Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st car
Completly off topic this but here goes -

After i (hopefully) pass my driving test, i want to get a car to get me to work and back everyday - and maybe to an odd DOC event.

Can anyone suggest a reliable make/model of car?
Alexander Adams
Hull, East Yorkshire
DOC member - 389
Reg of first D experience - HEC 6T
Well im still riding round in a 1989 austin metro.....
havent done anything to it in the 3yrs ive owned it.
(apart from a new door and steering column where someone pinched it!)
insurance wise - £1500 1st yr - 3rd party fire and theft
this yr - £860 - 3rd party fire and theft - 1yrs NCB
Hope this helps - Dave
Dave S
DOC #479
Wiltshire
A Ford Fester.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
Much appreciated :lol:
Alexander Adams
Hull, East Yorkshire
DOC member - 389
hiya,

I remember my first car, UEB121S, a Mini 850 that was more Isopon P38, newspaper and rust then metal Smile ah..... (bring on those rose tinted specs...)

On a more serious note though, generally, if you get something small engined (ie under 1.4 litres), with a good safety record, low CO2 emissions (therefore cheaper road tax), and something not too quirky, you shouldnt go wrong. Its always worth checking out the buyer's guides in magazines like Autocar, and also www.euroncap.com will give you the vital stats on how cars have done in independent crash tests.

I suppose it depends on your budget, but small cars like the VW Lupo/Seat Arosa (same car, different badge), VW Polo/Seat Ibiza (ditto) Renault Clio, Vauxhall Corsa (ok, so all the Chavs love em), Citroen Saxo (even bigger Chav Points and free Burberry Cap) and the Fiat Punto are all cheap to buy and run.

Whilst it is always tempting to go and buy a 'banger' for a few hundred quid, unless you know what you're looking for, you could end up with a whole heap of trouble. And, yes I drive an 'old banger', but I've had the car 6 years and know it inside out, plus its fully maintained and has a proper MOT (rather then "here's £20, just stick a years ticket on that for us).

Avoid Chavved up Saxo's and Corsa's that look like they've gone head first into the accessory department at Halfords.

Another top tip, once you've passed your driving test, is to carry on to do your 'Pass Plus' and then take additional skills and awareness training and take the IAM or ROSPA tests. I did my IAM training 9 years ago, and it was well worth doing, as after 8 years on the road, I'd become complacent. The training was a real eye opener, and the test, which took around 2 hours, was conducted by a Police Driving Examiner.

If you see a car you fancy, PM me the details and I can probably check it out with my 'trade contacts' - or if you decide what make/model you want, I can also ask them to keep an eye out for one for you.

Remeber - Caveat Emptor (Let the Buyer Beware), and if it looks to good to be true, it probably is! Smile

Hope this helps,

Claire
Full Licence since 16th June 1989 Big Grin
Shackled to the Motor Trade since February 1992 Cry
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
dont get a citreaon, i now have an oldk reg golf and it runs nice, or go for a hondaif you want reliablity
DOC 527
Vin #10264
I was thinking of something like a Vauxhall Astra, my sister has just given birth so naturally she wants me to drive her around all over the place.

Are motorcycles cheaper to insure?
Alexander Adams
Hull, East Yorkshire
DOC member - 389
Hi Alex,

the Astra is a good, honest, sensible car - I've had 3 of my own plus several as company cars - but avoid the 16v 'Ecotec' models tho (they were nicknamed Eco Poo for a very good reason).

Astra's are plentiful and cheap to pick up - best choice of the Mk 3's is the 82PS 1.4 8v - the 60PS is a smidge more economical, but you'll notice the lack of power. Easiest way to spot an 82PS model is that it was only fitted to the LS (power steering ones only!), the GLS, Cesaro, Diamond, CD and Si (and poss one or two other Ltd Edn models). Also, the 1389cc engine brings it into the cheaper tax bracket. The 60PS engine was fitted to the Merit and non PAS LS models, plus a few 'entry level' special editions. Anything with a 'V-Grille- (95 model year onwards), will have power steering as standard, plus should also have the 'half moon' shaped key which has the transponder immobiliser fitted.

If you're looking at a Mk 4 Astra (Spring 1998 on), they are now excellent value for money - plus, you can get 'dual fuel' ones, which run on LPG as well as petrol (LPG is half the price of unleaded and you dont pay a whopping amount of duty to Mr Brown with LPG). These are available on ebay now for around £2000 and will save you a fortune in fuel bills - plus they are kinder to the environment as LPG produces zero CO2 emmissions.

As with any car, service history is important - they are roughly every 9-12000 miles on these cars, and cambelt changes are every 36000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first.

If you need any more info or help, dont hesitate to ask.

As for a motorbike, I had a Suzuki motorbike many years ago (I'd had my car licence about 4 years then), and although it cost bugger all to run, the insurance was more expensive then on my car, and I have to say, that I felt very vulnerable motorcycling in rush hour traffic as car driver's have very little time for bikers and often make out that they "dont see you", although I had a white crash helmet, always rode with my lights on and wore a dayglo vest over my bike leathers.

I'd love to get another motorbike, but 2 knee operations and another one pending mean that I cant get on a bike these days without being in excruciating agony Sad

Cheers,

Claire
"once you're in the motor trade, you'll never leave...... Cry "
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
MikeH Wrote:dont get a citreaon,

You either love 'em or hate 'em.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
The old veedubs are pretty good. My golf is showing 231000 miles and it made it to Birmingham and back before the NEC show, and it still starts up 'on the button' every morning. Further more it hasn't give me no trouble (yet)!!!!
Kelvin Tan
Ive had a Vauxhall Corsa 1ltr 12v for the last 4 years or so. Dead slow, but gets me from A to B. Was about £1800 for insurance when I was learning/just passed. Im now paying £350 Fully Comp in my name, but prob cos my house is in a nice area and its on a driveway and ive got 4 years no claims, well, I will have when its time to renew next year (hopefully!). Dont get a car with an engine over 1.1/1.2 as the insurance will be high and you might get a bit excited with the power you have. A car can be considered as a loaded gun, so be careful... coming from seeing mad mad mad people on the roads over the last 4/5 years.
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
hi

yes i would suggest a corsa, and if you want cheap the last shape 1 litre 12 valve, don't pay much and have tpft as fully comp will be astronomical.
i gues third party would be a grand plus even on a 1 litre corsa for a 17 year old.

if you are brave and have a bit more cash, find a good auction (like UK near us in walsall) go there several times. Particularly go for a 'direct' car from a lease company.

i had one for a while, bought as salvage though dealer contacts (1/2 price). only damage scratch on bumper (£80) and a damaged wheel rim (£20)

parts are dirt cheap.

perhaps an older fiesta.

personally for a first car, i would not really look at anything 'foreign' (i know corsas are'nt UK owned!!!) parts will always be more (i have owned mazda, bmw, citroen, ford, rover etc) and higher insurance in general.

as soon as you have some NCB then look at something different.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
My first car was a 1.1, 4 gear Metro.
Good cheap car and it doesnt look too bad if you prang it against anything!

Got mine for the price of a pint from someone down the local pub!
However, I then had to spend over £2K to get it road worthy :o

On the plus side though I learnt alot about cars doing it up.