Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tense delorean moment
Hi All

took my car out first time fow three weeks today.

got towards centre of wolverhampton......car braking with no pedal pressure, then smoke from one wheel. fire extinguisher at home!

piston locks on, so i can't move, blocking all traffic then the fire brigade turn up!.

luckily it was just the pad cooking a bit. reverse seemed to release it so managed to get to the works car park!.

then someone from next doors office called in reception wanting to take pics, so he sat in and car would not hot start!.

jumped the cold start valve, started, limped home then the indicators packed up!.

oh dear
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
So u reversed all the way to your work carpark!? Shock

Always leave a fire extinguisher in the D... better safe than sorry!

Start from getting your braking system sorted, that's the important bit~

Glad you and the D is safely back home!
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Sorry to hear that Sad Things like this are bad because the public see it and it just adds to the 'deloreans are unreliable' mentality :?
VIN: 6511
shame that.

so what's the order of business? how old's your accumulator?
hi

thanx all

accumulator is brand new, fitted a few months ago.

there is another hot start fix on the distributor...from specialtauto.

the calipers were rebuilt, but a might order stainless pistons and another rebuild kit and this time do it myself.

also i will order a new brake master, as it is original.

the indicators i will check the fuses

it is a shame as you say this will be on pistonheads or somewhere as a sighting of a broken down D.

so she's off the road for a couple of weeks!.

regards all
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
one thing i have found with these cars is they don't like being sat around too long, if its one that has been brought over from the states, chances are its been standing for years and needs a few runs to clear its lungs as they say.

I have had hot starting problems in the past and never really found the cause :x Aircon can discharge when not used and binding brakes only need a good squirt of wd40 or similar under the seals, at least yours is running im having to put another engine in mine so i can rebuild my original. Mind you it will at least be running a lower compression to allow for turbo.
Dont let it worry you too much steve as you get these problems from time to time TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Sorry to hear about your difficulties Steve.

I'd like to comment on cars that have been standing around. I have just removed and investigated the the fuel tank on Vin 510.
It was full of rusty crap, plenty to block all of the whole fuel system. I'm just glad I looked before trying to start it.

Another thing I have noticed on recent cars is the hard scaly muck that can build up under the rubber jointing pieces on the cooling pipe connectors. They can actually corrode right through, loosing coolant. ( I am sure you have discussed this before but its worth re-iterating).
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
At least you are in one piece.

Just a quick note, a partially collapsed brake hose can cause a caliper to lock on too so while you are investigating, at least take the hose off and have a look, or replace it if the caliper has been rebuilt.

Brake pads are from a cortina:

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=800

I have a spare OEM distributor you could use in the meantime.
If you are referring to the distributor pick up coil going open circuit when hot, you can check this with a multimeter.
Trace the lead from the distributor to a whitish connector near the bulkhead. Remove the connector and measure resistance between here and the engine block. Should be 600 ohms thereabouts.

If you turn your ignition key to position 2, does your fuel pump run for 2 to 4 seconds to prime the fuel system ?

Good luck.

Nick.
Replied to:

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2048

NickT
Hi Steve

Sorry to hear that mate wolvo ring road aswell, not good. Me and phil will be down the bell soon you will have to come for a pint.
Rob Jones
Vin#10554
DOC 526
Hi

yes thanx all, very tense when you smell burning in your D, kep looking out the back!.

Hi Rob, yes will meet for a beer...nice to bring the D this time...how is yours coming along?.

right, the calipers have been rebuilt by a workshop, the wheel bearings brand new, the shield repainted, the flexi hose changed to stainless, new pads all round, new discs all round.

the only thing i did not change was the brake master...although cannot see how it could be if one wheel only was locking up....surely both fronts off 1 chamber?.

i will change the brake master and take the caliper off. maybe some dirt has got into the pipe, or the new piston is the wrong size. does anywhere stock a rebuild kit with stainless pistons (in the UK)?.

thankyou again..she is now back safe in the lockup!.

regards
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370