florida
Evening folks,

I've only just got back from a holiday in Florida, but I wanted to tell you about a car cruise I went to on the last day. It isn't the sort of cruise we get over here that's dominated by chavs, but a much more civilised affair that's been going on for 17 years where about 200 classic cars turn up every week and cruise slowly down the bricked streets of a place called Old Town, in Kissimmee, Florida.

I've been going once a year for those 17 years and always just seen the usual 'Stangs, 'Vettes, Chargers etc, but this time as I glanced around to see what was coming along next I was greeted with the sight of a tidy D with a more bassy engine note than normal.

After the cruise all the cars go round to the car park and line-up so people can look at the cars and talk to the owners, so I headed round as soon as it had finished and found the car.

I introduced myself to the owner, who was a really pleasant chap, and told him about the scene in the UK. Apparently he'd paid just $20,000 (about £11,000!) for the car not the long ago, and had had a turbo installed; hence the different engine noise.

The car was in really good nice, and had a VIN number starting with 16, and early wheels and a gas flap.

I have put some photos in below, but I apologise for some of them being a little bit less than clear because it was dark and they kept blurring.

I've added a shot of the licence plate in case it means anything to anyone, as I didn't get the guy's name. It says Polk county on it, so he can't have come far as our house is in Polk county as well and it's only a few miles up the road.

Enjoy.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb88 ... 008057.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb88 ... 008058.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb88 ... 008052.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb88 ... 008051.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb88 ... 008054.jpg
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
Ive been to the Old Town in 2003 I think it was. What an excellent event, and its every week. When I was there they had live music and were playing old car adverts on the speaker system. The atmosphere was brilliant and I need to go again Big Grin

The D looks really tidy. No eyebrows either. Wonder how long till they come back with the florida sun.
VIN: 6511
thats well tidy for an early vin - not sure about the rear spoiler tho.....
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Yeah I thought the spoiler was a bit sus too.

Apart from that though the car was in really tidy condition.

I looked at the VIN plate and I'm sure it started with 16, but I can't remember the rest.
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
Claire Usher Wrote:thats well tidy for an early vin - not sure about the rear spoiler tho.....
Yeah he's ruined the car with the spoiler! All he needs to do now is take it off haha! Other than that yes, a mint example! Good to see he has some boost going on hehe!
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
Not sure, but I rekon' the spoiler could be an after-market, proper Delorean thing, cos my car had the identical one on it when I bought it & if you look on the back cover of the 'Gold Portfolio' book there is one on there with the same thing on it. If you go to the 'main' part of our website, there is a pic of my car before I owned it, in the section marked 'super car sunday'.
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
Bandit Wrote:Not sure, but I rekon' the spoiler could be an after-market, proper Delorean thing, cos my car had the identical one on it when I bought it & if you look on the back cover of the 'Gold Portfolio' book there is one on there with the same thing on it.

There was a company in the US which used to flog 'em years ago. They used to advertise in the DOA magazine back in the day.

One of the other aftermarket products that used to be available was a burl-wood interior kit which went on the steering wheel centre cap and on some parts of the centre console, presumably to make your DeLorean look like a Rover! :wink:
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Oh right... I still think it looks out of place, even if it was a legit aftermarket addition.
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
I don't know how legit it is really mate, I think they were just knocked up by a small independent accessories vendor. Big Grin

Pretty handy for resting your McDonalds on when you're at a car show though. Just be careful if you supersize!

[Image: 60.jpg]
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Jonny Jones Wrote:
Claire Usher Wrote:thats well tidy for an early vin - not sure about the rear spoiler tho.....

Long live the wing!

[Image: JamesRG2.jpg]

[Image: JamesRG1.jpg]

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
James! Does this mean that VIN 5462 is now all back together, full leather interior et all?!

Cheers,

Phil
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
The problem I found with the one that was on mine, it was so heavy, the strutts could not hold the louvre board up.
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
Phil Peters Wrote:James! Does this mean that VIN 5462 is now all back together, full leather interior et all?!

Cheers,

Phil

Almost there, not quite finished inside but hoping to put it in for the MOT on Tuesday. I wouldn't be supprised if it fails on somthing stupid, then again it has been of the road for about 5 years!

Fingers crossed it Should be with me for euro tech.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Dan1986 Wrote:Ive been to the Old Town in 2003 I think it was. What an excellent event, and its every week. When I was there they had live music and were playing old car adverts on the speaker system. The atmosphere was brilliant and I need to go again Big Grin

The D looks really tidy. No eyebrows either. Wonder how long till they come back with the florida sun.

Yeah it is really nice. I love the weekly cruises there.

If you ever want to go again and fancy renting a villa just up the road then let me know because we do discounted rates for DOC members.

Also, has anyone else noticed that it looks like he's got his spoiler on back-to-front?
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
JamesRGUK Wrote:
Phil Peters Wrote:James! Does this mean that VIN 5462 is now all back together, full leather interior et all?!

Cheers,

Phil

Almost there, not quite finished inside but hoping to put it in for the MOT on Tuesday. I wouldn't be supprised if it fails on somthing stupid, then again it has been of the road for about 5 years!

Fingers crossed it Should be with me for euro tech.

James

lol, no offence meant James!! :lol: I remember the spoiler on 'Kuc', off a
Peugeot wasnt it?

Be great to see you and your car again after all this time Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie